Default Wonder Woman and The Monarchy

Given that DC actually did this for some time during and after the Jiminez run, should Themyscira abolish the monarchy again?

The smartest plot would be Diana (and Nubia) would become queens after Hippolyta, some major even occurs showing the faults of that system, and the two queen choose to abolish it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Spectacular Member

Just make It a elective monarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Just make It a elective monarchy
    That's not how monarchies work...
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It lends to interesting stories and sets them apart from most of the DCU but they'll never let Diana actually want the throne if someone has it so....

I think it would be stupid. They already did it with Atlantis. I don’t think they need to do it with Themyiscra.

Have as an idea for my "hypothetical last WW story" but don't see really see it as a problem for current WW comics.

I think the monarchy is cool and it adds to Diana's stature that she's a princess and royalty...although right now they're leaning into it more for Nubia as queen.

I don't see how much of a difference it'll make.

The Amazons always seemed to have a laissez faire approach to their monarchy. Hippolyta being Queen seemed more out of respect for her abilities than anything else. If she's not around, there was rarely a demand Diana take her place, and that seems to be the case even now with Nubia.

I think if the writers want certain characters to be active figures in the story, the monarchy is more a hindrance. Whoever is Queen is kind of stuck on the island, which is probably a big reason why Diana never takes the role if Hippolyta's not around.

Personally, I'm ambivalent to it. But so are the Amazons.

In my opinion, Diana can be Queen and still protect the world. Aquaman, Thor, and Black Panther does it. Why can’t Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    That's not how monarchies work...
    They did it in Historia. The goddesses chose the original Amazon queens but Hippolyta's tribe chose her.

Personally I think Historia should be Amazon canon but that aside I like the idea of "queen" and "princess" as titles rather than it functioning like an actual monarchy. Themyscira doesn't work like a real country anyway.