Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    What a boring world you would create, then.
    No, fortunately I like a great number of things.

When it comes to Marvel super-hero movies though, I say just do the X-Men. Nothing else really matters other than them in that space.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post

When it comes to Marvel super-hero movies though, I say just do the X-Men. Nothing else really matters other than them in that space.
    OK, Dictator of the World, any more orders?

Yikes. /10char

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    OK, Dictator of the World, any more orders?
    It's not an order, it's an opinion.

I say just do the X-Men.

They can try all of those other C and D-list characters. I don't think they're going to be very successful with them. But they can certainly try.

Or they can just do the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I feel like you could easily side step any legal issues with Namor by simply marketing the movie as a Kulkukan: King of Talocan instead of Namor King of Atlantis or Namor the Submariner. You can even still call him Namor in the movie, but just have a specific title to avoid the rights/licensing agreements with the other studio. I'll happily take a small consultation fee for this idea, Feige.
    Yeah, but the "leak" says that the movie will be titled "Namor".

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post

It's not an order, it's an opinion.

I say just do the X-Men.

They can try all of those other C and D-list characters. I don't think they're going to be very successful with them. But they can certainly try.

Or they can just do the X-Men.
    The funny thing is MCU's success since its inception has been built on the shoulders of those C and D list characters. Let's be honest how popular was Iron Man among the mainstream audience before his first movie? Most likely less popular than any prominent X-character like Cyclops, Jean, Storm etc. Flash forward to now a stranger on the street is more likely to know him than any other x-character not named Wolverine. Hell, freaking Groot is more popular among casual viewers than many x-characters today. Fox had the hottest comic book property from mid 70's all the way to the late 90's/early 00's and their movies for the most part paled in comparison to the MCU both in terms of critical reception and financial success. I'm not throwing shade at X-men. I'm also not saying X-men can't have the biggest comic book movies. 10 years from now we may have an AoA movie that reaches to even greater heights than IW/Endgame. That is certainly a possibility. What I'm saying is this notion that X-men is the future and nothing else matters doesn't allign with MCU's past. We can have both Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk and I hope this is the case.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 12-08-2022 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Just gonna leave this here. *roller skates away*

Marvel Is Reportedly Refocusing on Quality Over Quantity for Phases 5 and 6
    Marvel Studios is reportedly 're-evaluating' its upcoming Phase 5 and 6 slate after heavy internal criticism about Phase 4's direction.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-changing-...over-quantity/

According to a Marvel Studios source cited by Cosmic Circus, the studio is re-examining its upcoming slate after "internal negative feedback" over the handling of Phase 4's distribution and quality. The issues addressed behind the scenes include creative difficulties with scripts, post-production problems and lacklustre visual effects. To prevent Phases 5 and 6 from continuing down a similar path, Disney could ensure a creative oversight on MCU projects still in the pre-production stage which in effect could see future projects delayed or outright cancelled.
    Honestly, I think the Infinity Saga was a fluke in terms of how successful it was. They managed to nail it with their first movie with perfect casting (Iron Man) and a good ability to react and change plans while building up to the ultimate villain in Thanos. Now, there's 20+ heroes not even including the FF or X-Men so there's no real core cast that really drives the universe like you had with Iron Man and Cap. I'm sure future MCU movies will do good and have fans but I think that run from Iron Man to Avengers: Endgame was a once in a lifetime success that Feige or anyone else won't be able to replicate. There could still be movies here and there that are smashes but as a long-form story, I don't see it reaching those heights. The MCU as a cultural phenomena seems like it peaked with the death of Tony Stark. Now it's just post-game DLC lol

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    The funny thing is MCU's success since its inception has been built on the shoulders of those C and D list characters. Let's be honest how popular was Iron Man among the mainstream audience before his first movie? Most likely less popular than any prominent X-character like Cyclops, Jean, Storm etc. Flash forward to now a stranger on the street is more likely to know him than any other x-character not named Wolverine. Hell, freaking Groot is more popular among casual viewers than many x-characters today. Fox had the hottest comic book property from mid 70's all the way to the late 90's/early 00's and their movies for the most part paled in comparison to the MCU both in terms of critical reception and financial success. I'm not throwing shade at X-men. I'm also not saying X-men can't have the biggest comic book movies. 10 years from now we may have an AoA movie that reaches to even greater heights than IW/Endgame. That is certainly a possibility. What I'm saying is this notion that X-men is the future and nothing else matters doesn't allign with MCU's past. We can have both Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk and I hope this is the case.
    Yeah, the past is the past, and what worked in the past in this instance I'm not sure can be duplicated.

