Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Been gone a long time, what are the best X-Books since HOX/POX?

Hello everyone. I have been away from the boards and haven't been reading comics for quite some time. Life and stuff. I haven't read any X-Books since HOX/POX and was wondering what I missed, what series should I pick up that I missed and which series are the best right now? Spoilers are okay. Thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Welcome back to the X-books!

It depends on what type of books you like. Cyclops and Jean decided to reform the X-Men and they're based out of a cool Treehouse in NYC. The Quiet Council wasn't too keen on the idea but they mostly supported them. Every year there is a Hellfire Gala hosted by Emma and Krakoa, a large social event where the mutants vote on who will join the X-Men team. We're now in the middle of year 2 of X-Men and I personally find both years enjoyable. They're written by Gerry Duggan.

During the first Gala, most of the Omega mutants terraformed Mars to make it in habitable for the Arakkii, a large population of mutants linked to Apocalypse's past. We were introduced to them during the very big X of Swords crossover. Shortly after the terraforming of Planet Arakko, X-Men Red launched and it's IMO the best book out there. Storm is the Regent of the Sol system representing the planet, and she's on a council similar to the Quiet Council but made up of mostly Arakki.

Immortal X-Men focuses on the politics of the Quiet Council and each issue focuses on one member. If you're into the political intrigue stuff, you might want to pick it up. Also, Destiny is back and she's on the Quiet Council, and has played a big role in a lot of what's been happening on Krakoa.

If you like straightforward super-heroics, X-Men, the first run of Marauders, Excalibur/Knights of X.

And if you liked HoX/PoX, Hickman wrote the first run of X-Men before Duggan. He planted a lot of seeds in that run that have been picked up by other writers/books. There are many more books that I'm sure other posters will mention. Oh, and Hellions was great. It was book about rehabilitating villains. Much fun.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Way of X is worth a read. Hellion makes a cameo in the final page of issue 5. Same with New Mutants, since Hellion and his friends make a cameo in the first issue.

There was also a 4-issue Iceman comic on the Marvel Unlimited app, worth noting because Hellion appears in the background in one panel of the first issue. And speaking of the app, Hellion also appeared in one panel of X-Men Unlimited, during the Hellfire Gala arc, where he had a speaking line.

Speaking of the Hellfire Gala, the 2022 Gala released short comic strips depicting all of the losers reacting to their loss. Hellion appears in one panel of Surge & Bling!'s comic.

Those are the essentials. Everything else is optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Sabretooth and the Exiles is the best book I'm reading. It's the sequel to another mini titled "Sabretooth" that I'd also recommend.

Way of X and X-men Red are good but not for everyone.

Hellions is a good character study and proof you can give everyone a spotlight.

New Mutants was great under Vita Ayala.

Excalibur is decent but underwhelming.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-28-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Straight talk...

You're going to need to start with just how invested in the HOX/POX paradigm you actually were.

If you were seriously sold on it?

The reality of it is that, for whatever the actual reason was, Hickman's "Big Picture..." plan did not exactly play out like it was going to going into reworking the "Narrative..." aspect of the "X..." titles.

If you are going forward from HOX/POX way psyched?

Exactly how it all played out could wind up being something of a let down. Never mind when you get to "X Of Swords..." and what happens in it's wake.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Way of X
    Legion of X
    SWORD
    X-Men Red
    Duggans X-Men
    Deadpool

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sabretooth and the Exiles is the best book I'm reading.

Hellions is a good study and proof you can give everyone a spotlight.

Oh yes Sabretooth and the Exiles is great so far. You might want to pick up his first mini to see how things developed to where they are now.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Dawn of X (Year One)
    Hellions
    X-Men
    X of Swords

Reign of X (Year Two)
    Hellions
    Inferno
    Planet-Size X-Men
    S.W.O.R.D.
    X-Men

Destiny of X (Year Three)
    A.X.E.: Judgment Day
    Immortal X-Men
    X Deaths of Wolverine
    X-Men

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hellions
    SWORD
    X-Men Red
    X-Men
    Wolverine
    X-Force

The Giant Size books.
    "Cable was right!"

Sabretooth
    X-Men Red
    Vita Ayala/Rod Reis’ New Mutants
    X-Men
    X-Force

Incredible Member

Hellions
    Immoral X-Men
    X-Men Red
    S.W.O.R.D
    X of Swords
    Planet Size X-Men
    Empire: X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Welcome back to the X-books!

It depends on what type of books you like. Cyclops and Jean decided to reform the X-Men and they're based out of a cool Treehouse in NYC. The Quiet Council wasn't too keen on the idea but they mostly supported them. Every year there is a Hellfire Gala hosted by Emma and Krakoa, a large social event where the mutants vote on who will join the X-Men team. We're now in the middle of year 2 of X-Men and I personally find both years enjoyable. They're written by Gerry Duggan.

During the first Gala, most of the Omega mutants terraformed Mars to make it in habitable for the Arakkii, a large population of mutants linked to Apocalypse's past. We were introduced to them during the very big X of Swords crossover. Shortly after the terraforming of Planet Arakko, X-Men Red launched and it's IMO the best book out there. Storm is the Regent of the Sol system representing the planet, and she's on a council similar to the Quiet Council but made up of mostly Arakki.

Immortal X-Men focuses on the politics of the Quiet Council and each issue focuses on one member. If you're into the political intrigue stuff, you might want to pick it up. Also, Destiny is back and she's on the Quiet Council, and has played a big role in a lot of what's been happening on Krakoa.

If you like straightforward super-heroics, X-Men, the first run of Marauders, Excalibur/Knights of X.

And if you liked HoX/PoX, Hickman wrote the first run of X-Men before Duggan. He planted a lot of seeds in that run that have been picked up by other writers/books. There are many more books that I'm sure other posters will mention. Oh, and Hellions was great. It was book about rehabilitating villains. Much fun.
    Cyclops is my favorite X character, and I love Jean, Rogue, Kurt, Emma and Magneto too. I do like super-heroics, so I'll try X-Men. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Way of X is worth a read. Hellion makes a cameo in the final page of issue 5. Same with New Mutants, since Hellion and his friends make a cameo in the first issue.

There was also a 4-issue Iceman comic on the Marvel Unlimited app, worth noting because Hellion appears in the background in one panel of the first issue. And speaking of the app, Hellion also appeared in one panel of X-Men Unlimited, during the Hellfire Gala arc, where he had a speaking line.

Speaking of the Hellfire Gala, the 2022 Gala released short comic strips depicting all of the losers reacting to their loss. Hellion appears in one panel of Surge & Bling!'s comic.

Those are the essentials. Everything else is optional.
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sabretooth and the Exiles is the best book I'm reading. It's the sequel to another mini titled "Sabretooth" that I'd also recommend.

Hellions is a good character study and proof you can give everyone a spotlight.

Sounds like I need to check out Hellions

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Straight talk...

You're going to need to start with just how invested in the HOX/POX paradigm you actually were.

If you were seriously sold on it?

The reality of it is that, for whatever the actual reason was, Hickman's "Big Picture..." plan did not exactly play out like it was going to going into reworking the "Narrative..." aspect of the "X..." titles.

If you are going forward from HOX/POX way psyched?

Exactly how it all played out could wind up being something of a let down. Never mind when you get to "X Of Swords..." and what happens in it's wake.
    I loved HOX/POX. Thought it was brilliant. Thank you for the info. Appreciate it
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Dawn of X (Year One)
    Hellions
    X-Men
    X of Swords

Reign of X (Year Two)
    Hellions
    Inferno
    Planet-Size X-Men
    S.W.O.R.D.
    X-Men

Destiny of X (Year Three)
    A.X.E.: Judgment Day
    Immortal X-Men
    X Deaths of Wolverine
    X-Men
    So the titles are broken down in years? Also, I just looked into buying the trades and it looks like the trades are collecting a few issues of each title. Are they all that woven together that you have to read them like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oh yes Sabretooth and the Exiles is great so far. You might want to pick up his first mini to see how things developed to where they are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Way of X
    Legion of X
    SWORD
    X-Men Red
    Duggans X-Men
    Deadpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Sabretooth
    X-Men Red
    Vita Ayala/Rod Reis’ New Mutants
    X-Men
    X-Force
    Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Hellions
    Immoral X-Men
    X-Men Red
    S.W.O.R.D
    X of Swords
    Planet Size X-Men
    Empire: X-Men
    Looks like everyone loves Hellions. I'll definitely get that and X-Men and then go from there. Thanks everyone

Astonishing Member

I would definitely check out S.W.O.R.D. and its follow-up, X-Men Red. Ewing's worldbuilding of Arakko is great and the concepts he plays around with have really added a lot to the overall X-Men mythos.