Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Likes and Dislikes about Lynda Carter Wonder Woman

What are your likes and dislikes about Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman/Diana Prince?

Astonishing Member

Her portrayal? Absolutely nothing. As for the show itself, though, the pacing and the lack of recognizable villains.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

She couldn't fly. To many Hippolyta recasts. Forced to ignore a lot of comic history/changes

I love everything about her, but I also think Lynda Carter is probably the only thing that show had going for it. The plots were weak, action was mediocre, barely used any comic villains, and the time jump between seasons 1 and 2 is jarring.

But Lynda's look, personality, voice... everything was perfection. It's very easy to see why she was so popular as she just had this very compassionate and beautiful aura about her.

More of her costumed villains would have been nice even though there's no way 70s show budget would have done any of them justice, I'm not particularly surprised the two they did adapt where ones whose outfits they could have just gotten from a WB costume storage facility.

Probably no massive time jump if only so 50 years later we don't have DC fans and creatively bankrupt types at DC trying to cram WW into both WW2 and modern times but apparently there was this X amount of time she quit and went back to Themyscira.

Literally just Lynda, that's it. Everything else kind of sucked.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Spectacular Member

While it would have been nice to see some of the costumed villains like Cheetah in live-action, the stigma of the Adam West "campy Batman" was still fresh in network executives' minds and the producers wanted to stay away from that so we got no costumed bad guys... although the one episode with the guy in a gorilla suit goes beyond anything that showed up on Batman! Formicida, the "Ant Lady" from Season 3 was as close we got.
    Last edited by The I.A.D.C.; 11-26-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    While it would have been nice to see some of the costumed villains like Cheetah in live-action, the stigma of the Adam West "campy Batman" was still fresh in network executives' minds and they producers wanted to stay away from that so we got no costumed bad guys... although the one episode with the guy in a gorilla suit goes beyond anything that showed up on Batman! Formica, the "Ant Lady" from Season 3 was as close we got.
    I did not like the Gorilla, but Formicida I did, even though quick-campy action scenes.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

- The theme song
    - Steve Trevor
    - Andros
    - Hippolyta from the pilot

Dislikes:
    - The time jump
    - Unnecessary changes like Drusilla instead of Donna
    - No costumed villains
    - Most of the episodes in seasons 2-3 are boring and generic

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    - The theme song
    - Steve Trevor
    - Andros
    - Hippolyta from the pilot

Dislikes:
    - The time jump
    - Unnecessary changes like Drusilla instead of Donna
    - No costumed villains
    - Most of the episodes in seasons 2-3 are boring and generic
    Great list! With which I agree. I will just add 1 Dislike:
    --Not getting Nubia played by Jayne Kennedy in the Season 2 episode "Knockout!"
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    While it would have been nice to see some of the costumed villains like Cheetah in live-action, the stigma of the Adam West "campy Batman" was still fresh in network executives' minds and they producers wanted to stay away from that so we got no costumed bad guys... although the one episode with the guy in a gorilla suit goes beyond anything that showed up on Batman! Formica, the "Ant Lady" from Season 3 was as close we got.
    Her name was Formicida, Formica is what laminate countertops are made from.

Diana Prince's fashion sense, while of the time period her outfits were classic enough that many could still be worn today, with a few tweaks and alterations. Fashion was such a large part of the show it also appears prominently in the DCEU version along with Diana Prince's Mercedes-Benz.

The I.A.D.C. as far as fictional spy agencies go it was tops. I really enjoy the undercover secret agent angle it brought to Wonder Woman (as well as how Cloonrad presents it in the comic currently).

Drusilla, Debra Winger's Wonder Girl was excellent in the two-parter "The Feminine Mystique" and I wish the Amazons' version of Adamantium, Feminum was mined for comic book consumption.

The Skrill and Andros were awesome!

"The Man Who Could Move the World" had Wonder Woman memorabilia that I remember pausing and staring at, it was deeply emotional too. Spectacular story!

"The Girl from Illandia" was great! Loved seeing Diana mentor a girl with powers, the story was sad, but the flips and gymnastics were everything!

