Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Any time some one complains about how woke the M-She-U is tells me everything I need to know about their thought process.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Lol exactly. Especially since the box office and ratings don't really back up the narrative that Marvel Studios is suffering.
    Exactly this.

I don't really feel the need to address folks complaining about "M-SHE-U" or "wokeness". I don't think Disney feels the need to address a minority of a minority of people that have problems with LGBTIQ or women or ethnic minorities on screen. Some people will always be bigots so there's no point dignifying their bigotry with a response. Heck, the culture wars couldn't even get the "red wave" at the ballot box for the conservative folks, so there's little incentive to address what's quite clearly a faction of folks who are more loud than influential.

Besides, at the box office, Marvel isn't suffering and Disney+ ratings haven't suffered at all. Eternals didn't do well because it wasn't well received, like most movies not well received, they simply don't do well.

What "variants" are you talking about, exactly? There's been only one female lead MCU film in Phase 4 and Black Widow isn't a gender bent character. So what are you even comparing? Do you even know or are you so caught up in feeling like a victim because other demographics are bring represented?

And yes, clearing a few hundred million IS considered a very good thing, which is why you have films that didn't hit a billion dollars still getting sequels.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I just don't want to spend my money on companies that don't appreciate my patronage and tell me how awful I am.
    Not trying to tell you how to spend your money and I totally understand not wanting to be told that, but have you ever considered trying not to be?

Wonder if this'll effect the whole Reedy Creek thing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    What "variants" are you talking about, exactly? There's been only one female lead MCU film in Phase 4 and Black Widow isn't a gender bent character. So what are you even comparing? Do you even know or are you so caught up in feeling like a victim because other demographics are bring represented?

And yes, clearing a few hundred million IS considered a very good thing, which is why you have films that didn't hit a billion dollars still getting sequels.
    By their logic, every Marvel has to clear (in Dr Evil voice)- ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!!

Not every Marvel needs to clear a billion dollars moreso now that China is no longer (and will likely never be again) in play. Just because a movie starring Dr. Strange or Thor (characters that have never had billion-dollar movies) didn't hit a billion doesn't mean they're not hits.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=285c76e02884

Apart from the Avengers movies, BP and Spider-man: No Way Home, no MCU has crossed a billion dollars WW without China. So expecting it to happen now without an Avengers-level cast or a cultural breakout like BP or the re-union of every single Spider-man ever is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    By their logic, every Marvel has to clear (in Dr Evil voice)- ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!!

Not every Marvel needs to clear a billion dollars moreso now that China is no longer (and will likely never be again) in play. Just because a movie starring Dr. Strange or Thor (characters that have never had billion-dollar movies) didn't hit a billion doesn't mean they're not hits.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=285c76e02884

Apart from the Avengers movies, BP and Spider-man: No Way Home, no MCU has crossed a billion dollars WW without China. So expecting it to happen now without an Avengers-level cast or a cultural breakout like BP or the re-union of every single Spider-man ever is ridiculous.
    Yup.

And what really sad is that even though you and I have explained why they're thought process is wrong, backing it up with actual evidence and logic, people like him will ignore that. They won't take the time for any self reflection or anything. They'll just double down and feel like they're being oppressed somehow smh

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    'Hitting home runs' is relevant. Marvel content is crazy expensive to produce and market. Just clearing a few hundred million is not necessarily a 'home run'.

Do you see any M-She-U variants on here, by chance?

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/d...or/Walt-Disney

Why, you didn't know where I'm coming from before now?
    M-She-U is a term used to claim that Marvel is now "woke" thanks to Disney. I posted this in another Thread not too long ago it's from 2010 it's a statement given by the Council of Conservative Citizens a well-documented White Supremacist group here's their wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counci...ative_Citizens

This is their response to Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall a Norse God.

"It is well known that Marvel is a company that advocates for leftwing ideologies and causes," the site reads. "Marvel frontman Stan 'Lee' Lieber boasts of being a major financier of leftwing political candidates. Marvel has viciously attacked the Tea Party movement, conservatives and European heritage. Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor. Marvel has now inserted social engineering into European mythology."

The Far-Right Hate Groups have always known Marvel was "Woke" and when a person points to "Wokeness" as the problem then they're siding with them and thus are judge by the company they keep.

Fact is Iger turned around the disasters that were California Adventures and Disneyland Paris while the other parks thrived under him.

He created Disney Shanghai.

He bought Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, and 20th Century Fox giving the company a juggernaut of IPs which he used to created DisneyPlus one of the biggest streaming platforms on Earth and he got them controlling interest in Hulu another major streaming platform. He also got Disney back Spider-Man's Merchandising Rights and Animated TV Rights. Under this man Marvel became the biggest name in Pop Culture and IMO the Biggest Franchise ever given it crossed into Markets even SW never had success in. At the time of writing this Disney Stock has already jumped by 7 bucks due to his announcement to put in prospective WB Discovery stock price in only 10.59 meaning Iger name alone is worth as much as WB at the moment.

If you're a Shareholder or Disney Fan today is a good day.

Woman Lead in a movie or show = Woke

POC in a movie when they are not playing gang members or drug dealers = Woke

LTGBQ+ Characters having speaking roles = Woke

A movie with a pure white cast where the males are the leads and have most of the screen time = a great movie give it an Oscar.

And so many people do not see the issue with this.

