Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Any day with a new Pav thread is a new day.

While wishing the best for dear old Ben, I'm in for the ride. Felicia going Queenpin didn't ruin her, Thor going unworthy for a while didn't wreck him, either. Heck, Bishop hunted baby Hope and even he's back on the side of the angels. Benjy is strong--he'll make it through it.

That said, he might just murder Pete while he does it lmao. Will he? Let's find out!
    i actually think this'll be the case. ben eventually getting a good run, not the murder pete bit

i guess for me personally, i 've grown really fond of character arcs that make sense...there's a satisfaction i get from those that's hard to grip with continual retcons, resets and heel turns.

which i also get is the nature of the beast with long form story telling and superheroes. no shade on those who embrace the madness: it's a more fun way to be

there's also a window of interest for me that i think might have closed? i can't imagine checking in again in 2042 to see what nu new nouveau ben is up to...but never say never
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i actually think this'll be the case. ben eventually getting a good run, not the murder pete bit

i guess for me personally, i 've grown really fond of character arcs that make sense...there's a satisfaction i get from those that's hard to grip with continual retcons, resets and heel turns.

which i also get is the nature of the beast with long form story telling and superheroes. no shade on those who embrace the madness: it's a more fun way to be

there's also a window of interest for me that i think might have closed? i can't imagine checking in again in 2042 to see what nu new nouveau ben is up to...but never say never
    In a weird way, it doesn't bother me on that level, especially since Ben has had something happen TO him with both heel turns he's had that corrupted him.

And I always view comics as an exaggerated version of real life. And while I was never killed and resurrected over and over again or became a deranged supervillain, I've definitely acted out of character and gone through some very dark times where I was NOT my best self. I can relate on an allegorical level to characters that have lost their way and have regrets as a result.

I'm not saying this is for you, of course. But I'm looking forward to the eventual story where Ben starts to pull himself out of the hole he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    In a weird way, it doesn't bother me on that level, especially since Ben has had something happen TO him with both heel turns he's had that corrupted him.

And I always view comics as an exaggerated version of real life. And while I was never killed and resurrected over and over again or became a deranged supervillain, I've definitely acted out of character and gone through some very dark times where I was NOT my best self. I can relate on an allegorical level to characters that have lost their way and have regrets as a result.

I'm not saying this is for you, of course. But I'm looking forward to the eventual story where Ben starts to pull himself out of the hole he's in.
    100%. The blue-hooded wonder will one day smile again as he web-swings over NYC.

Mighty Member

Happy to see Pav back on the Ben beat. I'm not planning on reading Dark Web, but I think his recaps will best serve my interest of maybe changing my mind.

On a separate note, what is going on with character names at DC and Marvel? Chasm is actually pretty good (disregarding the Ben of it all or that Scarlet Spider is a baller name that was already sitting there)- it matches up w/his missing memories and evokes scary depths. Cool. Hallow's Eve? Can she be a functional villain not in October? King in Black? Batman Who Laughs? I suppose Gold Goblin gets a minor pass since it's directly in opposition to Green Goblin.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 11-24-2022 at 07:11 AM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Any day with a new Pav thread is a new day.

P.S. Pav, you been reading Defenders: Beyond? As a long-time lurker, can't help but think it's exactly your thing
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Happy to see Pav back on the Ben beat. I'm not planning on reading Dark Web, but I think his recaps will best serve my interest of maybe changing my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Great read as always!
    I appreciate the kind words! I wish I had more disposable income so that I could more easily buy Spidey titles every month, but these days the X-line has me hook, line, and sinker! Still, I won't be passing up opportunities to support our boy Ben!

And YES, I did read and really enjoy Defenders: Beyond!!! I'm a sucker for C-listers getting the spotlight and I also love when writers are able to utilize continuity like Al Ewing did at an expert level in this series (and the prior miniseries). So yeah -- really liked that series and am curious to see where THE MOTHER OF GALACTUS shows up next!

Did anyone else also read the first new Dr. Strange issue by Tradd Moore? Really beautiful artwork.

-Pav, who also liked Fraction's Defenders series with the Concordance Engines and Al Ewing's Ultimates...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Welcome back, Pav!

I'll read your dogged but charming positivity after I've flipped through the issue at the weekend. As with Beyond, I'm sure your posts will be more entertaining than the actual comics themselves and your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

A Ben fan looking for a ray of sunshine in a book shrouded in misery. Novel and ambitious, I wish you well Pav.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about all of this and I consider myself mister positive too. I think general readers who aren't as well-versed in Spider-Man can understand Ben Reilly's motives. The evil clone wants his memories back. It's pretty simple to understand.

I just wish that if we had to go down this "tragedy" route, it'd be more sympathetic at least. Sure Ben can go down a dark place in his life to get back his memories, but I think outright villain may be a step too far.

I'll be reading Dark Web and The Amazing Spider-Man comic, I don't know why. Maybe out of the pure idea I wanna see a Spider-Man and X-Men crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Honestly, I don't know how I feel about all of this and I consider myself mister positive too. I think general readers who aren't as well-versed in Spider-Man can understand Ben Reilly's motives. The evil clone wants his memories back. It's pretty simple to understand.

I just wish that if we had to go down this "tragedy" route, it'd be more sympathetic at least. Sure Ben can go down a dark place in his life to get back his memories, but I think outright villain may be a step too far.

I'll be reading Dark Web and The Amazing Spider-Man comic, I don't know why. Maybe out of the pure idea I wanna see a Spider-Man and X-Men crossover.
    The really stupid thing is, given that Dark Web will be a crossover of Spider-Man and X-Men, there’s a very simple and obvious solution to the issue of Ben’s missing memories considering Jean Grey is a telepath and could easily fill in the missing parts by copying them from Peter’s mind. Do I expect Marvel to take this obvious path? Hell no because they love dragging out terrible stories for as long as possible even when a solution is right in front of them. Just look at Pymtron where a means of separating them was right there in Iron Man only for them to not because they claimed that Pym was dead and Ultron was delusional in acting out Pym’s personality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post

I tjink they're failling to present Ben as a sympatethic character, which coul lead to Ben fans to be less mad at the situation and make the story more compelling in general

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I appreciate the kind words! I wish I had more disposable income so that I could more easily buy Spidey titles every month, but these days the X-line has me hook, line, and sinker! Still, I won't be passing up opportunities to support our boy Ben!

And YES, I did read and really enjoy Defenders: Beyond!!! I'm a sucker for C-listers getting the spotlight and I also love when writers are able to utilize continuity like Al Ewing did at an expert level in this series (and the prior miniseries). So yeah -- really liked that series and am curious to see where THE MOTHER OF GALACTUS shows up next!

Did anyone else also read the first new Dr. Strange issue by Tradd Moore? Really beautiful artwork.

-Pav, who also liked Fraction's Defenders series with the Concordance Engines and Al Ewing's Ultimates...
    Y'know it!

A stunner. Those fields! That fight sequence! It's giving me, in the best ways, the same vibe as the old, hyper-detailed cover art of Castlevania games.

I'm interested in the story the poetry\narration is spelling out. Excited to take the whole mini in once it concludes

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I just realized something...if Chasm and Hallow's Eve ever end up having a kid in their current forms they can set up a new origin for an Earth-616 Darkdevil at some point. It won't be the same without Mayday (unless Marvel gets their head out of their asses, then perhaps someday in the future we might see Mayday in the proper 616 timeline) but at least they wouldn't need to have their kid be some amalgamation of Matt Murdock's soul and Zarathos in order to have his dark powers.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I just realized something...if Chasm and Hallow's Eve ever end up having a kid in their current forms they can set up a new origin for an Earth-616 Darkdevil at some point. It won't be the same without Mayday (unless Marvel gets their head out of their asses, then perhaps someday in the future we might see Mayday in the proper 616 timeline) but at least they wouldn't need to have their kid be some amalgamation of Matt Murdock's soul and Zarathos in order to have his dark powers.
    That's a very interesting idea, actually.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    That's a very interesting idea, actually.
    I thought so too, I could also see this strange current incarnation of Ben lording the fact that he's able to be with the woman he loves and have a family all his own without having to sacrifice anything over Peter. I mean, if they want to set Peter and Ben apart then just go the extra mile and give us baby Darkdevil.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The writing in this issue was really poor.

The "oh, by the way, the debt collector is actually a serial killer" reveal was really bad.

I know the way Ben is written to be evil is just a continuation from what happened in Beyond, but now also turning Janine, a rape survivor, into a supervillain is a really questionable decision in and of itself. Did nobody know how bad this looked?
    That was so amateur hour. Almost like a bad fanfiction