The alternate costumes and modifications, there's an episode where Diana spins into her normal costume, then spins again into her diving suit that caused a Wonder-gasm for me. The same happened when she spun into her cape and climbed the side of a building Batman style with the cape flowing in the wind. There was also a version of the tiara that had a mask attached, and the skateboarding and dirt bike suits that repurposed the diving suit and added a gold helmet with stars and white goggles. The skateboard suit was her regular costume with red knee and elbow pads along with a red helmet with a gold eagle. Then there's the "The Bushwhackers" episode where she wore a red top and white pants because conservative cowboy star Roy Rogers found her normal attire too revealing. Those were all favorites of mine and add the red wig and cherry dress from when Diana Prince went undercover as "Diana Paradise".

The sound effects, I don't care what anybody says, they were iconic! There were different sound effects for strength moves, wonder jumps, the invisible jet, the rubbing of the tiara's ruby, the clanging together of the bracelets, the lasso encircling someone and when it was used to make them tell the truth, etc. They added a lot to the show and are cemented in my memory forever.

I went on a nostalgia binge recently and watched episodes of "The Six Million Dollar Man", "The Bionic Woman" and "The Incredible Hulk"...as much as Wonder Woman is maligned for it's cheesy special effects, their's weren't any better. That's just the way 70's tv shows were, chalk it up to the technology and production budgets of the time, not Wonder Woman being overly campy.

Dislikes

The cheats, like wearing heels when standing but flats while running. The afore mentioned diving suit episode where Wonder Woman jumps into what's supposed to be the ocean but she's clearly swimming around in a tank on a Warner Brother's backlot somewhere.

Lynda Carter's singing always makes me cringe. She can carry a tune and looks beautiful while doing it, but there's a cloying quality and earnestness that forces me to change the channel.

As others have commented, most of the villains were lame and there should have been much more comic book accuracy when it came to plotlines.

Beyond an early entry where she beats Stella Steven's ass, there wasn't enough (or almost any) violence. No kicking or punching, there were just pushes and shoves and maybe a flip here or there.

All in all that series made me a lifelong Wonder Woman fan along with Perez that I read before seeing re-runs of the show on cable. Like the late, great, Rodney Dangerfield it doesn't get enough respect.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 11-25-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Literally just Lynda, that's it. Everything else kind of sucked.
    Like you and many others said, Lynda Carter was literally the show's MVP/not-so-secret-weapon/raison d'être.
    My only real problem with the show was not the so-so scripts or the so-so action, but the lack of WW villains. And I get it, many of her recognizable foes would take larger budgets to be properly depicted in a TV show. However, Priscilla Rich, Angle Man, and many others would have worked. Even Silver Swan could've been adapted well to fit the show's limited budget, in my opinion. But overall, I loved the series.

Spectacular Member

The Silver Swan character wasn't created until 1981 (or '82?) after the series had been cancelled, but I agree that she would have been a welcome addition to the show. Who could have played her? It might have been neat to see Cathy Lee Crosby in that role!

Judging it in terms of the TV era from which it came, there’s hardly anything I dislike about the ABC season. If I’m going to nitpick I guess I’d say I dislike that they scrapped the slow-motion spin transformation. I dislike that there are only 12 ABC episodes. I don’t like some of the later wigs Lynda wore as WW as much as I like her real hair (in the pilot) or the wig from the Baroness and Fausta episodes.

As for the two years on CBS…I dislike all the changes.

ETA: I did like the third season theme song.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Retired

The first season is solid. She doesn't fly but neither did Wonder Woman in the 1940s comics--can you imagine how much flying would have added to the budget, the show never would have got off the ground. T.V. shows didn't have million dollar per episode budgets like nowadays. I think even the cost of the show at that time was too much for ABC and probably a big reason why CBS changed the time period.

The second season has ongoing changes. Once Diana Prince starts not wearing glasses when she's on assignment, it lets her be the beautiful woman she is. Those glasses are awful--worse than the ones in the first season--but those kind of glasses were in fashion back then (sigh). Lyle Wagoner is given less to do, unfortunately. And there's not much of other supporting characters--no Etta. It can get rather boring, but not as bad as I remembered as I'm rewatching it.

Sometimes there are bits that are surprising. For instance, "The Pied Piper" features the song "Love Conquers All" written by Paul Williams and Charles Fox--unfortunately, we don't get to hear the whole song. And it's hard to believe that a young person like Eve Plumb would be into Martin Mull's kind of music.

I haven't got around to rewatching the third season yet. It will probably be like the second season, but maybe it has some surprises, too.