Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Extreme and Unusual Weather

The worst of what could be a historic snowstorm has started hitting western New York

Heavy snowfall is pounding parts of western New York state as a potentially historic storm that’s already halted traffic on major roadways threatens to topple trees, damage property and knock out power as temperatures plunge.

“The snowfall will produce near zero visibility, difficult to impossible travel, damage to infrastructure, and paralyze the hardest-hit communities,” the National Weather Service said Thursday. “Very cold air will accompany this event, with temperatures 20 degrees below normal forecast by the weekend.”

Three feet of snow had already fallen by Friday morning in Orchard Park, home of the NFL’s Buffalo Bills.

“I want to be very clear: This is not your normal snowfall in the city of Buffalo or in the region,” Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said Friday as 4 to 5 feet of snow was forecast. “This is a snowstorm with potentially deadly consequences if people do not do the right thing.”
    First Florida was hit with Two Hurricanes, now the Great Lakes region is getting buried under snow.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Hi Tami,

I heard Buffalo NY would get a ton of snow over this weekend! I heard up to 6 Feet! Can that be accurate?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hi Tami,

I heard Buffalo NY would get a ton of snow over this weekend! I heard up to 6 Feet! Can that be accurate?
    I found this:

Extreme lake-effect snow pummels western New York with 5 feet possible

An extreme lake-effect snowstorm is pummeling the eastern shores of Lake Erie, dumping narrow bands of “paralyzing” snowfall around Buffalo. Some areas reported nearly 40 inches of accumulation by late Friday morning, and deteriorating conditions prompted outright bans on travel in the hardest-hit areas, where meteorologists predict as much as 5 feet of snowfall before precipitation subsides sometime Sunday.
    So I guess it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    YIKES and JINKIES!!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The NFL’s Buffalo Bills were scheduled to host Cleveland on Sunday, but, because of the forecast, the game was moved to Detroit.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The NFL’s Buffalo Bills were scheduled to host Cleveland on Sunday, but, because of the forecast, the game was moved to Detroit.
    Hey, WPP!

How are things in Philadelphia? Hope you are staying safe.

Good move it seems for the teams as the snow might still be falling in Buffalo!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

There was a tornado in the Saarland (Germany's smallest state) yesterday. We never had tornadoes when I was a kid.

The weather changing has always bothered me. I mean the 70 degree days in November when we used to have cold all season. But last year when there were tornados in Not only Kentucky but also Michigan in December that made me really holy crap are we screwed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    There was a tornado in the Saarland (Germany's smallest state) yesterday. We never had tornadoes when I was a kid.
    There was an EF4 tornado in Moravia (eastern part of Czech republic) last year, killing 6 people, injuring over 200 others and destroying over 1000 buildings. It's a terrible feeling that this might be something that we will have to get used to.
    Of course, climate change deniers immediately came with a list of tornadoes historically occuring in central Europe, because of course they would. Never mind that those were mostly milder cases.

In other news, we used to get a lot of snow in my city when I was a kid, which was not that long ago (90's to 00's). Now we are lucky if it snows a few times and it usually melts within days.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Extraordinary Member

As of Saturday morning, them team remained in Buffalo, snowed in. The game was moved from concern for the fans getting TO the game, which looks to be a wise move. And we cry over here when we get a quarter inch of rain...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    As of Saturday morning, them team remained in Buffalo, snowed in. The game was moved from concern for the fans getting TO the game, which looks to be a wise move. And we cry over here when we get a quarter inch of rain...
    ...wait...cry over a quarter inch of rain? Why? Is that a lot for your region? I can see if it is continuing over 3 inches in a short period of time, but one-quarter inch ain't nothin"!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hey, WPP!

How are things in Philadelphia? Hope you are staying safe.

Good move it seems for the teams as the snow might still be falling in Buffalo!
    It’s been plenty cold here as temps struggled to crack 40 the last few days (last Saturday, we flirted with 70), but, it’s dry, and that’s good enough for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It’s been plenty cold here as temps struggled to crack 40 the last few days (last Saturday, we flirted with 70), but, it’s dry, and that’s good enough for me.
    29 degrees here, not much higher during the daytime.

We have been in the low 30s and only hit 28 today. Lows in the low 20s and teens. But we are going to be close to 60 by thanksgiving. So you know back and forth.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    29 degrees here, not much higher during the daytime.
    Oh yeah, most definitely. After a sweltering summer, I'm appreciative of the colder weather.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    We have been in the low 30s and only hit 28 today. Lows in the low 20s and teens. But we are going to be close to 60 by thanksgiving. So you know back and forth.
    And that's a quality I've noticed over the past few years, this back and forth. For some reason, it's gotten to be really cold during late November, but by December it averages to the 50s in the daytime.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."