Having a POC, a woman, or LTGBQ+ characters and leads does not make a movie Woke! It makes it representive of The World we live in. There are POC, Woman and gay people in this world no matter how much people want to ignore that or pretend it is not so.

I saw two men holding hands at Walmart today. And you know the world is still spinning, frogs did not come out of the sky, the ground didnt open up and swallow the store. Amazing huh?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    He also got Disney back Spider-Man's Merchandising Rights and Animated TV Rights..
    That isn't the win you think it is. That deal brought Spectacular Spider-Man to an end and the three cartoons they produced afterwards are considered mid at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    That isn't the win you think it is. That deal brought Spectacular Spider-Man to an end and the three cartoons they produced afterwards are considered mid at best.
    It's a win for Disney. Seriously fans need to take their feelings out of the equation when assessing companies.

I loved Spectacular Spider-Man thought Ultimate was Ok and disliked Marvel's Spider-Man. But having full merchandising rights is a massive win for the company. They now get all the profits for every toy, piece of clothing and etc that's a huge win.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-21-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Woman Lead in a movie or show = Woke

POC in a movie when they are not playing gang members or drug dealers = Woke

LTGBQ+ Characters having speaking roles = Woke

A movie with a pure white cast where the males are the leads and have most of the screen time = a great movie give it an Oscar.

And so many people do not see the issue with this.

Having a POC, a woman, or LTGBQ+ characters and leads does not make a movie Woke! It makes it representive of The World we live in. There are POC, Woman and gay people in this world no matter how much people want to ignore that or pretend it is not so.

I saw two men holding hands at Walmart today. And you know the world is still spinning, frogs did not come out of the sky, the ground didnt open up and swallow the store. Amazing huh?
    Exactly.

The whole "M-SHE-U" thing is bizarre because Marvel has made a grand total of one (1) female-led superhero movie in phase 4-Black Widow. In fact, Marvel has made only two (2) female-led films in 14 years (!!). They've had only 2 female-led tv series- She-Hulk and Ms.Marvel (not Wanda was the co-lead in Wandavision). The vast majority of MCU projects are still led by men but according to the "reactionary right", a handful of female-led tv series is too many.

Same with LGBTIQ characters, they've only been supporting characters in the movies but the mere existence of them is offensive to these folks. They're still parroting that extremely outdated talking point of Disney trying to "TurN thE KiDs GaY" or "gAy pEoPle ArE gRoOmiNg oUr BAbIeS". It's wild how these guys have brought back decades-old talking points.

As I said, Disney isn't going nor should appeal to the vocal minority of audiences that have problems with everything other than straight, white, men. That's just a waste of time because these guys will NEVER like these films for one reason or the other.

This isn't about culture wars.

Chapek's focus on prioritizing Disney+ over theatrical turned out a disaster, something people with knowledge about the entertainment business told him more than a year ago when he made stupid moves like day and date releases and shortening theatrical windows. Furthermore he alienated many Hollywood creatives by his mishandled management of the Scarlett Johansson lawsuit and by basically shelving most Pixar content directly to Disney+.

These things will improve under Iger. I can see him cutting off some of the planned Disney+ shows because there are just too many and they cost too much. Of course that won't apply to the "woke" content exclusively. He was the one who disempowered the racist misogynist Ike Perlmutter and gave Feige full control over the movie side, therefore allowing the latter to "go woke", so anyone who believes Iger will now end the M SHE U is setting themselves up for disappointment.

The high investments for the MCU shows can't get turned into profit by releasing them on a subscription based streaming service, Netflix had to learn that lesson, too. Maybe Iger will even extend the theatrical window again since the six weeks until an MCU movie gets released on Disney+ clearly also affected the comparably weak legs of MCU phase 4 movies along with the lukewarm reception of some of them.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I suspect Iger replacing Chapek (who was just a parks guy) is less about the content of Disney's content and more about overspending too quickly on creating content (as fear of a recession increases, thus increasing scrutiny on the streaming model): (And it seems Chapek's only solution was annoying cost cutting and cost restrictions in other areas)
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/media...-q4/index.html
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-21-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    This isn't about culture wars.

Chapek's focus on prioritizing Disney+ over theatrical turned out a disaster, something people with knowledge about the entertainment business told him more than a year ago when he made stupid moves like day and date releases and shortening theatrical windows. Furthermore he alienated many Hollywood creatives by his mishandled management of the Scarlett Johansson lawsuit and by basically shelving most Pixar content directly to Disney+.

These things will improve under Iger. I can see him cutting off some of the planned Disney+ shows because there are just too many and they cost too much. Of course that won't apply to the "woke" content exclusively. He was the one who disempowered the racist misogynist Ike Perlmutter and gave Feige full control over the movie side, therefore allowing the latter to "go woke", so anyone who believes Iger will now end the M SHE U is setting themselves up for disappointment.

The high investments for the MCU shows can't get turned into profit by releasing them on a subscription based streaming service, Netflix had to learn that lesson, too. Maybe Iger will even extend the theatrical window again since the six weeks until an MCU movie gets released on Disney+ clearly also affected the comparably weak legs of MCU phase 4 movies along with the lukewarm reception of some of them.
    Exactly this.

Iger criticized Florida’s Dont say bill nonsense and would likely have taken a stronger stand against it.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31/media...r-dont-say-gay

Anyone thinking he’s coming in to “de-woke” Disney is living in fantasy.

Like I said, zero self reflection smh lol