Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

The very start of this journey for ol' Oswald.

Extraordinary Member

The Penguin #1 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Rafael de Latorre

Penguin finding out Batman's secret identity? Someone ping Bendis!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The art was fantastic but I just couldn't get myself to care about the plot.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I liked it. Unlike the rest of the Bat books it feels very grounded and gritty.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Huh now that I remember, them being so scared of Cobblepot makes sense as even among the rogues he is particularly sadistic and violent, even more so than Joker in some cases.

Also of fucking course spoilers:
    Amanda Waller forces him back in the game. That woman is pathologically incapable of letting things be.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Huh now that I remember, them being so scared of Cobblepot makes sense as even among the rogues he is particularly sadistic and violent, even more so than Joker in some cases.

Amanda Waller forces him back in the game. That woman is pathologically incapable of letting things be.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Surprise connection to the wider DCU!!!
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

end of spoilers
    Does it, though?

Among Batman's villains, Penguin's always been the sane one. Not to say that he doesn't have a temper.

But then, this is Tom King, who had Oswald have carnal relations with an actual penguin, so...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Does it, though?

Among Batman's villains, Penguin's always been the sane one. Not to say that he doesn't have a temper.

But then, this is Tom King, who had Oswald have carnal relations with an actual penguin, so...
    Thats exactly what makes his violence so notable.

He is completely sane which makes for a contrast with how hideously violent and vengeful he can be. There being several stories of him horribly torturing people for insanely petty and minor reasons.

He's typically given the trait of being a barbaric violent monster to contrast the penguin imagery like in the Arkham games.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Penguin finding out Batman's secret identity? Someone ping Bendis!
    I love that Joker, Two-Face, and now Penguin all know Bruce's secret. Can't recall if Riddler currently knows, too, but he ought to. It's been 20+ years in-universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I love that Joker, Two-Face, and now Penguin all know Bruce's secret. Can't recall if Riddler currently knows, too, but he ought to. It's been 20+ years in-universe.
    Honestly Two-Face is one thing but I don't need them to bring up Joker knowing ever again.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I found the art to be superb, but the story...for the first issue didn't really impress or move me enough to want to get the second issue. I guess further reading will be determined by reviews perhaps...
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I found the art to be superb, but the story...for the first issue didn't really impress or move me enough to want to get the second issue. I guess further reading will be determined by reviews perhaps...
    It's Tom King, it ain't gonna get better from here

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Tom King is a hit or miss for me. This one is promising, strong start.

Incredible Member

I picked up the 1st issue and it was interesting , and kind of gritty . I didn't like that it started out in the future .
    Well I actually did like that Oswald knows who Bruce is actually, like some others of his rogues gallery .
    Oswald is supposed to come from old Gotham money , so in a way it's fitting that he knows who Bruce is .
    I don't know if this take on Penguin will be canon or not . It's not on Black Label so I don't know.
    But being that it starts out in the future , I'm thinking that King as an end in mind already . I guess it depends on sales and how long Editorial was the book to run . Sadly everything is mandated by Editorial more than ever , instead of the writers and artists .
    I should mention that the art work is really good too .
    I realize that Tom King is hit or miss really , but he always gives you extra pages instead of just 20 pages of story .
    Last edited by TheKryptonMan; 08-27-2023 at 02:40 PM.