Extraordinary Member

Default 10 Highest Grossing Films of All Time, Adjusted for Inflation

CBR looks at the 10 highest grossing films of all time adjusted for inflation. IMO, this was a fun list to read. See the details in the link below.

https://www.cbr.com/highest-grossing...en-dwarfs-1937

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    09. The Exorcist (1973)
    08. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
    07. Jaws (1975)
    06. The Ten Commandments (1956)
    05. Titanic (1997)
    04. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
    03. The Sound of Music (1965)
    02. Star Wars (1977)
    01. Gone With the Wind (1939)

Extraordinary Member

I remember when Gone With The Wind first premiered on tv. Every one I knew stayed home for how many days to watch it. I can only imagine what it was like when it came out at the movie theater.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I remember when Gone With The Wind first premiered on tv. Every one I knew stayed home for how many days to watch it. I can only imagine what it was like when it came out at the movie theater.
    It's my mother's favorite movie. I remember what a big event it was when it came to television too. I remember how hurt she was that my father, my sister, and I really weren't interested in watching it. So, when I was old enough to be more conscious of other people's feelings, out of guilt, I sat and watched it with her one year and refrained from having anything bad to say about it although I fluctuated between being furious at some of the stuff and, at other times, wanting to fall asleep.

Then again, I know she felt the same about Star Wars. In fact, I'm pretty sure she barely even knows something called Star Wars exists. LOL. But that's turnabout in fair play.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

I think GONE WITH THE WIND is one of those movies where if people just looked at its initial return on investment, they would say it failed to make its money back. The movie initially had a higher ticket price than normal with a greater share going to the studio and the film being released only in select theatres over a nearly two year period before it went into wide release. And then many subsequent re-releases over the years. So the cumulative gross grew larger, but it took a long time for that to happen.