Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm annoyed at how the focus on streaming is apparently a bad thing. Like it shouldn't have any content on of it's own to try to drive people who using it. I loved the focus on and I hope it doesn't get pulled back for antiquated formats.
    Agreed. I enjoyed the Disney + MCU shows they put out. I want them to keep going rather then try and shoe horn Loki season 2 into a 3 hour movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

It would be a big mistake to have no new MCU content on Disney+. But at the same time budget constraints give into bad cheap action sets. I think it will be interesting to see how some of the new characters will transition onto the big screen.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While I don't believe diversity is added for just the sake of a "shield" against criticism. I also know it has been done once criticism was lopped against certain projects.

Case in point Ghostbusters 2016 I believe they wanted to do a Ghostbusters movie with 4 females seeing as fun and modern take on the orginal film.

But once that 1st trailer dropped I saw in real time Sony delete most comments that was constructive criticism like one I myself posted at the time. Yet they kept up the misogynist comments. They didn't create the misogyny it was already there but they used it to frame all criticism as misogynistic.

I believe Diversity is good and think most complaints come from fragile people, but I also believe corporations have no issue using POCs as shields when they feel its needed.
    Totally agree. Those women are pretty funny and with a better script could have made a quality product, but the initial trailer confirmed most people's fears (including women) that the film wasn't that good, coupled with the other practice by bad writers of making all male characters idiots or villains. Like Fan4stick with Fox, Sony took a very tiny percentage of actual misogynists and made all the marketing about making it seem that ANYONE who dared not absolutely love the movie must be 'one of them', because they thought that would save the film. It clearly didn't.

Not every project has done so, but fanbaiting is a strategy that has been increasingly used since 2016 by studios (not unsurprisingly a coincidence as a date because of the US Election and the moment America, and by definition the entire world, decided there wasn't a middle ground anymore) to overshadow lesser quality writing as studios spend more on effects and less on writers that respect or even understand the franchises. Not saying ALL projects since then have been like that, but it has gotten more popular.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Please explain that.

Seriously explain that.

Is this the diversity of where you have POC and they stay in the background?
    Get killed off the fastest?
    Play thugs and jocks? Along with other stereotypes?
    Honest Diversity means not hiring a non white or non male actor to not just not be what you are describing above but also not be brought on to simply suit a ratio that masks an inferior product. People can pretend that doesn't happen, but it can. The whole fiasco with nearly casting Ciri in The Witcher as I mentioned earlier is a prime example of that.

Why would a BLACK Johnny Storm be insulting to me??? When we have had 3 other movies and 3 tv shows and the comic feature a white one?

Why would a Ghostbuster team that did NOT include the OGs insult me? When a tv show called Extreme Ghostbusters did not include them and had a black male lead, a handicap guy, a goth girl and Hispanic guy? Oh and that SAME show originally was suppose to be an 1 guy (Eduardo) and the rest were girls. And it produced toys and 3 video games..
    Both those projects were evidently shite, the former literally made only to hold onto the rights from Disney so as not to let them do the Fantastic Four as most fans wanted. Then Fox realized that the VERY small percentage of racists angry at the idea of a black Johnny Storm (when ironically Michael was probably the only good choice in those four for his character, irrespective of race) could cover all that up. Fan4stick ended up being the prototype for what Ghostbusters perfected with fanbaiting a year later. The difference with that and Extreme was that Extreme wasn't actively trying to reboot what had come before, had engaging and well liked characters with their own qualities and didn't create an entire marketing campaign insulting its core fanbase over the notion that casuals would replace them (they didn't). Time and time again Hollywood has used it and it rarely works, especially now since even casual audiences spot it a mile off.

I'm not excusing the hate Leslie or Marie got from actual bigots and sexist assholes, and they SHOULD be called out and those actors treated more fairly. Fandom CAN be toxic, but it feels like Hollywood (Disney included) has thrived on using it for their own ends, making the situation worse. Audiences increasingly staying in their own echo chambers and assuming the 'other side' has nothing sensible to contribute. The trick is probably understanding both's strategies and taking a middle stance. I certainly try to, though it's rarely easy to. I do hope that people like Iger and Disney can eventually burst this bubble, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Incredible Member

I think there are two things being discussed here.

Do companies engage in spin to show themselves in a positive light? Certainly. Will they throw anyone under the bus in an effort to displace blame for failed projects? Of course they do. I don’t think anyone is disputing that companies will always try to cover themselves.

However this idea of fan baiting as a strategy to cover up for projects that look like they might fail. If you were just talking about a marketing team trying to save a project that’s being sent out to die then maybe, but we’re talking about decisions being made during casting before anything has been shot.

That’s where I have a problem with this theory because it would mean people are knowingly making a bad product or at least think it’s going to be bad if they have to hire PoC or women in a misguided attempt to save it from criticism. That doesn’t work and who would throw away money on a project that you thought was going to fail?

Movies are a mess while being made and often don’t come together until late in the process well after casting has been done. I think this fan baiting theory is overblown. Do studios take advantage of fan outrage to deflect from actual criticism? Sure why wouldn’t they. Is that something that is baked into the process from the beginning? I think not.

Totally agree. Those women are pretty funny and with a better script could have made a quality product,
    I didn't think it was the worst movie ever, but I did see it as just "OK". Didn't hate it but was fine with it also. Ironic idw took the characters from that film, set them as an alternate earth (the 80s ghostbusters even go to their earth in a story!) and make them less goofy and really flesh them out making some good stories! People liked the idw versions to the point they were in a big space on the "crossing over" cover that was a limited series that crossed over movie ghostbusters, game ghostbusters, real, extreme, now comics, female, and even the manga ones! Only the filmation ones didn't show up over rights! IDW showed this team can get in great stories in the right hands!

