Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Honestly I’m not sure why Duggan added Alex to this book. Other than to regress him even further to his pre-90s X-Factor characterization, where he seems to have gotten over his inferiority complex that is. And, yes, I realize Duggan is not the first writer to regress him like this. Sadly.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Scott grades 'how are his brothers doing' on a curve. As long as they're not actively mind-controlled or overthrowing galactic empires, he considers them to be fine. Its all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Scott grades 'how are his brothers doing' on a curve. As long as they're not actively mind-controlled or overthrowing galactic empires, he considers them to be fine. Its all relative.
    ...that makes him out to be a terrible brother, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I do agree that Havok is not being treated well and his part of the story is the weakest of the book at this time. It seems forced to have him run into the arms of Maddie during Dark Web, since he currently "can't find" what he's looking for.
    He's tied with Firestar in being treated badly in my view. So far all Firestar has been is 'remember I worked with the Avengers?'

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Honestly I’m not sure why Duggan added Alex to this book. Other than to regress him even further to his pre-90s X-Factor characterization, where he seems to have gotten over his inferiority complex that is. And, yes, I realize Duggan is not the first writer to regress him like this. Sadly.
    I'm assuming Duggan's plans for Alex will be revealed in Dark Web. They're making it really look like he's siding with Maddie in that.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I think he's gonna leave the team and then join the Uncanny Avengers again as Captain Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I think he's gonna leave the team and then join the Uncanny Avengers again as Captain Krakoa
    Is that even a thing now that resurrection has been revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Yeah, I suppose I could see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Is that even a thing now that resurrection has been revealed?
    Well, Captain Krakoa is on the FCBD cover which mentions a new team forming…

“Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Yeah, I suppose I could see that.

Well, Captain Krakoa is on the FCBD cover which mentions a new team forming…

I missed that but now that i see it, i question why Kwanon and Monet (as Penance apparently) would join a reform Unity squad as opposed to the others seen here.

And i could see Havok taking on that mantle to distance himself from his current troubles as an X-man, though if this the course they are taking with him, i could not help but wonder if he would reunite with Janet and possibly get his daughter back (that never sat well with me, both breaking them apart or taking their child from them.)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    The whole Children of the Vault story-line existed to create a romance between Synch and Laura that we didn't get to see any of. There might have been a great love story in there, though I don't think you can do these two particular characters 'in character' and have them fall for each other, nor do I think they are the OTP for either. But there is potential to tell a great story--that wasn't shown on panel in any way shape or form. We just got a few panels of Synch pining after her in possibly the worst violation of 'show, don't tell' ever. That's a big part of our objection I think. We didn't get to see it unfold. We were told it happened and expected (forced) to buy into it.

Even worse, they wasted a potentially good opponent for mutants with a 300 year story we didn't see AND a lackluster, boring, and OOC ending. (Second time in two stories the good guy simply asked the bad guy nicely not to be bad and the bad guy shrugged and let the good guy go.)
    The whole story? There's no way you've been following the Krakoa era just to say this was all a setup to get Synch and X-23 to bone. That's utterly ridiculous. I didn't know Hickman was a shoujo romance writer and wasted 4 issues of his X-Men book to set up these two instead of showing that the Vault characters are a threat due to the application of advanced technology to manipulate their evolutionary process.

Blame Duggan for dragging this out for two (or three) years after Hickman wrapped it up nicely with no need to go back to it. So now the big showdown with the strongest anti-mutant enemy ever is reduced to a dream sequence and some stupid "activated my trap card" strategy.

Y'all should've learned your lesson from Marauders.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How would that even work?

Why set up Laura as a sleeper agent when the Krakoans just resurrect themselves without the need to recover the previous body?
    How would the Vault even know the X-Men were going to come back for a rescue mission? And the Vault knew the X-Men were coming back but not about Forge's trap?
    Not saying she is, I think its a possibility it just doesn't feel right to me. Lets see how Duggan carries this. I could be 100% wrong
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The whole story? There's no way you've been following the Krakoa era just to say this was all a setup to get Synch and X-23 to bone. That's utterly ridiculous. I didn't know Hickman was a shoujo romance writer and wasted 4 issues of his X-Men book to set up these two instead of showing that the Vault characters are a threat due to the application of advanced technology to manipulate their evolutionary process.

