Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Did You Like FF's Reckoning War?

It was an event teased for quite some time and was marketed as a big game changer.
    Did you enjoyed it?
    And cn someone post some spoilers? I don't know if I can manage to read it since comic book arrivals in Greece are suffering to a certain degree.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How much spoilers do you want? It'll take a while to right up.
    "Cable was right!"

The story was a little over than average when it comes to the big events, but sadly almost all the main issues of the story published in regular Fantastic Four series and there were no tie-ins, and this was one of the rare stories that actually needed tie-in issues. So, the pacing had problems, Slott went through everything so fast without allowing space to any dramatic effect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How much spoilers do you want? It'll take a while to right up.
    Pretty much the entire thing. I would appreciate it greatly!

I liked it but it could have been better. Felt rushed because I think Slott was at the end of his FF run.

We also never got a followup to Gauntlet, Southpaw and the other's statuses.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I'm a big fan of Slott's early work at Marvel: She Hulk, GLA, Avengers the Initiative.
    I thought that he was expanding the Marvel Universe, especially in ATI, and I enjoyed all the hints about the Reckoning War. Gauntlet, Southpaw, Armory and the Tactigon, the Grasshopper armor... I was eager to discover that story. I especially felt that Gauntlet and Southpaw had a lot of potential.

Then Slott got to play with the big old characters. Mighty Avengers, ASM, Iron Man, and he stopped teasing the Recknoning War. He was enjoying the old toys so much that it seemed he didn't care anymore about the ones he created.
    At some point I gave up on that event, I was sure it would never happen.

So I was overenjoyed when the teasing came back at the end of Empyre.
    And at long last, the event was announced.
    Every elements were going to come together. The tactigon would be out of the vault, maybe with Armory wearing it again! Gauntlet would stop being a soldier and become a hero! He would inspire Southpaw!
    PFFFFFFFRT.
    Gauntlet and Southpaw appeared in a total of 1 pages, just to have their weapons (and maybe their arms? their lives?) ripped off. The tactigon was immaditely destroyed too by the new super powerful super smart big bad.
    All the story was at the glory of Grandpa Lee and Kirby's characters.

I will never trust Dan Slott again.
    This is not a judgement about the quality of his writing. The plot itself was not that bad. It's just that it made me realize how much I hate his vision of the Marvel Universe and the direction he gives to his stories.

Slott is like the reverse Bendis. Bendis will push his OC down your throat, again and again and again. He will make them so great and so special. Slott will drop his OC in the trashcan at the first opportunity to play with the characters he loved in his childhood.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2022...der-checklist/

According to Wiki they meet-up with the

The Reckoning, a group of aliens derived from a mysterious race called The Prosilicans, who orchestrate multiple alien invasions causing a catastrophic cosmic war, which also features Uatu, Nick Fury, Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, She-Hulk, and Jack of Hearts
    Which has a huge plot write-up if you are spoiler proof and is very Slott-esque and less impactful than Empyre and is a follow to those events.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I found it a mixed bag but mostly disappointing. But I've never been a big fan of Slott's work anyway.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Pretty much the entire thing. I would appreciate it greatly!
    Basically the "Reckoning" were a group of aliens who got tech from the Watchers and used the same tech to start wars all over the galaxy. The Watchers stopped them but it wiped out 90% of the known universe and the remaining 10% are the parts we know now and The Watchers just covered up knowledge of the War.

So these Reckoning guys attack Earth so they can get the Fantastic Four's Forever Gate. They blow up the Moon cuz to get rid of Uatu but he and Nick Fury Snr survive. Reed gets Watcher powers but he finds out it will kill him. She-Hulk and Jack of Hearts are involved: Jack is just a plot device later on and Jennifer is extra muscle.

Johnny is in Flame-On mode permanently because of Doom and he gets mad at Reed for not using his Watcher knowledge to cure him and leaves to gather allies to repel the alien invasion.

There was stupid Watcher spin-off where he tries to get other Watchers to help but they turn on him and try to execute him but he's saved by Susan and Nick Fury.

Reed, Ben, Jack and She-Hulk try to chase after the bad guys but they lose. Iirc this is the part where they use Jack to power up a portal to chase down the bad guys to Watcher homeworld.

