Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Pikachu vs Chocobo

Who take this between mascots of their respective franchises

Note: the Pikachu here aren't necesarrily Ash's one
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

One of these rains Lightning from the Heavens, one of these rains Meteors from the Heavens. Push, especially in video game logic.

One of these can heal themselves and their allies. The other cannot. (As far as I know, some of the exclusive prize pikas had some weird moves.) Advantage: Chocobo.

One of these zips around small space fast enough to leave after images. The other runs or flies around the world in seconds. Classic "Travel speed versus combat speed" debate, but as Pokemon is a turn based game, and most of the Final Fantasy games with chocobos had ATB, I'm giving that one to the Chocobos too.

One of these can turn their tail into steel to deal heavy damage to rock monsters. The other uses their beak to dig through solid rock to find treasure. Push

One of these can fly, run on water, run over mountains, etc. One cannot. Advantage: Chocobo.

One of them has a God Mode with interdimensional inventory space spread across all of them everywhere. The other does not. Advantage: Chocobo.

One of them can restore MP. The other has no corresponding ability to restore PP. (Although I'm not sure Chocobo's attacks even used MP, I thought it worth bringing up). Advantage: Chocobo.

One of them, trying to fight them drives all the other monsters away. The other, trying to fight them draws extra monsters IN to fight you. Advantage: Chocobo.

One of them taking enough damage knocks them out. The other, has members that no matter HOW much damage you deal to them, upto and including, 140,000 damage doesn't kill them, they just run away. Advantage: Chocobo

Both have examples of them having roughly Human level intelligence.

Looks like one side has all the advantages, and that's not looking good for the one that fits in your pocket.

In any fight that takes into account a large enough sample size of both species, rather than one exceptional hero unit, the advantages should overwhelmingly turn in favor of the Chocobo.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

So, Chocobo is flying type?

The zappy rat wins.

The Black ones and the Gold Ones, yes. The normal Yellow ones, not so much. They don't fly, they just do leaps.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    The Black ones and the Gold Ones, yes. The normal Yellow ones, not so much. They don't fly, they just do leaps.
    That didn't stop Doduo from being a flying type.

Silly game mechanics aside, the average Chocobo in narrative is basically just a pack animal, right? No combat abilities to speak of. Where as the average Pikachu can launch lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That didn't stop Doduo from being a flying type.

Silly game mechanics aside, the average Chocobo in narrative is basically just a pack animal, right? No combat abilities to speak of. Where as the average Pikachu can launch lightning.
    Depends on the Chocobo, some are pack animals but can also rain meteors down to obliterate you.

If we're talking the average yellow chocobo then yes, regardless of the posturing it's not gonna do well against Pikachu.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Depends on the Chocobo, some are pack animals but can also rain meteors down to obliterate you.

If we're talking the average yellow chocobo then yes, regardless of the posturing it's not gonna do well against Pikachu.
    OP says this isn't Ash's Pikachu, which implies we are dealing with average members of each species.

Also... I'm inclined to disregard pretty much any combat mechanic from Final Fantasy after playing the 7 remake. "Oh no, we must sit and tearfully watch our friend slowly die from their injuries. What do you mean, you gave me a healing materia?" We got ludonarrative dissonance like woah.

I mean, in tactics, they were the ones that did the healing, so don't discount them too quickly.

I mean, in tactics, they were the ones that did the healing, so don't discount them too quickly.
    A chicken, however large, tends not to do well when pumped full of electricity.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

A chicken, however large, tends not to do well when pumped full of electricity.
    By that logic, a rat, no matter how anime, tends to not do well when stepped on by something over 6 feet tall.

By that logic, a rat, no matter how anime, tends to not do well when stepped on by something over 6 feet tall.
    We're not talking about an 'anime rat' here (IE a rat with specific feats to counter what you're questioning), we're talking about your average 'rat'. So yes.

Everything equal and 'average'. One of the opponents can fry the other one.

Arx Inosaan

Gets even sillier if you add a typing advantage. Which the Pikachu also has.

Arx Inosaan

Yeah, Munch,, you keep trying to turn this into some weird composite when that's clearly not the intent of the OP.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Combat scenario, I think Pikachu's agility/reflexes and ability to blast from mid-range is going to be enough to fry a Chocobo, even one that's been combat trained for melee.

In a straight dash, Yellow Chocobo might have some stride advantage, but I don't think they have the dodge feats to keep ducking and weaving the lightning blasts. Getting a chance to heal could be tricky with all that going on, so I don't know how good an advantage that would bring.

A Red Chocobo does indeed have the Meteor move, but Pikachu can probably dodge those well enough, so unless Red can spam the Meteors before Pikachu stuns him with lightning, I don't think Red's going to be taking it either. He'd have the best chance, though, if one of his Meteors can hit, even enough to stun from a glancing strike, he can then run up and claw/peck for probably decent damage.

A Black Chocobo's flight isn't going to be an advantage when a Pikachu can rain down lightning from overhead.

A Gold Chocobo being able to run across any terrain, including across water, could be a defensive advantage in some specific scenarios, but not in an arena fight.

Not sure if any of the other color variants do anything specific for an advantage or not.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 12-05-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Gets even sillier if you add a typing advantage. Which the Pikachu also has.
    I mean to be fair, I don't know if we can assume Chocobos are flying type.

From what I can find on wikis, All Chocobos are Earth element in FF. Some of the color variants have others types, namely Light, Wind, and Water. Light doen't really have an analoque inPokemon, but Wind could be considered flying, and Water is just water.

Depending on how the "All Chocobos are Earth element" works, Chocobos would have the type advantage on Pikachus