Hawkman
    Green Lantern=Hal
    Firestorm=Jason
    Ultraa
    Bronze Tiger
    Cpt Atom
    Muhammad X

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Start with like a dozen or so heroes. See it grow from there. Opening roster: Kimiyo Hoshi, Wally West, Hal Jordan, Zatanna, Captain Marvel, Mister Terrific, Nightshade, B'wana Beast, Firestorm, Brainwave, Frost, and Jackson Hyde
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Hal Jordan
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Definitely not interested in trying to recapture the Big 7 energy, which I find so boring and played out at this point. I'd shake it up with some characters from various incarnations of the League and some new blood as well.

Black Canary
    Green Arrow (Ollie)
    Vixen
    Metamorpho
    Flash (Wally)
    Donna Troy
    Booster Gold
    Firestorm (Ronnie/Jason)
    Tasmanian Devil
    Bronze Tiger
    Nightshade
    Bumblebee
    Captain Comet
    Celsius

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Definitely not interested in trying to recapture the Big 7 energy, which I find so boring and played out at this point. I'd shake it up with some characters from various incarnations of the League and some new blood as well.

Black Canary
    Green Arrow (Ollie)
    Vixen
    Metamorpho
    Flash (Wally)
    Donna Troy
    Booster Gold
    Firestorm (Ronnie/Jason)
    Tasmanian Devil
    Bronze Tiger
    Nightshade
    Bumblebee
    Captain Comet
    Celsius
    Yeah, the problem of the just having the Big 7 on the team in publishing, is they don’t allow anything meaningful happen between the characters, because of their other books.

Extraordinary Member

Either the Big 7 or Unlimited. I don't think there's any other really viable way to go. With the exception of the bwa ha ha years, any league without the Big 3 is really just the League in name only. And I really don't understand why including characters who already have their own books is a problem. Just give the slightest of nods to whatever is going on in their books (like Morrison did when Supes turned electric or when Hippolyta became WW) and concentrate on the big bombastic kind of adventures a team with that name is known for and interactions between the characters themselves. Can't have two characters romance one another because their romancing other people in other books? So what. I personally don't think those are the type of stories that should be featured in a JL book, anyway.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Either the Big 7 or Unlimited. I don't think there's any other really viable way to go. With the exception of the bwa ha ha years, any league without the Big 3 is really just the League in name only. And I really don't understand why including characters who already have their own books is a problem. Just give the slightest of nods to whatever is going on in their books (like Morrison did when Supes turned electric or when Hippolyta became WW) and concentrate on the big bombastic kind of adventures a team with that name is known for and interactions between the characters themselves. Can't have two characters romance one another because their romancing other people in other books? So what. I personally don't think those are the type of stories that should be featured in a JL book, anyway.
    Big dumb action gets stale, and since that is all DC has done with the JLA for the last 15 years it is beyond stale at this point. What makes team books really good is seeing the members interact with each other. It is why books like the Teen Titans, X-Men, Avengers, and the Legion have always been better reads than the JLA. You don't get good character interaction in a big dumb blockbuster book. When most of the characters have their own books the writer is not only working with one hand tied behind their back they are also at the whims of those other writers want to do. It is ok when a couple of them have books of their own because they can write around it

1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Nubia
    4. Vixen
    5. Martian Manhunter
    6. Booster Gold
    7. Fire
    8. Ice
    9. Mister Terrific
    10. Green Arrow (Ollie)
    11. Black Canary
    12. Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    13. Zatanna
    14. The Ray

I dunno. My favoritest Leagues were with non-Big 7. I liked iterations each member of the Trinity led. I especially loved JLE, JL, JLoA and JLI.

I liked the character bits and the characters. I was very salty when Morrison came along and generated the false narrative that prior iterations were not competent or getting things done. I think a good scribe like PAD, Waid, Busiek or Ellis paired with marquee art (that's what needs to A-list: writer and art team) the roster is up in the air to me. DC has no shortage of awesome characters collecting dust

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Big dumb action gets stale, and since that is all DC has done with the JLA for the last 15 years it is beyond stale at this point. What makes team books really good is seeing the members interact with each other. It is why books like the Teen Titans, X-Men, Avengers, and the Legion have always been better reads than the JLA. You don't get good character interaction in a big dumb blockbuster book. When most of the characters have their own books the writer is not only working with one hand tied behind their back they are also at the whims of those other writers want to do. It is ok when a couple of them have books of their own because they can write around it
    I think you can get big action while also getting good character interaction at the same time. Morrison did it and it was great. Avengers can apparently do it and at any given time at least half the team have their own books. Pretty much the only thing you can't do with members who have their own books is romances with characters that aren't featured in their individual books, kill or dismember and members, or radically change their appearances or abilities. You can have great character interaction between members who have their own books. It just has to be confined within said book. And that's perfectly okay. Wally and Kyle bickering back and forth back in the day was great and didn't affect either of their individual books whatsoever. And the best part is that it didn't need to.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I don't know how this could be done but my fantasy is a return to the Satellite lineup that was somehow not entirely comprised of white people and one green Martian. That, to me, was the real JL/A because it was the only JL/A for the first 20+ years. So I want them back or at least I want their historical membership back; simultaneously I do not want an all-white JL.

But can Elongated Man get some love at least? Every character DC has ever created has been brought back and Ralph has still been relegated to once-a-year (at best) cameos. Plastic Man has entirely replaced him and that is so disappointing. Regardless of their common power-sets, they are two very different characters and, to me, Ralph is the far superior one.

