Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's from a Conan paperback book, never used for a Conan comic. And certainly not Conan #1.

It was used for a comic cover by Dark Horse, they did an 8 issue Conan Frazetta Cover series that featured Frazetta Conan paintings as the cover. That cover was used on issue #3

NOT AN ENTRY

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Frazetta never did any work for Marvel. WBE should just switch to one of the legit covers posted by MRP or Kirby101. The other one looks like someone altered the original Conan cover as Shalla Bal correctly observed. The Conan figure on the upper left is Windsor-Smith's work. Barry Windsor Smith did most of l the covers and interior art on those 1970s series (some look like Gil Kane may have done them) until he left after issue #25. Whatever site WBE got is from is suspicious to me if they didn't use a real cover.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It was used for a comic cover by Dark Horse, they did an 8 issue Conan Frazetta Cover series that featured Frazetta Conan paintings as the cover. That cover was used on issue #3

NOT AN ENTRY

-M
    I stand corrected, and edited my post. But the cover wbe posted is still not a real comic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Frazetta never did any work for Marvel. WBE should just switch to one of the legit covers posted by MRP or Kirby101. The other one looks like someone altered the original Conan cover as Shalla Bal correctly observed. The Conan figure on the upper left is Windsor-Smith's work. Barry Windsor Smith did most of l the covers and interior art on those 1970s series (some look like Gil Kane may have done them) until he left after issue #25. Whatever sight WBE got is from is suspicious to me if they didn't use a real cover.
    Barry Smith did 20 of the first 24 covers (his last issue was #24) With Gil Kane doing the other 4.

https://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/conan-the-barbarian
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Okay, I see from MRP's post that that Frazetta image was used for the Conan The Frazetta Covers series, #3 (Dark Horse) as MRP stated.
    https://www.comics.org/issue/395425/
    It's not what was posted (though of course WBE could just change his submission to the Dark Horse comic, as Iron Maiden suggested).

The comic posted for the contest seems to be fan mashup or something, as that particular image is all over, on posters, paperbacks, etc., and it wouldn't be difficult for someone creative to just slap it onto the 1970 BWS cover

Thanks for the feedback Kirby101, Iron Maiden and MRP.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 12-05-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Okay, I see from MRP's post that that Frazetta image was used for the Conan The Frazetta Covers series, #3 (Dark Horse) as MRP stated.
    https://www.comics.org/issue/395425/
    It's not what was posted (though of course WBE could just change his submission to the Dark Horse comic, as Iron Maiden suggested).

The comic posted for the contest seems to be fan mashup or something, as that particular image is all over, on posters, paperbacks, etc., and it wouldn't be difficult for someone creative to just slap it onto the 1970 BWS cover

Thanks for the feedback Kirby101, Iron Maiden and MRP.
    When I first saw his entry, I didn't look at it that closely, I just assumed one of the several dozen variants for Conan's relaunch at Marvel had used the Frazetta cover with the BWS corner box, not noticing the price on that image. With all the dozens of variants for every #1 launched at every company these days, it gets harder and harder to parse what is a real cover and what isn't.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

When I first saw his entry, I didn't look at it that closely, I just assumed one of the several dozen variants for Conan's relaunch at Marvel had used the Frazetta cover with the BWS corner box, not noticing the price on that image. With all the dozens of variants for every #1 launched at every company these days, it gets harder and harder to parse what is a real cover and what isn't.

-M
    That's why if I find a cover using Google search, I go to either GCD or Comicvine to source the image for my entry. That will confirm it is an actual published comic and not a mash-up.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    That's why if I find a cover using Google search, I go to either GCD or Comicvine to source the image for my entry. That will confirm it is an actual published comic and not a mash-up.
    I do the same using Lonestar instead.

-M

Invincible Member

Zelena for a gorgeous cover I had never seen before. Honorable mention to foxley for a gorgeous cover I own and have signed by Bernie.

-M

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Awesome week, great idea for a theme.

Going with Kirby101.

Zelena for a gorgeous cover I had never seen before. Honorable mention to foxley for a gorgeous cover I own and have signed by Bernie.

-M
    You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now.

But my own vote goes to WestPhillyPunisher for the glorious Perez cover; one I have used previously for the 'Group Shot' contest.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Mondo tough choices this week! I'll go with Iron Maiden and that Art Adams FF cover!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Frazetta never did any work for Marvel. WBE should just switch to one of the legit covers posted by MRP or Kirby101. The other one looks like someone altered the original Conan cover as Shalla Bal correctly observed. The Conan figure on the upper left is Windsor-Smith's work. Barry Windsor Smith did most of l the covers and interior art on those 1970s series (some look like Gil Kane may have done them) until he left after issue #25. Whatever sight WBE got is from is suspicious to me if they didn't use a real cover.
    Or... if you don't think it should count, don't vote for it.

But as I found it as a Dark Horse release, and what I posted was listed as a "Variant" of that cover. I ended up finding a ton of Frazetta's works have been repurposed as covers for different books, but the classic Conan was what I went with.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.