Default Gifts and Powers of the Gods

So, like we know what Diana's base powers and abilities (and if it were me, Nubia also) are, but I'm curious if people think she has too many or want to add something or you know change it up a bit. I'm trying to be open here, but I really don't want ANOTHER 'no flying' debate.

Demeter - godly strength and virtual invulnerability
    Hermes - godly speed, swiftness, reflexes and flight
    Artemis - godly senses, unity with all nature, animal communication
    Athena - divine wisdom/intelligence, omnilingual, 'grey eyes'
    Aphrodite - stunning beauty, 'kind heart'
    Hestia - 'sisterhood with fire'

Me personally, I'd removed anything about her personality. Ex: I don't want Diana born with compassion and a loving heart from Aphro, I'd want her to learn it from her people and mother. I think everyone here is doing some serious heavy lifting EXCEPT for Hestia and Aphro. Like come on girls, let's do some more... I'd also add Gaia to the mix, I liked that from LOWW, she could be who gave Diana life and possibly a healing factor? I'm mixed on bringing someone like Hecate but, I think something could be really cool with her. Adding magic to Diana's kit could be fun, she'd be like a battle mage or something. I also want Hera; I do find it interesting that it's Hera's breast milk that gave Heracles his strength and nothing is like that in the Amazon lore...

edit: {ADDITIONAL QUESTION} What's the thoughts on a 'God-Mode' or 'Witch-Mode'? Does Diana need an amped state?
    Last edited by Perseus; 11-25-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I get what you're saying with not wanting her personality to be powers based but wouldn't "wisdom from Athena" also count as that?

Hestia's definitely a tough one, comes with not really being a character present in Greek myth stories, lol. I think most have interpreted "sisterhood with fire" as she's immune to fire pretty much.

I like Hermes but I would personally swap him out with Hera. Diana's speed/flight would also come from Artemis and Hera is the one who actually gives Diana life.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

When it's written down, I think she has to much but some of these never really get THAT much use that I basically forget about them.

I don't mind it but I've never been big on Diana communicating with animals.

I would probably pull a Sleeping Beauty and add in Hecate to give her one with magic but with a twist, add some darkness into her life and something she is a bit more reluctant to outright try to use/conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I get what you're saying with not wanting her personality to be powers based but wouldn't "wisdom from Athena" also count as that?

Hestia's definitely a tough one, comes with not really being a character present in Greek myth stories, lol. I think most have interpreted "sisterhood with fire" as she's immune to fire pretty much.

I like Hermes but I would personally swap him out with Hera. Diana's speed/flight would also come from Artemis and Hera is the one who actually gives Diana life.
    I view it more or less as like Athena granting her knowledge of somethings greater than what's on earth. I'd describe it as Diana solving puzzles or understanding languages really well, way faster than normal. Think of it like a natural affinity for knowledge and wisdom, like how SHAZAM has Soloman's wisdom, but Diana still needs to learn via Themyscira teachings. I like to think that Hippolyta would want Diana to spend an equal amount of time in the library as she does in the training yard.

I would expand on just fire immunity to all elemental immunity maybe. She doesn't get too cold either. Hestia is the goddess of home and hearth, something to do with keeping her protected from the elements, like a home would. I could see that maybe.

Interesting, I'd want to keep Hermes personally. I like having a male god because I don't like the implications of ONLY women should give Diana powers. Plus, of all of them, Hermes is pretty cool. Like, no to Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Apollo, and obviously Ares, but I think Dionysus, Hermes, and Hephestus would be cool for Diana to interact with and get help from. Dio and Hephestus wouldn't give Diana powers but still.

Sidenote: I recently watched Wakanda Forever and really loved how they implemented flight on Namor... he's like a hummingbird but on steroids. I'd love for Diana to move like that, really bring out her swiftness rather than just being a flying brick. Which like she can still blitz and stuff, but mostly moves very hummingbird like.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    When it's written down, I think she has to much but some of these never really get THAT much use that I basically forget about them.

I would probably pull a Sleeping Beauty and add in Hecate to give her one with magic but with a twist, add some darkness into her life and something she is a bit more reluctant to outright try to use/conquer.
    Yeah, agreed that's partly why I made this thread. Just lay them out and see what everyone thinks.

Personally keep animal communication, just to see Diana talk to dragons or something.

I was thinking something similar as well. It's a classic story arch that we don't see with her a lot.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I think Diana should keep the animal communication. She can use animals whether it's mammals, reptiles, or insects as spys or distractions.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like the classic gifts, but I agree that personality traits like wisdom and a loving heart shouldn't be "programmed" into her by Aphrodite and Athena. Maybe their role is the classic one where Athena guides Hippolyta's hands in sculpting the clay, and Aphrodite grants her life? That's already a pretty big deal, and the rest of the patrons can provide her powers.

It'd be neat to have Hecate give a gift, now that we have a version that is an Amazon patron. I do like the God/Witch mode being hers, it's a double edged sword gift befitting of the darkest goddess. She removes the bracelets and activates the berserker witch mode, which increases her power but lessens her control. Better than it coming from Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like the classic gifts, but I agree that personality traits like wisdom and a loving heart shouldn't be "programmed" into her by Aphrodite and Athena. Maybe their role is the classic one where Athena guides Hippolyta's hands in sculpting the clay, and Aphrodite grants her life? That's already a pretty big deal, and the rest of the patrons can provide her powers.

It'd be neat to have Hecate give a gift, now that we have a version that is an Amazon patron. I do like the God/Witch mode being hers, it's a double edged sword gift befitting of the darkest goddess. She removes the bracelets and activates the berserker witch mode, which increases her power but lessens her control. Better than it coming from Zeus.
    That's actually not a bad amalgamation of the two ideas (Witch Mode from JLD and having a berserker/frenzied state from removing the bracelets).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Sisterhood with fire.... as to explain the powers of the Lasso of Hestia..... nothing to do with being fire retardant

Screenshot_20221126-191927.jpg