Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's not really a traditional Superhero (at least post-Jewel) so it doesn't behoove her to have a Rogues Gallery beyond whatever she faces case-to-case.

Yeah, but neither is Punisher.

Anyway, I like Jessica. The fact that she doesn't get as heavily involved in superhero work makes her a more realistic addition to the Marvel Universe. It's not realistic that every single person who ends up superpowered as a matter of circumstance will take to superhero work. She doesn't need to be killed off any more than Mary Jane does for not being action-y enough. That's not the point of her. The first season of her Netflix show was great.
    Last edited by davetvs; 11-27-2022 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Yeah, but neither is Punisher.

Anyway, I like Jessica. The fact that she doesn't get as heavily involved in superhero work makes her a more realistic addition to the Marvel Universe. It's not realistic that every single person who ends up superpowered as a matter of circumstance will take to superhero work. She doesn't need to be killed off any more than Mary Jane does for not being action-y enough. That's not the point of her. The first season of her Netflix show was great.
    That's the most hilarious stuff every time. Some character has finished their arc or they fit no longer into the bigger narrative? Kill them. Because apparently that is the big brain solution despite that not even making a difference. It doesn't matter if they are dead or if they rode into the sunset and lived their life happily after. In both case you won't be seeing them anymore.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Um...she actually does have her fans. You're looking at one of them right here. Kill her off? Seriously? Is she hampering something? All that aside, I actually like the idea of someone she busted cheating getting super powers and coming back for revenge. It fits with her MO. I don't think she necessarily needs an ongoing. But it would be nice if when they do give her a mini that she gets to go up against someone besides the Purple Man for a change.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Jessica's a private detective, not a superhero - Luke's tried to get her to don a super costume again (suggested the codename Power Woman too, which would match his codename Power Man), but she chooses not to. She doesn't need a rogues gallery, as logically, if she discovers someone is guilty of a crime, wouldn't she hand them over to the cops, who'd put the crook in jail?
    A case involves some criminal committing crimes and Jessica as a PI would have track down said criminal. I think you could put her in an interesting situation where she goes against someone else besides Purple Man. Jessica is a mother, so having her solve a case where children are going missing would be interesting. The Marvel version of Scarecrow has done nothing for the past decade, but he was once was a scary serial killer who wasn't afraid to target kids, so having Jessica having to deal with him would interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    A case involves some criminal committing crimes and Jessica as a PI would have track down said criminal. I think you could put her in an interesting situation where she goes against someone else besides Purple Man. Jessica is a mother, so having her solve a case where children are going missing would be interesting. The Marvel version of Scarecrow has done nothing for the past decade, but he was once was a scary serial killer who wasn't afraid to target kids, so having Jessica having to deal with him would interesting.
    Hmm I now have this image in my head of Mary MacPherran and Jessica sitting down in a bar and having a chat about a case.... and Mary actually being helpful.

Extraordinary Member

A lot of PI cases are not as 'sexy' as TV and such lead us to believe. Marital infidelity, investigations for insurance companies, background checks, identity theft, working for defense attorneys. Yes criminal stuff can be found in there...but it is not all catching murderers and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    A lot of PI cases are not as 'sexy' as TV and such lead us to believe. Marital infidelity, investigations for insurance companies, background checks, identity theft, working for defense attorneys. Yes criminal stuff can be found in there...but it is not all catching murderers and the like.
    Yep, and just as they are not "sexy", they are much more dangerous too!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Um...she actually does have her fans. You're looking at one of them right here. Kill her off? Seriously? Is she hampering something? All that aside, I actually like the idea of someone she busted cheating getting super powers and coming back for revenge. It fits with her MO. I don't think she necessarily needs an ongoing. But it would be nice if when they do give her a mini that she gets to go up against someone besides the Purple Man for a change.
    I'm not insulting the character. I'm just saying that some characters have one or a limited number of stories in them Watchmen has just one story. This is just my opinion but I think The Squadron Supreme stories should have stopped after that Mark Gruenwald series. Jessica Jones only had one story to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Davetvs
    Yeah, but neither is Punisher. Anyway, I like Jessica. The fact that she doesn't get as heavily involved in superhero work makes her a more realistic addition to the Marvel Universe. It's not realistic that every single person who ends up superpowered as a matter of circumstance will take to superhero work. She doesn't need to be killed off any more than Mary Jane does for not being action-y enough. That's not the point of her. The first season of her Netflix show was great
    You can't compare link MJ and Jessica Drew, one is simply a love interest and another is a protagonist. The fact that you did link them kind of proves my point about the character no longer being needed beyond her one story, as does the fact that you only liked the first season of her show that was based on.....the only story that ever mattered that was told with the character.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-27-2022 at 12:50 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

No character is simply a this or a that, it really just depends on whether or not Marvel seems fit to use them in whichever capacity at the time. Mary-Jane is a supporting Spider-Man universe character whose chief role in his mythos is as a love interest. Mary-Jane is also a character who can and does headline her own stories, series, and appears elsewhere in the wider Marvel Universe at times. Substitute "Spider-Man" with "Luke Cage and/or The Avengers and/or The Defenders" and what's the difference between MJ and Jessica Jones?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm I now have this image in my head of Mary MacPherran and Jessica sitting down in a bar and having a chat about a case.... and Mary actually being helpful.
    Exactly, there are a million things you could do with Jessica if you try hard enough. Purple Man is played out and the original Alias series had cases besides the Purple Man case.

