Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did Bill Everett and Stan Lee ever consider a different weapon for Daredevil?

Curious if someone knows any backstage stories on DD’s design and whatnot, other than the red/yellow costume of course.

His Billy club was more like a utility belt originally…

…which makes me wonder if they may have considered that or something else to lug all that stuff around or fight with.

I believe it started out as a chainsaw, but that caused some problems with the Comics Code.

Thank you so much for the info! I’ll try and look that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I believe it started out as a chainsaw, but that caused some problems with the Comics Code.
    Lmao what?
    W H A T ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Lmao what?
    W H A T ?
    ^^^Oh yeah it’s true!
    Just part of the creative process, seeing what works.

Originally Everett and Lee were going to make DD hearing impaired…:

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Curious if someone knows any backstage stories on DD’s design and whatnot, other than the red/yellow costume of course.

His Billy club was more like a utility belt originally…

…which makes me wonder if they may have considered that or something else to lug all that stuff around or fight with.
    I doubt it. The notes specifying "cane" go together with Matt's sightlessness. A weapon he could have with him in his secret identity seems like a very cool device to have. Especially in 1963.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I doubt it. The notes specifying "cane" go together with Matt's sightlessness. A weapon he could have with him in his secret identity seems like a very cool device to have. Especially in 1963.
    ^^*I figured that was the case (the billy club really is the perfect weapon for this character), but sometimes you’ve just gotta ask the hard questions…:

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    At first I was skeptical but then I remembered the silver age Daredevil villain Gladiator with his buzzsaw weapons on his wrists. Maybe the Comics Code was okay with a villain using such a deadly weapon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    At first I was skeptical but then I remembered the silver age Daredevil villain Gladiator with his buzzsaw weapons on his wrists. Maybe the Comics Code was okay with a villain using such a deadly weapon.

Whirlwind has buzzsaws as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

When did the code go away? Because Gladdy never killed anyone with the blades untill the original Eel either the mid 80s or the 90s. Up till then, he was only allowed to miss by a hairsbreadth. maybe make a slight tear in DD's costume.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    When did the code go away? Because Gladdy never killed anyone with the blades untill the original Eel either the mid 80s or the 90s. Up till then, he was only allowed to miss by a hairsbreadth. maybe make a slight tear in DD's costume.
    By the early 2000s, publishers bypassed the CCA and Marvel Comics abandoned it in 2001. By 2010, only three major publishers still adhered to it: DC Comics, Archie Comics, and Bongo Comics. Bongo broke with the CCA in 2010. DC and Archie followed in January 2011, rendering the code completely defunct.

Also, I’m pretty sure both Moon Knight and Wolverine have villains named Chainsaw who use…chainsaws.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Whirlwind has buzzsaws as well.
    Fidget spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Also, I’m pretty sure both Moon Knight and Wolverine have villains named Chainsaw who use…chainsaws.
    Dang it...I was gonna say Sporks...

Mighty Member

I just checked...Melvin Potter sliced up Leopold Stryke (Eel) in a 70s issue of Ghost Rider with a comics code seal of approval.