So, I was reading through my Spider-Verse omnibus last night for the umpteenth time and as I was going through the story, especially the Mayday-focused parts of the story in the first half I realized that after Daemos attacked Earth-982, it seemed like Dan Slott had not only killed Peter, Mary Jane and Mayday's boyfriend Wes off for good but that it was going to stay that way when the dust settled. Everything about that whole scene made it look like that was the end for them and from there we now had a temporally-displaced Mayday and Benjy Parker now residing on Earth-13 with mirror images of her father along with all these other Spider-Men and Women from various parallel universes. Earth-13's Captain Universe has not only been making sure to tend to her and especially her brothers needs but also stick close to them whenever he's not holding "war councils" with the other Spider-Men and Women. Now...we all know that it was eventually revealed that Mary Jane and Wes had survived Daemos' attack which makes sense as they aren't his "prey" also Earth-13's Captain Universe made a crucial error in not remaining out of Solus' reach during their battle, leading to his death.

But What If...Earth-13's Captain Universe had lived and Earth-982's Mary Jane died? We now have two orphans who will be taken into protective custody should they return to their Earth, sure...there is the possibility that perhaps someone like her 'Uncle' Phil Urich being willing to look after them...maybe the version of Uncle Ben who lives with them now would stick with them but what if after everything was said and done Earth-13's Peter Parker offered to take them all in? Do you think Mayday would have accepted the offer and try to adjust to life on Earth-13 or do you think she would have taken Benjy back with her to Earth-982 and take her chances there? I know, it's a weird train of thought, but out of all the Peter Parkers she encountered Earth-13's felt like he was the only one who really made sure to put her and Benjy's needs above his own prior to his death, he was very Superman-esque but with two huge glaring flaws (his overconfidence in his abilities and his fatal underestimation of the threat posed by Solus in close-quarters combat) which is what I think Slott was going for.

The new dynamic of this end result would be that you have Mayday and Benjy living with a version of their father whose life took a very different turn, probably also the version of Uncle Ben from that Earth Doc Ock nuked, I don't know whether Earth-13's Mary Jane would be in the picture, we know literally nothing about her other than that she and Peter would still have been newlyweds around the time The Enigma Force decided to stick with Peter. Even if they aren't together, I don't see her not wanting to get involved with her children from a parallel universe because regardless of whether they came from another universe or not they are still her kids. Would it be a tense, uneasy and awkward relationship at first? Probably, but I mean...it's kind of like what Doctor Strange said in MoM: "I love you. I love you in every universe. It's not that I don't wanna care for someone or have someone care for me it's just...I get scared." Which I can see being the case for the Parkers until things become more routine. What do you guys think? I'm not saying I would have wanted to see this outcome actually happen in Spider-Verse, I was crushed when I thought both Peter and Mary Jane from the MC2 had died, but I thought this would be an interesting "thought exercise". Give us something a bit different to talk about.