Blame Duggan for dragging this out for two (or three) years after Hickman wrapped it up nicely with no need to go back to it. So now the big showdown with the strongest anti-mutant enemy ever is reduced to a dream sequence and some stupid "activated my trap card" strategy.

Y'all should've learned your lesson from Marauders.
    I blame both of them for bad plotting and lazy writing.

And I did not say the whole Krakoan Era was a set up to the bad Synch/Laura romance. I said the whole Children of the Vault part of it was. It served no purpose except for a random suicide mission that leads to a few centuries of stalking the only woman available and then, apparently, a torrid love affair. None of which was actually depicted except for a few flashback panels.

The problem is the CoV aren't a threat to mutants? Nobody is anymore. Everyone they face is just a jobber of the weak. (Pun intended.)

Three mutants survived centuries in their closed system. (Which completely suspends disbelief, but whatever. Not even close to the biggest plot hole of the era.) Then, the entire Vault was very easily soloed by one mutant and his invention (Forge). They didn't actually do anything to Krakoa. They didn't expose anything about our heroes. They didn't advance the story in any way...except the romance.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I blame both of them for bad plotting and lazy writing.

And I did not say the whole Krakoan Era was a set up to the bad Synch/Laura romance. I said the whole Children of the Vault part of it was. It served no purpose except for a random suicide mission that leads to a few centuries of stalking the only woman available and then, apparently, a torrid love affair. None of which was actually depicted except for a few flashback panels.

The problem is the CoV aren't a threat to mutants? Nobody is anymore. Everyone they face is just a jobber of the weak. (Pun intended.)

Three mutants survived centuries in their closed system. (Which completely suspends disbelief, but whatever. Not even close to the biggest plot hole of the era.) Then, the entire Vault was very easily soloed by one mutant and his invention (Forge). They didn't actually do anything to Krakoa. They didn't expose anything about our heroes. They didn't advance the story in any way...except the romance.
    Can you provide, like any proof on your notion that Everett was stalking Laura while in the Vault? You making a hell of an assumption about a very chill brotha that has never displayed traits like that since his whole inception. Odd that you put that on him, and why is he referred to as a predator.

BANNED

Just read this & liked it more than the last 2 issues. I'm really into Forge's vision of Krakoa's future, re. his "real estate" development plans. I just hope it's not already too late, to see it come to fruitition, is all.

Also found it *very interesting*... that during the *eXchange* w/Darwin while in his own mind, he donned the suit for... Captain Krakoa!!

And I 💚 seein' Forearm behind the bar @theGL, miXing drinks. Not sure if that's new, but it's the 1st time I noticed it, and think it's a positively brilliant, li'l detail to add.

Another nice touch was everything... Caliban! After this arc, his characterization's a keeper, AFAIC. This modern, mutant age needs more of his kind around.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Just read this & liked it more than the last 2 issues. I'm really into Forge's vision of Krakoa's future, re. his "real estate" development plans. I just hope it's not already too late, to see it come to fruitition, is all.

Also found it *very interesting*... that during the *eXchange* w/Darwin while in his own mind, he donned the suit for... Captain Krakoa!!

And I �� seein' Forearm behind the bar @theGL, miXing drinks. Not sure if that's new, but it's the 1st time I noticed it, and think it's a positively brilliant, li'l detail to add.

Another nice touch was everything... Caliban! After this arc, his characterization's a keeper, AFAIC. This modern, mutant age needs more of his kind around.
    Now how in the world did I not catch that? You're absolutely right, Forge is in the Captain Krakoa costume in the scene with Darwin. Very interesting indeed.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!