Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Disney Shocker! Bob Iger Back As CEO, Bob Chapek Out

https://deadline.com/2022/11/disney-...ut-1235178223/

After less than a year in retirement, Bob Iger has returned as the CEO of the Walt Disney Company.

The board just sent out a notice that Bob I. is back and recently re-upped Bob Chapek is out. Having handed over the baton as CEO in February 2020 to Chapek — a stunning move unto itself at the time — and then serving as executive chairman until the end of 2021, Iger will be CEO for a second time for the next two years, the company says. Iger had previously been top dog at the House of Mouse from 2005 for 15 years, the final stage of what would be a 47-year run at Disney.

Despite the turbulence the company has experienced since Iger left the corner office and his well-earned reputation for being as smooth and diplomatic a figure as Chapek could be awkward and untested, Iger was repeatedly asked if he would consider an encore. He always refused, citing his new phase as an investor and industry observer with a lot more time on his hands. At 71, though, he is certainly not at what is considered retirement age in a business sector where many CEOs are active into their 80s. Rupert Murdoch, coincidentally Disney’s largest shareholder, is 91 and still chair of Fox Corp. and executive chair of News Corp.

Ultimate Member

This is a legit surprise.

Bob Chapek is one of those guys that just didn't seem to know what he was doing.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Is this supposed to be a surprise? Disney stock is down (and I own a bunch of their stock, so that is a personal issue to me), their balance sheet is pretty precarious post-Covid, and most importantly Chapeck picked a bunch of culture war fights that did nothing to help the brand. In fact, he took a brand that was universally beloved and made it reviled by a solid half of its potential audience.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took this long to fire him. I really hope the quality of Marvel IP increases and the stories become more focused on what the entire audience, as opposed to niche audiences, want to see.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Mighty Member

Does this mean the R-rated content like Deadpool is going to be removed from Disney+ and the Marvel Zombies is going to be cancelled? I sure hope not.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Does this mean the R-rated content like Deadpool is going to be removed from Disney+ and the Marvel Zombies is going to be cancelled? I sure hope not.
    Didn't Bob Iger greenlight all that stuff already?

Ultimate Member

Hilariously, the right-wing bigots on youtube were celebrating Iger's departure 2 years ago.

I wonder what they will say now considering he practically greenlit almost all of Marvel's stuff before he left.

So, more Marvel or less Marvel? That's the main thing.
    Green light more B-C list character projects. one-shot specials, mini series, etc.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Didn't Bob Iger greenlight all that stuff already?
    It was Chapek. Deadpool will remain R-Rated and Marvel Zombies will be rated TV-MA. I don't know if US subscribers can watch R-Rated content on Disney+ but they added parental control for TV-MA rated content this year.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

My Reaction to Hearing Mini-Lex Luthor was Finally FIRED!!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

So can we admit now that the past year has been bad for Disney? I remember when I questioned on these forums how making 25 million dollar streaming only shows was sensible and the response I received was 'so what, Disney has infinite money.'
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-21-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Is this supposed to be a surprise? Disney stock is down (and I own a bunch of their stock, so that is a personal issue to me), their balance sheet is pretty precarious post-Covid, and most importantly Chapeck picked a bunch of culture war fights that did nothing to help the brand. In fact, he took a brand that was universally beloved and made it reviled by a solid half of its potential audience.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took this long to fire him. I really hope the quality of Marvel IP increases and the stories become more focused on what the entire audience, as opposed to niche audiences, want to see.
    Solid half of the population?

Come on, racists, homophobes and misogynists aren't half the US population.

It seems that way sometimes because the Right has fully embraced groups like the KKK and Proudboys in recent years but that's not actually a representation of half the population.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Doesn't say much to me.
    If they do not reduce certain pathologies, it won't be much of a difference which Bob willl be in charge.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Doesn't say much to me.
    If they do not reduce certain pathologies, it won't be much of a difference which Bob willl be in charge.
    I didn't know companies could have diseases...
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't know companies could have diseases...
    Yes they could have.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Igor will push the main revenue sources and its movies. That 1 hour Werewolf by Night we got on streaming service this year ...Igor would have pushed to release it in theaters to make $$ there.

I can see him pushing certain projects of Marvel into phase films.

I have to think what killed Chapek is the worry over Indiana Jones V. That is supposed to be a tent pole film and worry is...it's gonna bomb due to bad test screenings. That likely was the final straw for Chapek.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.