Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’d tweak the dates of events. Johns’s timeline just doesn’t make sense in a world where Damian and Jon are a thing unless they have extremely convoluted explanations for their births and ages, which is not my preference.

Superman’s debut: At least 15 years ago.
    COIE: At least 12 years ago
    Death of Superman: At least 11 years ago.
    Jon’s birth: At least 10 years ago.

But these dates would be established internally. I would never ever write them in stone in a comic book, because it just messes up the sliding timescale and adds nothing of value to the stories.
    Maybe the kids and their moms go to Themyscira for daycare. But it sounds like Bendis already used a wonky time tool in the form of the Phantom Zone or actual time displacement, didn’t he?

Can't they say superman and Lois jumped back to the golden age/JSA time?

Have Karen show up then in the past,thinking he was her superman,because her superman was in the exact same position,but never got sent back to the past,he actually started,lived thru,and made it to present time naturally being in the moments.

Kara was the time thrown supermans cousin.

And just have Jon stuck somewhere where time moves insanely diffentt than ours,so he came back older,when only weeks went by on the earth
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Oh, that's good. Would you keep the “Superman: Lois & Clark” concept that they keep a low profile while in the past? I'd be inclined to, myself. As well, I wouldn't dump them in 1939; trying to stretch their stay in the past over 45 years is a bit much. But I could see bringing them into the early 1970s for about a decade, right about the time when All-Star Comics was reviving the JSA in the then-present and with the idea that Superman was an active member of the team. Jon could be conceived around 1976, and be roughly nine years old when the Crisis hits, and Alex Luthor rescues Superman and his family and sends them back to the 21st century. (This in place of Alex taking Kal-L, Earth 2 Lois, and Earth Prime Superboy to a corner of the Sixth Dimension, where they stay until Infinite Crisis).

It's definitely an interesting idea.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The Earth-3 thing should be forgotten. How can someone be tortured on a volcano for 5 years by the evil version of their father and barely show any psychological effects? Plus it makes the world’s greatest hero an incompetent if he let something like that happen to his own son.
    Whatever DC writers do next with Jon, that’s the one thing they should absolutely fix.
    Don't forget it hapened after his mother left him behind to go to write a book.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Being born after the wedding puts his birth-year as somewhere in the late 90's, which puts the YJ generation squarely in their mid-20's (and getting DC to admit that Tim is no longer a teenager makes pulling teeth look breezy).

I think the simple solution is to just retcon the when he was born. If Jon is three years younger than Damian, then that would mean he was born sometime around the original crisis, which would at least fix the age-related issues that Jon causes for the rest of the DCU.

Sidenote, but I have absolutely no idea what Johns was smoking with that "thirteen years ago" malarkey. You would think that with all the headache everyone went through with Flashpoint that we could all agree that compressed timelines don't work. Guess not?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

One panel, three pictures. One picture showing Clark and Lois marriage. Another picture showing Bruce with Damian as a two-year-old (you could say him and Talia are co-parenting until Talia decides to keep Damian from Bruce, for training purposes), taking a picture with Jon as a new born. The last picture is with Jon and Damian as Robin and Superboy. No questions asked where they fit in continuity, they can fit anywhere.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    As for Jon's later history: would there be a problem with saying that, instead of being trapped on Earth 3 for five years or so, he simply spent an additional five years in the 31st century, growing up with Bendis' Legion? (Though I suspect that Johns might do something like saying that Bendis' Legion is actually the Legion of Earth 3…)
    I think there's too much potential to Jon's "lost years" on Earth-3 to simply throw it away. That kind of trauma is something that has resonated with certain fans and it'd be a shame to lose it for what would essentially just be a rehash of Clark's own LSH years. The more distinct that Jon becomes from Clark, the better. The idea of him going through a really dark period in which he was trapped with this dark reflection of his father is too potent. And the fact that Jon emerged from that crucible without becoming some dark brooding asshat is icing on the cake.

Spectacular Member

24 year sliding time scale seems like the best solution for DC

It means that dick Grayson is 32/36 years old as he debuted as Robin either as an 8 year old or a 12 year old

You guys love making things complicated.

