View Poll Results: How do you primarily see Power Girl?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Superman character

18 21.43%
  • A JSA character

53 63.10%
  • An independent DC character

13 15.48%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do you consider Power Girl a Superman, JSA or independent character first?

Something that's been discussed, on and off, on the various JSA threads active right now and which I thought warranted a poll.

Power Girl is Supergirl's Earth 2 doppelganger, and the cousin of the Earth 2 Superman (who is notionally at least supposed to be the original Golden Age Superman). So in that sense, she is a Superman character.

But she first appeared in the pages of a JSA story, was created primarily to be a JSA character during their 70's revival, and appeared far more often in the pages of JSA stories than she ever did in Superman stories (probably because her Superman has never been the 'main' version during her existence as a character).

A case can also be made for Power Girl as an independent B or C-list DC character, and certainly there was an effort to make her one for a while after COIE (including with the Atlantean origin).

Personally, I lean towards her being more of a JSA character than a Superman character, and it seems that's DC's current line of thinking going by The New Golden Age. But would love to hear what you'll think...

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I see her as all 3

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I see her as all 3
    Now that's a cop-out answer

(No offence, you're entitled to your view of course!)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Now that's a cop-out answer

(No offence, you're entitled to your view of course!)
    I mean....i think she's one of those characters where its true. She has as strong of ties to the SM fam as she does the JSA and a if that makes her a character that can be independent but part of everything all at once.

I see her as a Superman and JSA character first. I know her mostly through those relationships. I just saw her as a legacy character.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Retired

Although she was introduced as a founding member of the "Super Squad"--her being Superman's cousin was the whole point. So she's a Superman family character.

Where's "an Aquaman character" option? Remember when she was an Atlantean for almost two decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Where's "an Aquaman character" option? Remember when she was an Atlantean for almost two decades?
    Please no. I'm still trying to forget that Power Girl era.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Please no. I'm still trying to forget that Power Girl era.
    Lol, who doesn't. It's insane it lasted so long.

I’m going with JSA, yes she’s Superman’s cousin from Earth-2 but most of the time she’s not really regularly on Superman’s adventures list. Most of the time she’s hanging with the JSA, and on one or two weird occasions Harley Quinn.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

To me she’s a great combination of the Superman and JSA ties, which puts her in a unique position in the DCU.
    I also really love how she’s also built her own niche as a powerful businesses mogul.
    I think DC should make that side of her more prominent as she’s one of the few good female characters to find that level of success. Most others are supervillains.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    More of an Arion, Lord of Atlantis character than "an Aquaman character" . . . she would have been from the pre-water breathing era of Atlantis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Although she was introduced as a founding member of the "Super Squad"--her being Superman's cousin was the whole point. So she's a Superman family character.
    IIRC, wasn't Super Squad just a very short-lived attempt at reinventing the JSA? And not really anything to do with Superman in particular?

She was created for the JSA, she's maintained her ties to them over the years for the most part. Yeah, I see her as a JSA character first and foremost. Superman second.

JSA for me. With her first appearing in the Bronze Age, she really didn't get a chance to be well associated with the Earth-2 Superman since he was no longer in his own title.

However, I did kind of hope we would've gotten a Next Gen team that combined the JLA & JSA with Firestorm, Cyborg, Power Girl, Huntress, and Vixen.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.