Also how did this go from talking about the two bobs to ghostbusters?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    I think there are two things being discussed here.

Do companies engage in spin to show themselves in a positive light? Certainly. Will they throw anyone under the bus in an effort to displace blame for failed projects? Of course they do. I don’t think anyone is disputing that companies will always try to cover themselves.

However this idea of fan baiting as a strategy to cover up for projects that look like they might fail. If you were just talking about a marketing team trying to save a project that’s being sent out to die then maybe, but we’re talking about decisions being made during casting before anything has been shot.

That’s where I have a problem with this theory because it would mean people are knowingly making a bad product or at least think it’s going to be bad if they have to hire PoC or women in a misguided attempt to save it from criticism. That doesn’t work and who would throw away money on a project that you thought was going to fail?

Movies are a mess while being made and often don’t come together until late in the process well after casting has been done. I think this fan baiting theory is overblown. Do studios take advantage of fan outrage to deflect from actual criticism? Sure why wouldn’t they. Is that something that is baked into the process from the beginning? I think not.
    Yeah; shielding yourself behind your actors is an ex post facto act rather than a starting point.

Now, that might begin early on if you realize in post-production it’s a crap movie and start looking for ways to mitigate the issue, but no, you didn’t cast Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, John Boyega as Finn, or Kelly Marie Tran as Rose intending to hide behind them. Nor did you choose to make a your new Star Wars main character a woman played by Daisy Ridley, or to try making a blended Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey movie intending to hide behind it either.

The only thing separating those cases from the entire casting process for Black Panther, The Mandalorian, or Wonder Woman is that the earlier examples struggled and there wa stalemate that had to go around at some point or another, while on the latter films, there was no blame, so everyone wanted the credit for getting Basset, Jordan, Pascal, Gadot, etc. and knew they didn’t have to defend that decision.

Biyega and Tran remain probably the two strongest examples to me of an after-the-fact attempt to hide behind an actor’s skin color or gender or both when reception tanks… partially because Disney/LFL didn’t do a damn thing when Boyega was attacked the first time around while helping to deliver TFA as an almost completely positive, record breaking movie, then lumped him in with everyone else who was POC to defend TLJ, and then got annoyed when he called their bullshit after TROS. And the there’s the very convenient thing where they didn’t defend Tran either when the bullying of her started… until TLJ came out and struggled, wherein they very particularly brought it up and tired to paint all critics as being against her, rather than, say, the fact she was clearly cast on the thankless job of demoting Boyega with a deliberately boring character.

But before those attempts, Boyega and Tran won their roles by being charismatic and skilled actors and were counted on as assets when making the film - and ironically. Boyega being so damn good at his job likely led to Tran being hired to play Rose, because without TLJ using Rose to sabotage Finn, Boyega would have continued to outshine Adam Driver.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 11-23-2022 at 07:44 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

The idea that studios will throw hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie and think having minorities and women in lead roles will shield them from criticism is totally unrealistic.

It's too far-fetched.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The idea that studios will throw hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie and think having minorities and women in lead roles will shield them from criticism is totally unrealistic.

It's too far-fetched.

It is.

Although lets see is Disney is going to do that with Strange World hide behind the black gay son lead for its bombing when not one person not even the TROLLS (shockingly) are targeting him.

They are pointing out the lack of promotion, merchandise and I can toss in the fact this movie will only be in theaters in my city for 6 days. After December 1 it and Wakanda Forever are going on that date.

Disney set that movie up to fail. I guess Avatar 2 had to make an additional 185 million for Strange World too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    The incredible hulk flop too,but it did not have a rotten TOMATOMETER score like eternals.
    Note-black widow flop at the box office too but made it up on disney plus when the movie was on the big screen.

Extraordinary Member

It is.

Although lets see is Disney is going to do that with Strange World hide behind the black gay son lead for its bombing when not one person not even the TROLLS (shockingly) are targeting him.

They are pointing out the lack of promotion, merchandise and I can toss in the fact this movie will only be in theaters in my city for 6 days. After December 1 it and Wakanda Forever are going on that date.

Disney set that movie up to fail. I guess Avatar 2 had to make an additional 185 million for Strange World too.

Strange World is really flopping hard. It really looks like Disney just dropped that movie with minimal marketing.
    And Disney needs to be called out on that.
    They need to be ROYALLY roasted for this movie.
    Bob chapek and kareem daniel were responsible for this,but now they are out, so too late.
    Bob iger is in now and he is going to right the ship for disney and animation like he did before.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Office/page207

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Note-black widow flop at the box office too but made it up on disney plus when the movie was on the big screen.
    Part of that was COVID and Disney promoting it as a "soon coming to Disney+" movie. Didn't ScarJo sue over this?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Part of that was COVID and Disney promoting it as a "soon coming to Disney+" movie. Didn't ScarJo sue over this?
    Not "soon coming to", it had a parallel Disney+ release.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Thanks for that information, it slipped my mind. So I don't think we can look at BW as compared to other MCU movies. It probably would not have been big Box Office, like Captain Marvel or BPII, but I could see it doing double what it did without the same time Disney+. Maybe closer to Thor L&T.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    With a charge. They made $125-million on that, which really could be added to the box office when trying to evaluate its success.