Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Krypton

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It was solid, especially at the beginning. But I think it wound up being one of those things where the writers got lost in building the supporting cast and they forgot it was a Superman story. Taking him out of his main books wound up killing the sales of those titles which derailed any momentum of the story. The War of the Supermen was supposed to he DC's big event that summer but they wound up wrapping everything up in a month because sales were so bad.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 11-27-2022 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So what's the general consensus among the fandom for the New Krypton saga from pre-Flashpoint?

I actually started following the DC universe in general around the time OYL hit, so I read the early parts of the set up before losing interest and moving on to other books. I actually still own "Up, Up and Away", some of the Busiek trades and Johns' first arc introducing Chris Kent. Judging by how I don't see much chatter about it around here, I can't imagine it's an all time classic, but is it still pretty good or bad/so-so?

I bought some very cheap used copies of Rucka's "Nightwing and Flamebird" trades, but not sure if the rest of it is worth tracking down.
    Thanks to the fine men and women of this very board I was able to learn about and pick up this absolutely amazing event set. This was really freaking exciting and bold and fearless. The architects behind it were poised to take Supes somewhere he hadn't been before opening tons of lore building AND futuresmithing.

But TPTB @ DC just couldn't get out of the way forcing an abrupt early unsatisfactory and unworthy ending in the name of stunts geared toward pet creators and short term sales, a pattern they just kept repeating until they really screwed up everything with Flashturd and New 50-don't.

This was Superman's Max Lord event in that representations and assurances were made on for The Idiot to renege and waste the potential replacing it with something many orders of magnitude inferior.