I feel like a lot of supervillains would not like Scarecrow, so Titania is willing to help Jessica. Jessica is willing to talk to supervillains would interesting.

Another interesting idea is to have Jessica involved in Maltese Falcon-type story, with Jessica hired to retrieve an item that a lot of supervillains want as well for some reason. Really killing off Jessica would be a waste. There are a ton of interesting B-list villains doing nothing that could work in a Jessica Jones story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And in the real world, Spidey would spend several nights not finding any crime at all to foil and going home, clearly, that doesn't make it into the comics. There are a ton of 1940s crime noir stories where a PI gets involved with a seemingly boring case and it becomes something with a higher stakes over time.

Jessica fighting Scarecrow makes sense because Jessica is a parent and would hate someone like Scarecrow far more than some husband who cheats on his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm not insulting the character. I'm just saying that some characters have one or a limited number of stories in them Watchmen has just one story. This is just my opinion but I think The Squadron Supreme stories should have stopped after that Mark Gruenwald series. Jessica Jones only had one story to tell.

You can't compare link MJ and Jessica Drew, one is simply a love interest and another is a protagonist. The fact that you did link them kind of proves my point about the character no longer being needed beyond her one story, as does the fact that you only liked the first season of her show that was based on.....the only story that ever mattered that was told with the character.
    Except there are crime noir stories where a PI gets involved in a seemingly boring case which turns into something with higher stakes over time. Again there were 4 arcs in the original Alias run. I listened to a podcast where Jessica was involved with a case where Selene was kidnapping college students and draining them of their life, now the podcast was in its own continuity and Selene is likely too tied to the X-Men to be available to fight Jessica, but you can do a similar story with a different villain.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-27-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Exactly, there are a million things you could do with Jessica if you try hard enough. Purple Man is played out and the original Alias series had cases besides the Purple Man case.

I feel like a lot of supervillains would not like Scarecrow, so Titania is willing to help Jessica. Jessica is willing to talk to supervillains would interesting.

Another interesting idea is to have Jessica involved in Maltese Falcon-type story, with Jessica hired to retrieve an item that a lot of supervillains want as well for some reason. Really killing off Jessica would be a waste. There are a ton of interesting B-list villains doing nothing that could work in a Jessica Jones story.
    Well this sort of writing requires the writer to pay attention to WHO the characters are as people. There's people Mary wouldn't even THINK about betraying(Carl Creel is #1).. and some she feels no loyalty to at all and has no reason to want to help(Nathaniel Essex for example). Like your Scarecrow example... why would Titania give a --- about him? That in and of itself could be a nice way to start a story.
    Except there are crime noir stories where a PI gets involved in a seemingly boring case which turns into something with higher stakes over time. Again there were 4 arcs in the original Alias run. I listened to a podcast where Jessica was involved with a case where Selene was kidnapping college students and draining them of their life, now the podcast was in its own continuity and Selene is likely too tied to the X-Men to be available to fight Jessica, but you can do a similar story with a different villain.
    Well... Selene has fought guys like Captain America... so... who knows? Seems like a... difficult opponent for Jessica Jones to fight since Jess can't really hurt her, and Selene could just life-drain Jessica if she wanted to kill her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There's a key flaw in this line of discussion..... you're talking about Spider-Woman.

Astonishing Member

Well this sort of writing requires the writer to pay attention to WHO the characters are as people. There's people Mary wouldn't even THINK about betraying(Carl Creel is #1).. and some she feels no loyalty to at all and has no reason to want to help(Nathaniel Essex for example). Like your Scarecrow example... why would Titania give a --- about him? That in and of itself could be a nice way to start a story.
    Well... Selene has fought guys like Captain America... so... who knows? Seems like a... difficult opponent for Jessica Jones to fight since Jess can't really hurt her, and Selene could just life-drain Jessica if she wanted to kill her.
    There's a key flaw in this line of discussion..... you're talking about Spider-Woman.
    The podcast had Selene run a group for disaffected young people under a different name and could lure Jessica into traps because she didn't know who she was dealing and Selene having innocent people to use as human shields.

Titania would actively dislike Scarecrow not just be indifferent towards him. Titania robs banks and gets into fights with She-Hulk, Scarecrow murdered a baby and tried to make a house out of people. I think the bank robbing villains would dislike the serial killer and rapist villains. Titania would likely help Jessica find missing children, but not help her with the Maltese Falcon type case.

I'd say it's pretty insulting to say kill a character just because you think she's hit a dead end.
    They could just simply not use her if that was the case.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Indeed! Jessica Drew was on my mind. Probably because Jessica Jones was originally meant to be the continuing adventures of Jessica Drew. Bendis was turned down for use of the character thus Jessica Drew became Jessica Jones.

Which is another thing that Jessica has in common with The Watchman besides only having one story to tell. The Watchman were supposed to be another group of characters as well, Charlton characters.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

And yet, ironically enough, the character has continued to appear in stories despite your opinion! Imagine that.