And who would you put your money on? The current C and D-list Marvel characters, or the X-Men?

I would go all in on the X-Men.

And I honestly don't believe there's room for both. The comic book movie market is maturing and can only sustain so many things.

So it's a time for choosing.

Because over the next two years I don't believe Marvel will have a billion dollar movie. 2025 with the next Avengers movie is probably their next best shot at the billion dollar club. And I'm not a 100% sold on Kang Dynasty doing that well. I would look more toward the Secret Wars in 2026. And even with that, if they really want to have two or three dozen characters in it, I don't know how well that's going to play either.

Whatever happens, there may be a couple of years of "Is there super-hero fatigue?" articles. 2023 and 2024 might be kind of rough years for Marvel insofar as having huge box office movies.

And a billion dollars is the magic number because these movies cost a tremendous amount of money to make, and they're only going to get more expensive, and so if you're not making close to a billion dollars each time out, then you're just getting by. And if you're making lower budget comic book movies, then yeah, good luck with that. Because pretty soon people will stop caring.

X-Men and Spider-Man are the Marvel A-list. Everything else is below that. You can only do so many Spider-Man movies before people tire of that, and so the X-Men are it.

So the X-Men have to work. Marvel has to do them much better than Fox did.

And the X-Men may not work, Fox may have run it into the ground. But again, I think it's the only thing that they have left.

And the MCU's success in the past was due to the fact that it was a new thing and a must-see event. They have lost some of that to a degree, it's not as big of an event anymore, it's getting to the point where it's just another thing.

The X-Men though are the next must-see thing from Marvel. And so that's why I say that they're the only thing that really matters when it comes to Marvel movies.

And of course, I make no illusions about being objective about any of this. Oh, hell no.

No, I think all of the Marvel movies are corny as hell and have had no interest in seeing any of them (save for the Black Panther, and that was really just to support it because it was a movie with a Black lead character).

So yeah, I say get rid of all of that stuff and get to the X-Men. Something that I do actually want to see.

So yeah... just for full disclosure or whatever.

Astonishing Member

X-men were marvel A-list. To the general public, after their tenure under Fox and the MCU's promotion of other characters I'd put that under more serious questioning. If the initial X-men projects for the MCU flounder I could see them becoming those C and D-tier characters you bemoan the MCU's focus on.

Edit: "They can try all of those other C and D-list characters. I don't think they're going to be very successful with them. But they can certainly try."

Guardians of the Galaxy says hi.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    X-men were marvel A-list. To the general public, after their tenure under Fox and the MCU's promotion of other characters I'd put that under more serious questioning. If the initial X-men projects for the MCU flounder I could see them becoming those C and D-tier characters you bemoan the MCU's focus on.

Edit: "They can try all of those other C and D-list characters. I don't think they're going to be very successful with them. But they can certainly try."

Guardians of the Galaxy says hi.
    When I say A-list I'm speaking from a comic standpoint, not from a general movie-going audience standpoint. And the same goes for C and D-list characters.

If the general audience hasn't seen them in a movie, then they don't know who they are anyway. So to a general audience all of them are just characters.

But yeah, if you like the C and D-list Marvel characters, and are excited for their upcoming movies and Disney+ shows, then have at it. Enjoy.

Me... just give me the X-Men. That's all I want to see, that's all I care about. Their movies and their potential Disney+ shows. I don't want the C and D-list, I just want the A-list, the good stuff. Or what I consider to be the good stuff. Or call them the X-list. I just want the X-list. The X-list is the good stuff.

And yeah, like I said, Marvel has to make the X-Men work. And they may not, Fox may have run them into the ground, and nothing Marvel may do can make them work. That is a possibility.

Only time will tell.

EDIT:

And yeah, as I said earlier, I zero problems with C and D-list and obscure X-Men characters. The regular Marvel characters like that though I have no interest in. And that goes for all Marvel characters in general. I'm an X-Men fan, not really a Marvel fan.
    Last edited by Isaac Lawrence; 12-09-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

"A lot" =\= "most".