Apart from bringing some racial diversity into the mix, the inclusion of Ralph Dibny was the only truly good thing about CW Flash series. Well, that and the fact that they let my sister play Plastique (true story).

McDuffie 2006 Justice League roster is quite robust even though heavily interrupted with editorial and character own events in the other books.

I mean You have:

Calm headed altough sometimes ill tempered Vixen
    Snazzy pizzaz Zatanna
    Calm collected John Stewart
    Fiery hot-headed Kimiyo
    Young high spirited Firestorm

They are very diverse on power, characterizations, and from their body characteristics. You can add Elongated Man and one from the holy Trinity to shore up the numbers to holy 7 number

Kimiyo dynamic with Zatanna and Vixen is quite enjoyable to read, they could bounce well with each other

That was a cool line-up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    McDuffie 2006 Justice League roster is quite robust even though heavily interrupted with editorial and character own events in the other books.

I mean You have:

Snazzy pizzaz Zatanna
    Fiery hot-headed Kimiyo

They are very diverse on power, characterizations, and from their body characteristics. You can add Elongated Man and one from the holy Trinity to shore up the numbers to holy 7 number

Kimiyo dynamic with Zatanna and Vixen is quite enjoyable to read, they could bounce well with each other
    That was one of the ocassions when you say: " If only..."
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post

I mean You have:

Snazzy pizzaz Zatanna
    Fiery hot-headed Kimiyo

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That was one of the ocassions when you say: " If only..."
    Yeah, that was the line-up I mention in my previous post.

The Robinson League was one that had a lot of trouble with editorial interference. At first, he got free reign with an alternate book, where he could introduce some new members (Congorilla, Starman, Batwoman, Shazam, etc...), then he was parachuted into the main book. Had I been in Robinson's shoes, I wouldn't have brought in new members, I'd have worked with the ones I had, plus a couple more.

Circa Justice League of America #31
    Options for new team.

• Black Canary – Dinah Lance. Team leader. A veteran and experienced super-hero, Dinah resented quite a bit the meddling of the “Big Three” in her leadership as well as Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen’s attempt at forming their own League, and is quite satisfied to have more free-reign, even with a smaller and less battletested team. Martial arts expert with a steel-shattering sonic scream.
    • Green Lantern – John Stewart. 2nd in Command. His military experience comes in quite handy in helping put this neotype team into shape. A loyal and trustworthy teammate, John Stewart wields one of the most powerful weapons in the universe, controlled by his sharp mind of an architect.
    • Zatanna – Zatanna Zatara. Mistress of Magic. Power to be reckoned with. She failed the League once, she won’t fail again.
    • Vixen – Mari McCabe. Animal powers. An important player in a team with less physical power than usual.
    • Firestorm – Jason Rusch/Gehenna Hewitt. The Nuclear Man. The rookie in the major leagues. Atomic manipulation. One of the World’s most powerful metas. This time around, Black Canary is with Firestorm and other veteran Leaguers in the Hall of Justice, and Dinah manages to keep Jason and Gen alive long enough for the rest of the team to join them. As such, this version of Firestorm survives the Blackest Night, and it’s a Ronnie Raymond fused with Martin Stein who is brought back by the White Lantern.
    • Dr. Light – Dr. Kimiyo Hosi. Scientific genius, and mistress of light. With her ability to generate and manipulate light waves, Kimiyo is extremely powerful, and, as a world-renown physicist, the scientific mind of the team. Not the easiest person to work with, though.
    • Plastic Man – Eel O’Brian. Malleable ex-con. Eel brings a lot of versatility and humor to the team with his amazing shape-shifting abilities. With the help of Henry Irons and Dr. Light, manages to overcome a bit more easily the effects of Prometheus’ weapons on his malleable form, and is soon fit for duty again.
    • Red Tornado – John Smith. Android body housing a storm elemental. After having his body overhauled by Dr. John Henry Irons, alongside Dr. Will Magus and Dr. Niles Caulder, with newer technologies and tougher materials (Promethium, omnium steel, etc…), Tornado becomes the muscle of the new team. His endurance and resistance to physical damage greatly enhanced, Reddy also enjoys a much greater physical strength, and in conjunction with his ability of generating high speed winds, it can be even more devastating, giving him the “tornado punch” technique. His own elemental powers now strengthen and empower his body instead of deteriorating it, and that is topped with a state-of-the-art nanobotic self-repair system. Also possesses enhanced senses and a powerful cybernetic brain, vastly effective in pinpointing where the “tornado punch” can be most effective.
    • The Guardian – Jim Harper, or, more precisely, the clone of the World War II Homefront hero, is the embodiment of the pinnacle of human perfection armed with an indestructible shield. For the last few years, the Guardian has been the security chief of Project Cadmus, and he was satisfied with that. However, recruited to the League by Dr. Light, the Guardian discovers that he was missing out on not having a life outside of the project. At the same time representing new blood and the perspective of an outsider, Jim more often than not sees things differently than the League’s current leaders, Black Canary and Green Lantern, and is having a hard time in being a good team-player.

A tight unit, which, though at first sight a bit shy on muscle power (Tornado with his revamped android body and Vixen’s channeling of animals’ powers being the greatest contributors in this department), is extremely heavy in the versatility and firepower departments. However, former members, such as Steel, Zauriel, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Faith and others, will come and go as necessary.
    IMHO, it had tons of potential.

Peace