Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Krypton

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Default New Krypton

So what's the general consensus among the fandom for the New Krypton saga from pre-Flashpoint?

I actually started following the DC universe in general around the time OYL hit, so I read the early parts of the set up before losing interest and moving on to other books. I actually still own "Up, Up and Away", some of the Busiek trades and Johns' first arc introducing Chris Kent. Judging by how I don't see much chatter about it around here, I can't imagine it's an all time classic, but is it still pretty good or bad/so-so?

I bought some very cheap used copies of Rucka's "Nightwing and Flamebird" trades, but not sure if the rest of it is worth tracking down.

the basic idea was really neat.... ending it by blowing it up with Reactron was massive WTF-ness.

Also that side story with General Lane, Azrael and Nadira Va-Dim, and Car-Vex... ho-lee---- shi----- that's the sort of stuff that makes you wanna protect the supervillains from other super-villains.... oh and incinerate General Lane until his ashes are vaporized. It ain't often someone writes a book where a Kryptonian murders a small army with her bare hands... and I CHEER for her. Lane was THAT kind of cold-blooded b----.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So what's the general consensus among the fandom for the New Krypton saga from pre-Flashpoint?

I actually started following the DC universe in general around the time OYL hit, so I read the early parts of the set up before losing interest and moving on to other books. I actually still own "Up, Up and Away", some of the Busiek trades and Johns' first arc introducing Chris Kent. Judging by how I don't see much chatter about it around here, I can't imagine it's an all time classic, but is it still pretty good or bad/so-so?

I bought some very cheap used copies of Rucka's "Nightwing and Flamebird" trades, but not sure if the rest of it is worth tracking down.
    I think I remember most of its reception being positive, but restrained, up until the reset button was pushed and they ended everything in a super short climax to make way for the awful Grounded.

A lot of people seemed interested in the change-up from the usual status quo and the general attempt to make a stable of books all work well together… but I think some people were still a little leery of just how hard the storyline was trying to make Johns’ retcons intrinsic to it, and how some elements just came off as a bit too “This is AUTOMATICALLY BETTER because it’s like the Silver Age, right?” instead fo just demonstrating why they were supposed to be improvements.

It was generally okay, though, I think…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I remember really enjoying that period of Superman comics in the start. It felt like something different to me (admittedly, I was still new to Superman), but they completely botched the concept after a while and the original creators didn’t even finish the story if I remember things right.
    Weirdly enough, the new status quo isn’t so different from that era, but Jon’s handling aside, it’s much better written.

I liked the culture of Krypton and it's guilds. It was a great way to blend the different visual designs of past eras. I would have preferred Flamebird and Nightwing to have been Linda and Conner. Also rather than destroy New Krypton, it should have been brought to the 31st century for the Legion to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    I liked the culture of Krypton and it's guilds. It was a great way to blend the different visual designs of past eras. I would have preferred Flamebird and Nightwing to have been Linda and Conner. Also rather than destroy New Krypton, it should have been brought to the 31st century for the Legion to deal with.
    Yeah, I totally get why the writers wanted to write it out of the story.... but BLOWING IT UP!?!?!?!?

Hmm also.. Flamebird as a new character kinda worked... especially with WHO the new character was. But... Lor-Zod as Nightwing was a lol-wut?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Thanks for the opinions!

Spectacular Member

The best thing about new krypton is that it would have allowed Clark to have more political space adventures

Started off really strong, ending was pretty unsatisfactory. Still worth reading the Clark (World of New Krypton) and Kara (Gates Supergirl run) portions, but I wouldn’t bother with anything else. Great Zod content (until the ending that is).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

Such great potential. Sterling gates really nailed Kara’s internal conflicts. I wish it would have led to civil war type story with the earthling meta humans vs kryptonians that really played on their histories and relationships.

Spectacular Member

Wasted potential.

It was the biggest effort to expand Superman mythos since the Silver Age.
    And when it didn't pan out, DC basically rebooted the whole Superman line with New52.

Honestly could use a Hickman House of X treatment where Superman tries to bring back all the Kryptonians.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by guanlishabi View Post
    Wasted potential.

It was the biggest effort to expand Superman mythos since the Silver Age.
    And when it didn't pan out, DC basically rebooted the whole Superman line with New52.

Honestly could use a Hickman House of X treatment where Superman tries to bring back all the Kryptonians.
    I think that Zod would benefit more from that development if he is the one bringing back kryptonians

Astonishing Member

Aaaah, the New Krypton era - so many memories. The last time I have read superhero floppies on a regular basis.
    Also: the last time - as far as I remember - they tried to give Superman a more or less organic reboot (I wouldn't count New52 Supes, since that specific version of the character has basically disappeared from continuity). A lot of Silver Age nostalgia (no surprise here, it was a trend which Jeph Loeb had already started some years before) and some inexplicable, at least to me - Donner nostalgia almost 30 years after Reeve's first movie (movie synergy at work, with Superman Returns being released in the same year of Last Son? Yeah, probably).

Some good ideas, mostly from the early part of the run (Johns and Busiek), albeit very confusing at times. Delays beyond believable. When the saga starts, the original architects have gone away, replaced by Robinson and Rucka, and the momentum is gone. Desperate - and sometimes successful - attempts to keep the worldbuilding intact, with one-shots about the Guardian and Jimmy Olsen, but in the final part of the saga no one - including the writers - trusts the storyline anymore. Awful ending, but still better than JMS' Grounded.

Fun fact - post-Rebirth Superman is basically a mix of postCrisis Superman and Johns' and Busiek's phase of the "New Krypton" run, with Chris Kent as a prototype for Jon Kent.
    Last edited by Myskin; 11-27-2022 at 01:10 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

A lot of potential than it was derailed by editorial interference. If the original creators had stayed and had their original ideas put in practice the ending could had been far better and not the lackuster it was.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Other positive points were how they were to link all the supertitles together, no Only SUperman titles but the SUperboy stories and Supergirl series.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin