Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Gold Goblin#1 Spoilers & Discussion

We follow a day in the life of Norman a few hours removed from rescuing Peter from the Hobgoblins. The public know who he is due to an expose in the paper, Norman's a little annoyed he's been given the Gold Goblin nickname. After a chat with Peter, Norman spends time with Normie, who's playing Baseball. Normie's whacks of the bat give Norman PTSD over his murder of Gwen. Norman also remembers several other wrongdoings, such as getting Flash Thompson drunk in Paul Jenkin's run, capturing Aunt May while she was in a coma (1990s Clone Saga) and turning Carlie into 'Monster' during Superior. Gwen herself continues to haunt Norman. Eventually Norman battles Jack O'Lantern and defeats him, and signs an autograph for some kids

My thoughts:

Cantwell writes a strong opener here, touching on Norman's struggles with his sin-free 'sanity', we find it's no guarantee of solace. We get reminders of his wrongdoings that are, for once, not restricted to just that one deed in the 70s even if it's at it's most constant. Scenes from the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s are included. It's refreshing also to see the press immediately pounce on Norman and there is no secret ID to hide behind.

The issue inserts a climatic fight, but it's the slice of life that really drives the story, Norman spends time with his grandson, and interacts with Peter, who, for the first time in this status quo, reminds us of the sort of man we knew him to be. It's a short stint in the book, but it does demonstrate the biggest problem with Peter a majority of the time is just the writer taking the piss with him, and when someone isn't, well, you get some good results whichever way you prefer him.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 11-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.

I did like this but I think no matter how many times it's justified in the text, I just find it SO hard to believe Peter would work with Norman. And I also can't buy Liz letting her son be alone with him, either.

How many of these are we getting, btw? Does anyone know yet?
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    I did like this but I think no matter how many times it's justified in the text, I just find it SO hard to believe Peter would work with Norman. And I also can't buy Liz letting her son be alone with him, either.

I think it's 5 issues long

I read it and have mixed feelings. I thought it was written well. But I hate the redeemed villains stuff. I get that Peter buys hard into second chances and all but this is a man that tortured him mentally and physically for years as well as his family. And Peter is just like "Well he is good now so ill work with him." I know he did the same with Doc Ock in the second Superior Spiderman run. But it comes off as really making Spiderman the ultimate forgive and forget man and does not come off as real at all.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I mean Spiderman has pretty much forgiven everyone. Dock Ock stole his mind, made him lose his company, but the second he said "Oh I want to do better." And became Superior Spiderman in San Fran Peter was fine with it and gave him another chance. Now he is doing the same with Osborn.

Just seems if you are a bad guy and want to be Peters BFF just say im sorry I want to do better.

It gets old after awhile.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I mean Spiderman has pretty much forgiven everyone. Dock Ock stole his mind, made him lose his company, but the second he said "Oh I want to do better." And became Superior Spiderman in San Fran Peter was fine with it and gave him another chance. Now he is doing the same with Osborn.

Just seems if you are a bad guy and want to be Peters BFF just say im sorry I want to do better.

It gets old after awhile.
    He tends to do that except if you're called Ben Reilly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Eh, he didn’t hold grudges about him being the Jackal at the beginning of Beyond.

Granted, Peter is sometimes a huge jerk towards him, especially during the 90s Clone Saga when there were a few too many misunderstandings… or excuses for Peter Parker to beat up Scarlet because he was mad about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    To be fair Ben Reilly never killed Peter's Girlfriend, stole his mind, destroyed his company, turned his ex girlfriend into a Goblin monster.

All he did was dig up Uncle Ben and try and cheat death.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    To be fair Ben Reilly never killed Peter's Girlfriend, stole his mind, destroyed his company, turned his ex girlfriend into a Goblin monster.

All he did was dig up Uncle Ben and try and cheat death.
    And then try to wipe out all humanity in a psychotic fit of pique when Peter wouldn't work with him on cheating death. Granted, Peter also joined up with the original Jackal for a bit in his own fit of pique and existential angst over being a clone and the plan there was to wipe out humanity and replace them with clones, too . . . Maybe we shouldn't be throwing stones from a glass house, people. Oh, and let's not forget that Peter made a deal with Venom to leave each other the hell alone after Venom saved his parents (who turned out to be robot impostors down the line), something that Ben (Reilly) found morally objectionable when he first showed up as the Scarlet Spider.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

As someone not reading ASM, I thought this was well written. It was clever to point out that "cleansing" Norman would leave him pretty empty, because who is he without his wicked impulses and sadism? It reminded me of Hobgoblin and Carnage being inverted during AXIS in that they examined "magic makes you change your morality" (and arguably came up with more interesting points than the event itself).

I also still believe Peter not being absolutely uncomfortable with Norman is OOC. I believe he could try to accept a "good" Norman, but he looks way too... I don't know, unfazed? This isn't Ock who, while a complete bastard, was more utilitarian even as a villain, and got sympathetic retcons/backstory along the way. It's Norman f*cking Osborn! But the most unbelievable thing is Liz allowing him anywhere near Normie, as someone said above.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I thought it was a good issue. I like that Cantwell doesn't let Osborn off easy. Just because his "sins" were forgivendoesn't mean he gets to escape the guilt of what he's done. Also liked that Harry was in there which should appease those who took issue with Norman just being haunted by Gwen. Still, I have to wonder how much of this is Norman's psyche post Sin-Eater, and how much is influenced the Goblin Queen, Kafka. That would be disappointing, since Loki tormented Osborn similarly in the Dark Reign era.

Peter's reactions still seem off. Norman going from "no violence" to "I think I can be a super hero" should be setting off all sorts of alarms. It's like an alcoholic saying they can handle one drink and then it becomes two, etc.

Overall a pretty compelling read that I hope continues in this manner and avoids what we all assume will be the obvious ending...

So who was the Jack O'Lantern in this issue? I didn't recognize the eye patch fella. (And is he dead?)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    So who was the Jack O'Lantern in this issue? I didn't recognize the eye patch fella. (And is he dead?)
    Either the clone of Steven Levins from Clone Conspiracy or the Imposter who tangled with Venom in the Donny Cates run (and the War of the Realms tie-ins). Or someone new (or back from the dead).

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Steve...ns_(Earth-616)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jack_...II)_(Earth-616)

The 'humble tin' reference was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post

Peter is dating Felicia again despite what she's done to him in the past.