Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well, a villain with a backstory that mirrors ... Batman, Dick Grayson, and crosses over into their Venn diagram in the past with connective "shared backstory" isn't out of the ordinary. Heartless feels requisitely Snyderian in that regard. But I think the execution is satisfactory, and I think he's thematically appropriate for Dick's "Act II" villain of the run. Nightwing didn't yet have a "body harvester villain" yet, either, so kudos. It's the cheese version of grimdark but it's kind of funny in that aspect.

I've been reading less analytically for a while now, so I did kind of smack myself for not realizing "hey the bully from that flashback is probably the guy".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Well given how important Alfred was to the start of the run, it’s this dark Alfred aspect that’s probably where the creative team is looking to differentiate.

I'm annoyed with the way DC does annuals now, Nightwing 2022 Annual #1. It should be Nightwing Annual #2!
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Can’t no? I don’t want to sympathize with a serial killer. But I wonder if he will keep killing now that he has his supercharged heart
    Pure evil is a dime a dozen and I'm not too saddened by the death of 2D drawings.

Give me a reason to actually care, damn it.

It’s like with wrestling heels. When they are really good at their job, you start to like them for it.

"A picture of what I'm wearing under this overcoat" - which turns out to be a simple blue long dress.

Y'know usually when someone says that they're indicating something a little racier or nothing at all .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I still think Hearless is a lame villain that does nothing to hold my interest but the further adventures of Bite-Wing and the training session with Jon were both fantastic.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 12-01-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Pure evil is a dime a dozen and I'm not too saddened by the death of 2D drawings.

Give me a reason to actually care, damn it.
    Really cuz I’m sick of “it’s not their fault “ villains given excuses to be cruel and harm, their are some deranged who just like causing others pain. He’s less fantastic as a villain and I find that more interesting

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I wouldn't say I don't like origins for villains, but I'd rather care about them first. So far Heartless has done nothing for me to care about him.
    And why would we want to care about a psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    And why would we want to care about a psychopath.
    Well, people care about the Joker and the Jeffrey Dahmer Netflix show is very popular.
    Most villains are horrible human beings anyways, are you guys expecting someone relatable?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Well, people care about the Joker and the Jeffrey Dahmer Netflix show is very popular.
    Most villains are horrible human beings anyways, are you guys expecting someone relatable?
    Not relatable but interesting and unique...and Heartless isn't either.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

This annual just made me like Heartless more. I dig sympathetic villains as much as the next guy, but it seems the medium has been oversaturated with them over the past however many years.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Not relatable but interesting and unique...and Heartless isn't either.
    Fair enough.
    I just wasn't expecting a sympathetic villain cause the first thing we saw this guy do was steal the heart of a homeless guy.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Fair enough.
    I just wasn't expecting a sympathetic villain cause the first thing we saw this guy do was steal the heart of a homeless guy.
    I wasn't expect a sympathetic villain either, just a well written one. He was bland and two dimensional before the annual, but the addition of the childhood animal mutilation from the annual this week just made him laughably by the numbers. It's like Taylor looked at an online list of stereotypical serial killer characteristics and said, "Yeah, I'll do that!" The only thing missing is a dance scene like Buffalo Bill's in Silence of the Lambs.

Incredible Member

Was anyone else hoping it was going to be the Butler