Death of Superman
    Marriage of Clark and Lois
    Jon's birth
    Jon takes off with grandpa
    Gets taken somewhere by ultraman where time moves different to torture him
    Comes back only weeks gone by on the main DCU ,but older because of the time movement difference
    Easy
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

The difficulty there, and the one that I started this topic to address, is the gap between “Jon's birth” and “Jon takes off with grandpa”. It's the fact that Conner was introduced in Reign of the Supermen as a teen, then meet up with equally-teenagers Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Cassie Sandsmark, et al, and started their careers as Young Justice; and then Jon was conceived, which would have added a full decade to all of their ages, putting them in their late 20s by the time Jon takes off with grandpa.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of how DC has de-aged the YJ crew in New 52, attempting to keep them perpetually stuck as teenagers. But letting them be in their early 20s is one thing; having them be pushing 30 is something else entirely. Thus, my initial proposals: either restore the time travel element to Jon's birth so that a nine-year-old Jon appears a year or two after Flashpoint, or push the wedding of Lois and Clark and Jon's birth to some point before the Death of Superman, so that Jon was already around (though not yet aware of his powers) when Doomsday killed Superman.

Every other solution I've seen either ages everyone up too much (the aforementioned “YJers are pushing 30”) or knocks Superman's timeline so far out of sync with everyone else's that Doomsday would have happened in the early Silver Age.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    The difficulty there, and the one that I started this topic to address, is the gap between “Jon's birth” and “Jon takes off with grandpa”. It's the fact that Conner was introduced in Reign of the Supermen as a teen, then meet up with equally-teenagers Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Cassie Sandsmark, et al, and started their careers as Young Justice; and then Jon was conceived, which would have added a full decade to all of their ages, putting them in their late 20s by the time Jon takes off with grandpa.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of how DC has de-aged the YJ crew in New 52, attempting to keep them perpetually stuck as teenagers. But letting them be in their early 20s is one thing; having them be pushing 30 is something else entirely. Thus, my initial proposals: either restore the time travel element to Jon's birth so that a nine-year-old Jon appears a year or two after Flashpoint, or push the wedding of Lois and Clark and Jon's birth to some point before the Death of Superman, so that Jon was already around (though not yet aware of his powers) when Doomsday killed Superman.

Every other solution I've seen either ages everyone up too much (the aforementioned “YJers are pushing 30”) or knocks Superman's timeline so far out of sync with everyone else's that Doomsday would have happened in the early Silver Age.
    The YJ crew, and Tim in particular, are constantly aged down and never allowed to progress. Look at Tim being jammed back into the Robin role. And who knows how the others are being called nowadays (let alone how Bart even exists at this point). Compressing timelines is stupid, and makes things make even worse sense than before. And that's saying something.

As for Jon; toss out the age up period. Stretch out the overall timeline to 20+ years for the JL crew, and have Jon the same age as Damian (as he should have been from the start). Yes, Jon is still bisexual, just not smooshed into the same age group as Kon, Kara, Cir-El, etc. Whereas a young teen/tween LGBTQ+ is actually a good demographic to represent.

Erase it all

Jeez ppl
    Death 10
    Marriage 9.5
    Jon 9
    Left recently
    Came back even more recent

Kon was around 14 when he was let out
    Kon should be 24 now,course DCs sliding backward ages makes him younger,but should still be atleast 21 even with them doing the YJ Gen wrong.he should never be portrayed as a teen at this time.

Jon should be around 19,but he should be stuck in the same backwards aging problem thst the YJ gen are stuck in,so he would be around 17 years old now

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Id rather just delete Jon out of existence all together, g
    he adds nothing to the Superman or DC comics in general, those that want him to be a young kid again are ignorantly admitting that the Superman books need to rip off Batman(and Robin by nature) and the young hero becoming the mentor style to become relevant since Batman is by concept a better constructed world and hero story than Supermans.
    Nope

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Nope

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out
    It was probably Joe Quesada on a throwaway account going "You all ready for Superman's One More Day?! I know I am! Wait...what? What do you mean this isn't Marvel? What do you mean Dan Didio is still in control from behind the scenes? What do you mean I can't break up the marriage? I was promised...yeah...but...then why the hell did I quit my job at Marvel?!"
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 11-30-2022 at 04:11 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker