Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    What do you mean? Marvel’s continuity is in a MUCH better place than DC’s because they never had universe-wide reboots. Sure, there are things like Hickman’s Secret Wars, but it didn’t fundamentally change anything.
    Miles Morales says "hi". But seriously, it just proves your point as his story was wrecked by getting soft-rebooted into always being 616.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Miles Morales says "hi". But seriously, it just proves your point as his story was wrecked by getting soft-rebooted into always being 616.
    Miles's story was wrecked the minute they had him swinging around town as Spider-man when there was already another Spider-man.

Imagine Dick Grayson putting on Batman's costume and saying "I must continue the Batman legacy. Gotham must always have a Batman," while Bruce is standign five feet away in full costume going "I'm still here ya' know. I still fight crime."

Astonishing Member

I know it's way off-topic, but did they ever explain how/why Miles became Spider-Man in the context of 616 continuity?

One character compared to an entire universe of characters with confusing continuities. It's not even worth comparing

Instead of hypertime being "other splintered earth's",how about hypertime is happening all the time now ON the same earth.

Which means shit is alwsys happening here,so shit will alwsys change .

Only thing would be who would know all the changes who would be oblivious
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

What do you mean? Marvel’s continuity is in a MUCH better place than DC’s because they never had universe-wide reboots. Sure, there are things like Hickman’s Secret Wars, but it didn’t fundamentally change anything.
    Marvel is fitting everything into a 17-year space while giving zero hard dates, this was back in 2018. A lot of stuff can happen in seventeen years, but with all the stuff from 1961-2022 happened in 17 years? I can imagine it being better than DC, but not as good.

New idea: take everything that happened in the past and put it into folders on the cosmic DC Computer. Where the DC Writer is using Movie Maker to make DC Comics timeline. Jon Kent can be edited anywhere from 2010-2015.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Marvel is fitting everything into a 17-year space while giving zero hard dates, this was back in 2018. A lot of stuff can happen in seventeen years, but with all the stuff from 1961-2022 happened in 17 years? I can imagine it being better than DC, but not as good.
    Well, per JSA #1, Johns implied Batman’s debut happened 13 years ago! So that would make everything from the 40s to now only 13 years.
    17 years seems an ok period for Marvel, because their characters truly didn’t age as much, and more time could have passed since 2018.
    The fact that Marvel doesn’t give hard dates actually works in their favour, that’s how sliding timeless should work. To fix anything in a specific point in time invariably creates problems down the line.
    I’m sorry, but there’s no way to look at both companies’ continuities and say that DC’s is somehow less confusing.

Well, per JSA #1, Johns implied Batman’s debut happened 13 years ago! So that would make everything from the 40s to now only 13 years.
    Not quite true. Johns exempts everything published between 1940 to 1956 from that; and from 1956 to 1985, he doesn't include anything that was originally published as “Earth 2” as part of the 13-year floating timeline. And there's some question as to how much of the pre-Crisis Superman stuff is still in the timeline.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

17 years seems an ok period for Marvel, because their characters truly didn’t age as much, and more time could have passed since 2018.
    The fact that Marvel doesn’t give hard dates actually works in their favour, that’s how sliding timeless should work. To fix anything in a specific point in time invariably creates problems down the line.
    I’m sorry, but there’s no way to look at both companies’ continuities and say that DC’s is somehow less confusing.
    I didn't mean that is wasn't good, I forgot to edit my comment. I meant, but that fitting everything in seventeen years is really not a good idea. It would work if Marvel was smaller and manageable. But, Marvel keeps growing and growing. You can't account for a thousand characters. Sooner or later, the timeline won't be able to justify why Peter Parker is in his 30s.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I know it's way off-topic, but did they ever explain how/why Miles became Spider-Man in the context of 616 continuity?
    I don't think so.

Ultimate Universe Miles Morales, Reed Richards/Maker, Jimmy Hudson (Wolverine's son), Nick Fury and Ultimate Thor's Mjlonir all made it into the 616 continuity after 2015's Secret Wars. Nick Fury (who for 616 is Nick Fury Jr) was given a backstory and written into being the director of SHIELD. This was mainly to increase brand synergy with the MCU. As well as fill the void left by original 616 Fury being a Watcher now. After he murdered Uatu in Original Sin. Thanks, Jason Aaron.

Everyone else, are just in 616, but remember their home dimension.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I don't think so.

Ultimate Universe Miles Morales, Reed Richards/Maker, Jimmy Hudson (Wolverine's son), Nick Fury and Ultimate Thor's Mjlonir all made it into the 616 continuity after 2015's Secret Wars. Nick Fury (who for 616 is Nick Fury Jr) was given a backstory and written into being the director of SHIELD. This was mainly to increase brand synergy with the MCU. As well as fill the void left by original 616 Fury being a Watcher now. After he murdered Uatu in Original Sin. Thanks, Jason Aaron.

Everyone else, are just in 616, but remember their home dimension.
    In the comics it’s basically a new miles morales with a new family but with memories of his old life

Because everyone wanted to use miles morales AND his family

Johns has become one of those writers I'll read, depending on the title, but I no longer take anything he puts on the page as being worth anything.

13 year timeline? Isn't Damian 14 now? So Bruce met Talia and had a kid before putting on the cowl? Before meeting Dick Grayson? Hard pass. That's almost as stupid as trying to squeeze the entire DCU history into the New52's five year timeline.

I still plan on getting the new JSA series but I'll happily be ignoring stuff like this. That's nothing more than Johns' own head canon and I feel pretty justified in ignoring it. Hell, all of DC's other writers have ignored what Johns has done in recent years so I'm in good company. Remember when Doomsday Clock was supposed to set up a new continuity and direction going forward? DC abandoned that before the final issue of Clock even came out. I'm sure this will be no different.

13 year timeline. For f*ck's sake.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

This one is particularly ironic because it was Johns who established that Damian was 13 in DCU Rebirth.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Answer=hypertimism
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.