And, further still, do not confuse a vocal minority as being a large enough demographic to even come close to claiming theirselves as "most."
    But , we; as internet message board commenters, lol, don’t know what ‘most’ of the MCU fans are liking. Because ‘most’ of the MCU fans are much more casual and not discussing these things on the internet. My nephew loves marvel movies, but he hated She hulk, didn’t even finish the series, but watched the finally to see how it ended. He hated that most of all, lol. Especially the robot Kevin. I don’t think he actually got the ‘Kevin’ joke, because he doesn’t follow behind the scenes stuff or know directors, writers, producers. He doesn’t know that Fiege said they were going to do more niche stuff and that She hulk was not ‘made for him,’ so he shouldn’t ‘complain.’ There’s probably a lot of MCU fans like that, don’t follow behind the scenes stuff beyond the basics that show up on their streams and may or may not understand why Marvel’s being different.

The movies are still making money (except Eternals), and we don’t really know how the streaming shows are doing beyond what Disney tells us (so far Loki was the most watched MCU show) beyond that is speculation from third party sources. Disney plus did get a lot of subscribers, but spent so much money, they aren’t making any profit. If a bunch of people loved irreverent, twerking career woman she-hulk, but it regularly got less views than say, old episodes of phineas and ferb, it wouldn’t make sense to continue it. Again, this is also speculation, but if Disney really is re-thinking their strategy, than some of their shows haven’t been performing well.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 12-08-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    But , we; as internet message board commenters, lol, don’t know what ‘most’ of the MCU fans are liking. Because ‘most’ of the MCU fans are much more casual and not discussing these things on the internet. My nephew loves marvel movies, but he hated She hulk, didn’t even finish the series, but watched the finally to see how it ended. He hated that most of all, lol. Especially the robot Kevin. I don’t think he actually got the ‘Kevin’ joke, because he doesn’t follow behind the scenes stuff or know directors, writers, producers. He doesn’t know that Fiege said they were going to do more niche stuff and that She hulk was not ‘made for him,’ so he shouldn’t ‘complain.’ There’s probably a lot of MCU fans like that, don’t follow behind the scenes stuff beyond the basics that show up on their streams and may or may not understand why Marvel’s being different.

The movies are still making money (except Eternals), and we don’t really know how the streaming shows are doing beyond what Disney tells us (so far Loki was the most watched MCU show) beyond that is speculation from third party sources. Disney plus did get a lot of subscribers, but spent so much money, they aren’t making any profit. If a bunch of people loved irreverent, twerking career woman she-hulk, but it regularly got less views than say, old episodes of phineas and ferb, it wouldn’t make sense to continue it. Again, this is also speculation, but if Disney really is re-thinking their strategy, than some of their shows haven’t been performing well.
    Didn't Ms. Marvel do fairly mediocre? I don't think She-Hulk did very well either. I just read the other day that season 2 was on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    Didn't Ms. Marvel do fairly mediocre? I don't think She-Hulk did very well either. I just read the other day that season 2 was on hold.
    Marvel never officially announced a Season 2 of She-Hulk, so to say it's been "put on hold" is a misnomer.

As for the success of the MCU Disney+ shows, you can research into that if you care enough...or just dismiss it as "I heard it wasn't doing well." One facet of that would be reasonable; the other isn't. Just because Loki was the most popular doesn't mean the others didn't do well.

And the most vocal demographic concerning anything, in regard to "liking" or "disliking" something, is almost universally the crowd that doesn't like something.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    See...anyone can complain about anything. Especially if you didn't like the thing. Go on, complain all day. Maybe it wasn't to your tastes.

I hate football. Football "isn't meant for me." Should I complain until all football is canceled and I get my wish about never having to hear about football ever again? That would be silly. Despite me not liking football, football has value for other people.

Sad to say, but I'm not the only person in existence.

Marvel never officially announced a Season 2 of She-Hulk, so to say it's been "put on hold" is a misnomer.

As for the success of the MCU Disney+ shows, you can research into that if you care enough...or just dismiss it as "I heard it wasn't doing well." One facet of that would be reasonable; the other isn't. Just because Loki was the most popular doesn't mean the others didn't do well.

And the most vocal demographic concerning anything, in regard to "liking" or "disliking" something, is almost universally the crowd that doesn't like something.
    I mean, Ms MArvel did do pretty rough. No doubting that. MAybe some people liked it, but a whole lot didn't. I like the character, but the show wasn't for me. Audience scores for she hulk are pretty bad as well. I actually haven't met one person who liked the ending of the show. Any way you slice it, marvel quality is declining. Too much content too soon. they need to tone it back and take time to build a good story