Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    That's just it though, no explanation will be tolerated because there's a chance you'll just dismiss those points as being motivated by racism or sexism, the usual leftist buzzwords, your minds are already made up. No point raised will be good enough to evade that kind of labelling.
    Sexism and racism aren't left wing buzzwords.

BANNED

Just for the record, I don't think the Disney+ Marvel shows are that 'woke', there were things that bugged me, but they're largely miniscule. I can understand why people would have a problem with them though, even if I disagree with them, but most of the time their talking points are dismissed as sexist/racist, they get sideways glances and rolling eyes. I don't feel that's entirely fair. There are people I disagree with, people who don't like the way Hollyweird and Disney are shaping themselves into, who I know aren't MAGA types, and they always get lumped in with the alt rights and Youtube grifters who are.

The films I've seen these past few years, to me, are neither too left or too right, they're just boring, they're stale, they're not funny, and they don't have a point to them. Sure, it might not be reflected in the box office, it might not be reflected in the consumer end of society, but just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.

Just for the record, I don't think the Disney+ Marvel shows are that 'woke', there were things that bugged me, but they're largely miniscule. I can understand why people would have a problem with them though, even if I disagree with them, but most of the time their talking points are dismissed as sexist/racist, they get sideways glances and rolling eyes. I don't feel that's entirely fair. There are people I disagree with, people who don't like the way Hollyweird and Disney are shaping themselves into, who I know aren't MAGA types, and they always get lumped in with the alt rights and Youtube grifters who are.

The films I've seen these past few years, to me, are neither too left or too right, they're just boring, they're stale, they're not funny, and they don't have a point to them. Sure, it might not be reflected in the box office, it might not be reflected in the consumer end of society, but just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.
    Its fair to say that you did not care for a popular movie. There are a lot of popular movies I dont like (See Titanic and Matrix) If they were stale and not funny to you that is fair. That is a valid complaint that many people make on movies as the movie put out was not to your tastes. Is it a good movie? To you and some others now. To many at large yes. Personal taste.

But to call the movies Woke and like a couple posters have claimed means they have specific issues with those movies. And if that is the case then when asked they need to be able to tell us what those specific issues are not just keep using Right Wing buzz words Like Woke.

So I will ask again as several on this board have done. Give us the specific problems they have (And the terms M-She-U and Woke show they have specific issues) Give us examples and tell us what they are.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-23-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

You don't see the irony/hypocrisy in complaining about others dismissing criticism without actually addressing what was said and you dismissing our claims of sexism, without actually reading what was said?

Sure, it might not be reflected in the box office, it might not be reflected in the consumer end of society, but just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.
    The thing is, "good" is subjective. If the majority likes it and it's popular at the box office, to the majority it is "good."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The thing is, "good" is subjective. If the majority likes it and it's popular at the box office, to the majority it is "good."
    'good' in the moment, but then things age. I don't think a lot of Disney, Star Wars or Marvel movies over the years have aged particularly well.

And a minority isn't always wrong.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 11-23-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    There are a lot of movies that may have hit #1 for a weekend that weren't good. Sometimes I go to a movie because I think it may be good, Wing Commander I am looking at you, but then leave and feel like you wasted 2 hours of your life.
    I mean, Big Momma House 2 was Number 1 and that was Terrible!

Ultimate Member

It's fair to criticize Marvel/Disney for their content.

That's different from criticizing the movies because they have minorities or women or LGBTIQ people in them.

Some people are calling them woke because of the mere presence of these groups in these movies as understated as they are. That's why people are quick to call them out for that, especially now that we live in an environment where hate crimes are spiking.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It’s fair to say that we can easily accuse Disney at times (not to mention other studios) of fan baiting where they sometimes cast non white male actors in roles to mask bad writing and characterisation so they can deploy the Ist Cards to any constructive criticism and shut down rational conversation. It’s been a strategy for years now since Fan4stick and Ghostbusters 2016 and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. But when done it’s insulting to the fans, to genuine critics that feel intimidated not to give glowing reviews or risk their jobs (look at the various reviews of Rings of Power for evidence of that) and of course the actors and actresses that have to put up with unneeded hate within a role they inwardly know was likely made to tick a box.

If Iger can move away from that philosophy and ensure good writing and story returns to Disney alongside more genuine and honest diversity, he’ll win all audiences back, not just the perceived casual group that won’t watch anyway with the core fan bases to encourage them to tag along.

'good' in the moment, but then things age. I don't think a lot of Disney, Star Wars or Marvel movies over the years have aged particularly well.

And a minority isn't always wrong.
    I didn't say the minority was wrong. There is no right or wrong with this because it's opinionated. That's why using something being "good" as a qualifying metric is flawed.

And many of the Disney, Star Wars and Marvel movies are still considered good by many people.
    Last edited by Noodle; 11-23-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

And just like that shares are up.

It seems that Disney doesn't like embarrassing things happening to them in the public eye. Who knew?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

I’d have to argue that Disney’s track record from this last decade shows that a) they weren’t really that “woke,” b) they even sometimes acted in a. very conservative way that seemed to hurt initially hugely successful stuff, and therefore c) it’s plainly bullshit to argue that that they’ve driven off part of their customer base by being woke.

The most successful, “performing above expectations” Star Wars content has been the stuff that didn’t feature straight white guys as the main stars and central figures of the story… but contrary to any of the expected narratives, that’s because their first two movies were more inclusive and progressive than their last three.

Rogue One is an obvious example, but people try to obfuscate or ignore that John Boyega was a far more profitable male lead than either Mark Hamill-saddled-with-a-mid-life-crisis story or Adam Driver, and that Daisy Ridley as Rey was far more popular when she wasn’t being shoved into an abusive relationship with a Neo Nazi a school shooter - all that “Mary Sue” **** didn’t drive people off as much as Reylo did, and Reylo is inherently a white male fantasy. And of course, the idea to just give Han a movie didn’t make any money.

Meanwhile, the Disney+ shows didn’t get a white male lead show until Obi-Wan - and The Mandalorian remains a bigger hit than that, while the buzz for Ahsoka is unmatched, and as inconsistent as Book of Boba Fett was, let’s not pretend it still wasn’t a success well above Solo.

Marvel, meanwhile, clearly benefitted immensely from Black Panther coming out when it could and being the “wokest” film they made, while they clearly should have given Black Widow a movie earlier - both events that only happened after stopping Ike Perlmutter from neutering the brand at its height. Now, we’ve got some people trying to gaslight the public into blaming that same clearly successful “wokeness” for stuff that clearly has more to do with retiring numerous characters, or real world tragedies.

And that’s before we point out that Encanto was a hit as well.

Clearly, Disney’s problems have Jack-**** to do with wokeness,a nd the times they’ve taken steps back from that have actually hurt them more than not.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It’s fair to say that we can easily accuse Disney at times (not to mention other studios) of fan baiting where they sometimes cast non white male actors in roles to mask bad writing and characterisation so they can deploy the Ist Cards to any constructive criticism and shut down rational conversation. It’s been a strategy for years now since Fan4stick and Ghostbusters 2016 and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. But when done it’s insulting to the fans, to genuine critics that feel intimidated not to give glowing reviews or risk their jobs (look at the various reviews of Rings of Power for evidence of that) and of course the actors and actresses that have to put up with unneeded hate within a role they inwardly know was likely made to tick a box.

If Iger can move away from that philosophy and ensure good writing and story returns to Disney alongside more genuine and honest diversity, he’ll win all audiences back, not just the perceived casual group that won’t watch anyway with the core fan bases to encourage them to tag along.
    Apart from the Little Mermaid remake, when exactly did Disney do this?

I'm legitimately curious because stuff like the Little Mermaid is the exception, not the rule.

Disney is the same company that has donated to the GOP in some states, covered up Black Panther's face in certain territories, and minimized Finn's presence in the Star Wars poster in China.

The higher-ups at Disney don't appear progressive at all. And what is "honest diversity"????? This shouldn't even be a thing considering the US is one of the most diverse countries on Earth. Entertainment not reflecting the reality of the world we live in is incredibly bizarre.

We also need to REALLY stop this idea that when someone other than a straight, white male is cast then it's only for diversity reasons and had nothing to do with talent. We saw this with the recent Obi Wan series when it came to Moses Ingram. Even when the actor herself talked about the racist messages she was receiving, "fans" accused her of basically lying. There's zero actual evidence Disney uses diverse casting to "shield" themselves from criticism. It doesn't even make sense because, for one, people still critique them and two, the complaints start before the content even airs. It's bs, period.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    We also need to REALLY stop this idea that when someone other than a straight, white male is cast then it's only for diversity reasons and had nothing to do with talent. We saw this with the recent Obi Wan series when it came to Moses Ingram. Even when the actor herself talked about the racist messages she was receiving, "fans" accused her of basically lying. There's zero actual evidence Disney uses diverse casting to "shield" themselves from criticism. It doesn't even make sense because, for one, people still critique them and two, the complaints start before the content even airs. It's bs, period.
    Exactly.

People are already attacking the Little Mermaid when we haven't seen anything from the film apart from a black Ariel. People attacked Moses Ingram, Steve Toussaint (on House of the Dragon), and The Rings of Power cast before their respective series even aired. Worse still, people still attack them even when they are trying to defend themselves which further proves said attacks are from some hardcore racists, no point in sugar-coating it. It's the height of entitlement when folks say minorities only get these roles for their "diversity" when in many cases they were the best choices for these roles.

It's not just happening in the US alone as there were a couple of TV show hosts complaining in Mexico about Black Panther: Wakanda Forever using primarily dark-skinned indigenous actors to play dark-skinned indigenous people (before they went into the sea). In their words, if Marvel really wanted talented actors they should have used white Mexicans like themselves and the ones on their tv shows. Tenoch Huerta (Namor himself) has been very vocal in telling off a lot of these guys because a lot of their media doesn't reflect their society (according to him, their tv looks like it's something from Scandanavia..LOLOL).

Again, the entitlement some of these people feel is really, really grating.