Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I mean, I don't think its Orlando doubling down. This kind of thing comes down to editorial mandate - they'll retcon the retcon when they're good and ready (and yes I too believe its inevitable) but until that point, its not the kind of character change that's up to individual writer discretion. Pretty sure Marvel editors set the official party line Orlando had to work with for this series, in terms of the twins' precise relationship with Magneto, and he's just working with what he was given.

I'm going to pass, I think. Orlando always gives great interviews, but his execution is hit and miss for me.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Magneto himself acknowledged that Wanda was not his biological daughter but still loved her as much, in that heartfelt scene at the close of the Gala just before she was murdered.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by EldonMaguan View Post
    As much as I am a fan of Orlando’s deepcuts , his doubling-down on Wanda and Pietro not being Magneto’s biokids is most offensive to me tsk tsk tsk how is he going to explain in a year or two when they are inevitably restored to their OG genetic relationship ?! For comparison , DC tried to pretend that PowerGirl was NOT SuperMan’s Kryptonian cousin on his father’s side , but in the end , they just restored her OG status anyway . What’s going to be Orlando’s excuse when the same thing happens to Pietro and Wanda , which is ironically the exact same thing that happened to Lorna , when Morrison and Austen restored her OG relationship status to Magneto , as was intended by her creators Thomas and Adams , but retconned by Byrne ?!
    It's a place holder concept until the MCU plays its hand with Wanda. Most likely the concept is mandated at the editorial level until then. I certainly agree the retcon will come down in a few years.

In terms of this interview, it had a decent answer in terms of Lorna and Wanda. The big issue for Lorna that needs to be dealt with is her response to Magneto's death and the Wanda ongoing is not the place for it and this interview basically confirms for Wanda she will deal with his death in the issue before Lorna arrives. I do believe the x-books need to be the ones who tell that massive Lorna story which should be the biggest in two decades and no it doesn't fit into any other characters ongoing.

the art is so gorgeous that even a comicbook about Wanda, is very tempting. POLARIS IS FINALLY BACK! Damn, her presence made Duggan's X-Men A LOT better!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Looks like they're hedging their bets on what skin colour Wanda and Pietro would have based on their many-times-retconned parentage by varying it from page-to-page.
    I really don't understand this argument. Wanda and Pietro are racially white and ethnic romani. Its very clear when every one looks at them they see a white person.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I really don't understand this argument. Wanda and Pietro are racially white and ethnic romani. Its very clear when every one looks at them they see a white person.
    Not if you have an axe to grind about the genetic makeup of characters whose parentage (and thus, ethnicity) is constantly in flux. If they're sticking with Natalya Maximoff as their biological mom, I am glad Marvel is taking steps to make them look more ethic than usual. Sometimes it takes them time to course-correct, look at Monet and Sunspot.

BANNED

Can't think of a thing I didn't like after reading this yesterday.
    In fact, the following sums up my feelings quite nicely and...

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Can't wait! I'm really excited for this book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jv565 View Post
    I'm really excited for this too. There's a 'cozy mystery' feel about it that I love. The art is nice, and I love Darcy. Orlando's thought process gives me hope that he actually understands these characters. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm loving what Orlando has to say here, his comments about Wanda and Lorna and the lovely preview art. I think Steve's strengths lie in character work and I don't always see that on display on Marauders, where he's been focusing more on high-concept sci-fi which has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. But I welcome more X-work from him which he seems to be hinting at in the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm definitely picking up #3 for the sisters. That cover is gorg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    the art is so gorgeous that even a comicbook about Wanda, is very tempting. POLARIS IS FINALLY BACK! Damn, her presence made Duggan's X-Men A LOT better!!!!!
    in a fairly accurate way.

And putting these 2 things 2gether =

... AIPT: And while we’re talking family, X-Fans Ian, JMC, Kingdom X, and PolarIceHavok were all wondering if Wanda’s feelings about Magneto’s recent death might be explored.

Steve: They’ll absolutely be explored! You’ll be seeing that in issue 2, for which the solicit just came out, in a killer backup story by Stephanie Williams and Chris Allen that features Storm as well — I can’t wait!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

SCARLET WITCH #3

Written by STEVE ORLANDO
    Art by SARA PICHELLI
    Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

ENTER POLARIS!

When Polaris’ visit to her sister’s new magic shop is interrupted by a microscopic warrior desperate for aid, Polaris and the Scarlet Witch put their own mystery on hold to help on a fantastic journey through Sub-Atomica! Meanwhile, the dark past of Wanda’s enigmatic shop clerk, Darcy Lewis, comes back…with a vengeance.

Also, Monster Isle... like the Godzilla movies?... COOL!

BANNED

Re. 'Monster Isle', her handling what's essentially another kaiju again, here... does hearken back 2 ToM, 2, pretty... conspicuously.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As much as I am a fan of Orlando’s deepcuts , his doubling-down on Wanda and Pietro not being Magneto’s biokids is most offensive to me tsk tsk tsk how is he going to explain in a year or two when they are inevitably restored to their OG genetic relationship ?! For comparison , DC tried to pretend that PowerGirl was NOT SuperMan’s Kryptonian cousin on his father’s side , but in the end , they just restored her OG status anyway . What’s going to be Orlando’s excuse when the same thing happens to Pietro and Wanda , which is ironically the exact same thing that happened to Lorna , when Morrison and Austen restored her OG relationship status to Magneto , as was intended by her creators Thomas and Adams , but retconned by Byrne ?!
    I'm not sure why this is written as if Wanda's and Pietro's current situation is Orlando's fault. He's just following up what editorial did including Remender's and Robinson's changes.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Honestly, what I took away from this Preview is that she is acting like Dr. Strange only in another Town.

I'll give this book a try, after 3 issues and i'm not hooked i'm dropping it.
    The Sanctum Sanctorum's never been a *shop* tho, has it? And when has Stephen's schtick [and/or Clea's/Wong's, for that matter] ever been about helping those in need of it most, who are so desperate, they've lost all hope? This sounds like Wanda's gonna be a bit of an eccentric, supernatural social worker, so to speak, solving the mysterious, unconventional problems of those who are down on their luck & in a real bad way.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Honestly I feel if they were gonna make them Mutants again they would have done it in Trial of Magneto. The MCU certainly doesn't seem to be going that way

Astonishing Member

See, I feel that discounts Marvel's commitment to the 'anything can be an event if you just try hard enough' philosophy. Why make the twins mutants again in Trial of Magneto when you were already making an event out of Trial of Magneto and making the twins mutants again could be another LATER 'event' comic in and of itself?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Not if you have an axe to grind about the genetic makeup of characters whose parentage (and thus, ethnicity) is constantly in flux. If they're sticking with Natalya Maximoff as their biological mom, I am glad Marvel is taking steps to make them look more ethic than usual. Sometimes it takes them time to course-correct, look at Monet and Sunspot.
    I admit the new coloring made me instinctively nervous because on Twitter/Tumblr a lot of the pressure to do that comes (or used to come) from fans who consider the MCU version a whitewashed Nazi, attack artists who make her look too much like the evil Elizabeth Olsen, etc. I used to get worried that if the controversy blew up it would lead to the MCU version being fired (not recast; they just wouldn't use the character).

Realistically I know there's no chance of the MCU version getting fired now, so I'm just getting nervous for nothing and being unfair to the vast majority of fans who don't attack anyone.

The MCU Maximoff twins have a fixed look; the comics version don't even have fixed parents, so there's no "wrong" way to draw them.
    Last edited by gurkle; 11-29-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Course correct? Do you know any Roma? I am right now in Spain and every gitano I have met are white.

The Maximoff have look white since the 60's