Extraordinary Member

Default Wildstorm 30th Anniversary Special #1 Preview

Wildstorm 30th Anniversary Special #1 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

I’m weirdly excited for this. Wildcats had an okay first issue and this new City Boy character looks fun. Plus it’s always good to see more Hawksmoor.
    It also looks like this is where the new Stormwatch will appear for the first time, since there’s a story by Brisson and he’s supposed to be the writer of the new book. I do hope that leaked line-up isn’t correct, because it was boring as hell.

I wonder how City Boy’s powers differ from Jack’s. Or is he just a junior version who uses the powers to steal.

Would be cool if his last name is “Jim/James” or last name “Lee”. A little tribute to Jim on the 30th anniversary of the company he founded.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-23-2022 at 06:51 PM.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-introd...rsary-special/

I'm not a huge fan of Wildstorm but Jack was one of my faves. City boy sounds cool and I hope he gets a spinoff. Here's a preview for that segment.

So seeing as how this is an $8 book I’m just going to put into spoiler boxes the new stories set in the main dc universe. Now some of these stories are reprints set in the old Windstorm universe, so if I get a few things wrong I apologize.

Grifter
    spoilers:
    Not really much to write about it’s just a story written by Rosenberg where he fights Ninjas, steals from a scientist, and then deals with Talia Al Ghul who he manages to tick off with his antics. Maybe this means we will see Talia in Wildc.a.t.s but honestly pretty simple story.
    end of spoilers

Deathblow
    spoilers:
    Another Rosenberg story, this time it’s basically Deathblow’s origin. Basically Kobra Cult murdered Cray so the Halo Corporation from Wildc.a.t.s put his brain into a new body by accident. They wanted his skills but got his brain so it transfers over to every new body he gets along with the memories of the bodies former owner.
    end of spoilers

Zealot and Angel Breaker
    spoilers:
    Joshua Williamson returns with his Angel Breaker character from Shadow War. Basically Zealot was the original owner of Angel Breaker’s sword and later Zealot would mentor a young Angel Breaker but Angel Breaker stole Zealots sword and they had a falling out. But as it turns out it’s more the sword picked Angel Breaker as it’s new master and so they reconcile and apparently they are going to fight some of the strongest women in the dc universe as training.
    end of spoilers

City Boy
    spoilers:
    It’s basically an introduction to this new character who will be part of Lazarus Planet. We get an idea of who he is because of a run in with Jacks Hawksmoor because Jack can sense him manipulating the city with magic. Not much of a confrontation and more of an introduction.
    end of spoilers

Midnighter and Apollo
    spoilers:
    Actually a follow up to PKJ’s action comics warworld saga about how Apollo has some ptsd over what happened to him while fighting these two russian villains I’ve never heard of (Hammer and Sickle?). But it will be fine because Midnighter is there for him and then they fly off to join the final issue of Dark Crisis. No I’m not kidding, it ends saying it will be continued in the final issue of Dark Crisis, so I guess watch to see if that’s accurate.
    end of spoilers

Stormwatch
    spoilers:
    Alright so this one will take a bit. Basically remember Mr. Bones former director of the DEO? Well he’s contacted Winter, a classic Wildstorm character, in the former Justice League Satellite which they have taken over after the Death of the Justice League. It’s Mr. Bones opinion that yes the Justice League will be back but their disappearance has shown a flaw in the system and that maybe they should murder criminals instead of just letting them go to jail.

So they form a team made up of DC and Wildstorm characters new and old. Flint, Shado, Rose Wilson, Core, and Peacekeeper-01 from Batman and they go off to kill a bunch of Nazis (the Fourth Reich team from JSA). There is another character Eminence of Blades but he’s quickly killed off so don’t worry about him.

At the end mission is accomplished and the team gets a weapon capable of taking out Superman, some kind of bomb that absorbs Sun radiation. Because Director Bones is well aware that once the Justice League come back they won’t be happy about Stormwatch and will need everything they got to take them on.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by sifighter; 11-29-2022 at 08:02 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So basically no buzz around this?
    I have to say the Stormwatch story didn't really excite me much. I don't like the membership choices and some of the ideas like adding a new Ukrainian hero with that powerset...

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I have to say the Stormwatch story didn't really excite me much. I don't like the membership choices and some of the ideas like adding a new Ukrainian hero with that powerset...
    Two problems with this issue of why there probably isn’t buzz.

1. It’s an $8 comic. Not a lot of people going to be reading that unless it’s a big deal. I got it because I read digital and had a gift card to spare from holidays.

2. They didn’t actually announce anything. Sure they establish storylines that may play out, definitely the Matthew Rosenberg ones given how he’s the Wildc.a.t.s writer, but they don’t actually say where all the stories go.

We see Zealot and Angel Breaker deciding to take on powerful women in the dc universe to train for some nebulous event, cool but no announced book or where it will be picked up.

We see Grifter messing with Talia but no idea if that’s something to look forward to.

We get Midnighter and Apollo post Action comics but that’s just tieing into Dark Crisis

A new fully formed Stormwatch team is established but no Stormwatch book to go with it or even a story arc announcement.

And while Cityboy has a book coming up it was pre announced for Lazarus Planet.

So basically a big collection of stories that could go somewhere cool but we don’t actually know will go anywhere.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    When they could not even be bothered with something like getting how Hawksmoor actually got his powers right?

It was kinda hard to get excited.

The "3.0" artist making the scene for the "WildC.A.T.s..." section was a nice touch though.

I do want to read more with city boy and Angel breaker so I'll probably check out Lazarus Planet.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-01-2022 at 04:54 PM.