Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Considering his breakout success in both the Harley Quinn animated show and in DCEU's The Suicide Squad movie, Shouldn't King Shark be a much more prominent presence in the Aquaverse.

He seems like an obvious fit for the "outwardly monstrous destructive reverse of the hero" slot (aka the Bizarro/Man-Bat comp).

Personally, I prefer the Great White look over the (admittedly more unique) Hammerhead look he rocks here.
    I think King Shark can in some ways be a nice a foil to Aquaman, especially in the ways you mentioned. I also prefer his Great White look over the Hammerhead design.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Agreed. He was the definitive AM artist for me.

Yes! He is definitely my first choice for any potential Aquaman titles. He knows how to make Aquaman look regal and commanding and does some great battle scenes. I also like how Reis was able to capture the more vulnerable and intimate moments between Aquaman and Mera.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

When DC eventually DOES bring Arthur back I'm hoping both Manta and Ocean Master are taken off the shelf for a good long while.
    Considering the amount of ocean there is, we need more new additions to the Aquaverse.
    Johns did a great job and touched upon it a little with the Trench, but there is SO much more which we haven't seen.

I'd also like a writer to really think about how day to day life would work under water.
    Oh, and if I see another character in Atlantis READING SOMETHING ON PAPER ever again I'll lose my mind.
    They're under water! Why are people walking on floors??
    Why are there internal doors on hinges??

There is SO much that either hasn't been looked at or simply ignored.
    Life underwater shouldn't be anything like living on land. Highlighting the differences Arthur deals with on a daily basis.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

2. Do the Trench have a leader of any kind? Are they like the classic Borg of Star Trek (i.e. no leader)? Or are they more like the more recent versions (i.e. a Queen or King secretly leading them)?
    They have a king and if I remember right they also had a queen when Johns wrote their first story?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    They have a king and if I remember right they also had a queen when Johns wrote their first story?
    Yeah they had a king or at least top dog pack leader and a huge queen mother responsible for mass-spawning their children

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he was even originally an Aquaman villain.
    I think he was a Superboy villain originally
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 12-04-2022 at 03:37 AM.

On an unrelated note, I have this idea for a Black Label Black Manta series.

A hardcore balls to the wall action series and also a bit of an origin on the conception of Jackson. Takes place in Xebel during the rebellion, Jackson's mom is desperate to find some way to win the war and runs into Manta witnessing him single-handily slaying a great beast like a humongous kraken dragon. Its then basically Manta going roughshod on Xebel him and his forces waging a brutal conflict battling Xebel tech, sorcery, and aqua-beasts. A spectacular gore-fest, I imagine one scene of a a Xebellian punching Manta square in the chest and his fist explodes with the story showing him as unstoppable butchering force of nature.

With the framing device being Jackson's mom slowly falling in love with him, thinking he's helping her free Xebel, when in reality he's just taking an opportunity to hurt his nemesis by razing the hometown of his wife as Manta basically renders Xebel into a no man's land from his rampage. He was simply hunting sea dragons to harvest their material but Jackson's mom leads him to discovery of Xebel and he figures "Well **** why not."

And Aquaman himself is kept as a phantom, never directly appearing but his influence can be felt by being the dominating force of Manta's motivations. Plus since Manta is shown to be a titan of strength, it makes Arthur even look more like a badass as Manta is doing all this to find some way to defeat him. The only outright appearance of Arthur is a flashback to a famous battle of their's where they clash and they split the seafloor in half, creating a miles long bottomless crevice.

The series ends tragically, Xebel burned (heh) down, and Manta leaving Jackson's mom as whatever feelings he might have for her means less to his desires for vengeance, and its with the birth of Jackson.

Going down the line for Arthur's rogues gallery ...

What's the deal with Namma?

Any potential there or mostly a lot of nothing?

One of the things I appreciated about Jeff Parker's run was trying to expand the threats and Rogues Gallery beyond Black Manta and Ocean Master.
    Going down the line for Arthur's rogues gallery ...

What's the deal with Namma?

Any potential there or mostly a lot of nothing?
    I think she got redeemed or turned out to be misunderstood?

I think KSD had an interesting idea with the whole old Gods thing, but it was kind of a dull choice to have them all be descended from this one God

Syncretism is always a tricky subject but doing it in mass like that is rather boring since you obviously want distinction between the various Gods and their mythologies.

What's the current status of The Others?

Are they all dead? Could they be re-purposed as part of the supporting cast of a new Aquaman title? Some of them seemed like they had potential ...
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-05-2022 at 05:50 PM.

What's the current status of The Others?

Are they all dead? Could they be re-purposed as part of the supporting cast of a new Aquaman title? Some of them seemed like they had potential ...
    I don't think they've appeared since their spinoff series ended.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Which I'm fine with.
    I didn't find any of the characters interesting at all.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I liked them .

Damn, looks like Jason Momoa may be done as Arthur Curry after The Lost Kingdom releases next Xmas.

Or possibly trading in the orangescale for chalk-white body paint as Lobo (a James Gunn favorite, apparently).

Feels like a big swing that may be a pop-fly out. We'll see ...

Damn, looks like Jason Momoa may be done as Arthur Curry after The Lost Kingdom releases next Xmas.

Or possibly trading in the orangescale for chalk-white body paint as Lobo (a James Gunn favorite, apparently).

Feels like a big swing that may be a pop-fly out. We'll see ...
    I wonder if this means less Mamoa-synergy.