Doom manages to get Cormorant (an OG villain Slott introduced) to join him and they join the FF at the final battle at the Watcher's homeworld.

The bad guys beat the Reckoning and restore the 90% of the universe that was destroyed.

Also Slott restored Galactus since he was dead in the Black Winter story arc in Thor.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    The story was a little over than average when it comes to the big events, but sadly almost all the main issues of the story published in regular Fantastic Four series and there were no tie-ins, and this was one of the rare stories that actually needed tie-in issues. So, the pacing had problems, Slott went through everything so fast without allowing space to any dramatic effect.
    Yeah, I concur--and that's as a fan of Slott's FF run. I think the pieces he laid out were good: the mysterious Cormorant, Big Brain Reed, the flipping Moon going bye-bye, the Watchers' dark secret. But with the break-neck pace, 30+ characters, and by Crom the most nothing-burger, bland red-shirt villains I've ever seen in a large MU story, nothing landed right. All the punches felt weightless, text mounds covered up the beautiful Rachel Stott art, and in the end everything was good and fine, no worries.

Really wish the story had either shrunk in size or had more pages. A low point in an otherwise stellar run imho.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Basically the "Reckoning" were a group of aliens who got tech from the Watchers and used the same tech to start wars all over the galaxy. The Watchers stopped them but it wiped out 90% of the known universe and the remaining 10% are the parts we know now and The Watchers just covered up knowledge of the War.

So these Reckoning guys attack Earth so they can get the Fantastic Four's Forever Gate. They blow up the Moon cuz to get rid of Uatu but he and Nick Fury Snr survive. Reed gets Watcher powers but he finds out it will kill him. She-Hulk and Jack of Hearts are involved: Jack is just a plot device later on and Jennifer is extra muscle.

Johnny is in Flame-On mode permanently because of Doom and he gets mad at Reed for not using his Watcher knowledge to cure him and leaves to gather allies to repel the alien invasion.

There was stupid Watcher spin-off where he tries to get other Watchers to help but they turn on him and try to execute him but he's saved by Susan and Nick Fury.

Reed, Ben, Jack and She-Hulk try to chase after the bad guys but they lose. Iirc this is the part where they use Jack to power up a portal to chase down the bad guys to Watcher homeworld.

Doom manages to get Cormorant (an OG villain Slott introduced) to join him and they join the FF at the final battle at the Watcher's homeworld.

The bad guys beat the Reckoning and restore the 90% of the universe that was destroyed.

Also Slott restored Galactus since he was dead in the Black Winter story arc in Thor.
    First of all. thank you so much! I really appreciate this.
    Second, doesn't sound like it was worth this entire build up for this event. It was hinted before Slott's run on ASM and from the look of it, it sounds like another day in the F4's life.
    Once again, thank you!

Mighty Member

To me, it felt like one of the most mediocre by-the-books crossover events in a while. Like, it was the event version of those How to Draw Anime 101 books you might find at the book store where all the anime characters look generic and off.

It wasn't terrible, but I've already forgotten the names and personalities of most of the villains.

I'm apathetic towards it. It didn't really do anything.

The "expansion of the universe" is meaningless in a medium where writers create new planets and aliens all the time with no issue. It doesn't even impact the FF in any way as they are just back to the status quo by the end.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

From a historical perspective it was good to finally see him make good on She-Hulk's Reckoning War role as he gave us a glimpse of it so many years ago. He even found a way to tie it to Original Sin (hint: his scene with Sam Alexander's Nova). On the flip side, Johnny's rallying the cosmic heroes to his side was mostly off-panel so we never got to see exactly how he convinced them. And if you haven't read his Silver Surfer run you might be unfamiliar with the cosmic entity Queen of Nevers. Which also brings up another issue for me, Slott's adding to the already crowded roster of cosmic entities with yet more of them (Queen of Nevers, Griever) that seem to partly overlap the profiles of existing ones.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It would have been nice to bring in the ancillary members - Scott, Sharon, T'Challa, etc. and allies - Caledonia, Lyja, Wyatt. But again, the story was rushed and only in a small number of books - FF and a one shot I think.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume