Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Arthur Curry aka Orin aka Aquaman Appreciation

Couldn't find an active Appreciation thread for DC's Classic King Of The Sea, so here's a placeholder for at least the remainder of 2022.

Feel free to show some love (or concern or inquisitiveness or knowledge) here to Arthur Curry aka Orin aka The Aquaman!

I know it didn't set the world on fire when it debuted in 2021 and then to home video blu-ray in 2022, but I actually liked the comedic King Of Atlantis animated miniseries.

Something about Arthur with green hair (and beard) really works for me ...

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Young Justice Aquaman is the perfect inbetween for how I like my Arthur

Still the GOAT:

I like the classic orange and green costume look here, especially with the more fishscale look for both top and bottom. Long hair and beard are a must for Arthur IMO.

Short hair and no beard for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Short hair and no beard for me:

Ditto!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Recently rewatched the movie, man the costume design still holds up

Black Manta's costume is an achievement in itself

Ocean Master looks great too

Costumes were definitely on-point:

With Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom releasing in Spring of next year, are there any plans for a new ongoing series for Arthur?

And also: does it feel, just like the first movie, there is almost no pre-release buzz for AQ2 at all?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    With Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom releasing in Spring of next year, are there any plans for a new ongoing series for Arthur?

And also: does it feel, just like the first movie, there is almost no pre-release buzz for AQ2 at all?
    He's in the Dawn of the DCU illustration so I'm assuming he's getting a new book.

I like the classic orange and green costume look here, especially with the more fishscale look for both top and bottom. Long hair and beard are a must for Arthur IMO.

i wholeheatedly agreed with the bold. I feel the overwhelming amount of comic book heroes that have the barefaced short hair look is a relic of old aestethic sensibilities; it's too generic. idc what anyone says, the short hair + no facial hair just doesn't feel as regal (it very much gives princely not kingly) and the long hair is perfect for a water based hero.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hah I was wondering why nobody had bothered to make a new thread for Aquaman this year.

I’m betting PKJ is writing a new Aquaman ongoing. He teased he’s doing a new ongoing, his Lazarus Planet one shot deals with mutated Trench, he set up some conflict between Superman and Aquaman over in Action, and he wrote that Annual that gave Arthur his own For The Man Who Has Everything. Plus his big breakout book was The Last God which was dark fantasy and that’s a natural fit for Arthur as a character. All that plus a new Aquaman movie coming out next year makes me feel confident Arthur will be getting a new book and PKJ a will be writing it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah I was wondering why nobody had bothered to make a new thread for Aquaman this year.

I’m betting PKJ is writing a new Aquaman ongoing. He teased he’s doing a new ongoing, his Lazarus Planet one shot deals with mutated Trench, he set up some conflict between Superman and Aquaman over in Action, and he wrote that Annual that gave Arthur his own For The Man Who Has Everything. Plus his big breakout book was The Last God which was dark fantasy and that’s a natural fit for Arthur as a character. All that plus a new Aquaman movie coming out next year makes me feel confident Arthur will be getting a new book and PKJ a will be writing it.
    It would be absolutely incredible if PKJ was the new Aquaman writer.

Also, put me on the camp that prefers Aquaman with beard and longer hair. The clean shave makes him look too young and combining that with short hair doesn’t make him feel like a king to me.
    Plus, as someone said, the long hair in the ocean setting is great for artist to play with.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

With the movie coming out we'll definitely be getting a new ongoing, hopefully it does better than the last batch.

PKJ would be a good pick. He does know fantasy and has interest in refurbishing lesser used aspects of the character and Aquaman can use some refurbishing away from the constant Atlantis stories.

The Atlantean monarchy's still abolished right?