Page 268 of 499 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318368 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 7471

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Even if what you say is true, which is still a stretch, they are by far the worst parts of the movie. Suicide Squad was horrible, and it is not like there are memorable "Snyder-esque" scenes that are standouts.
    @Bold Worst part of the movie, huh? Maybe tone down the hyperbole, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    So you are essentially ascribing the 'credit' of bad Directing to Snyder, which is mindboggling that you want more of him.
    Snyder directed a few action scenes in WW and SS. Me pointing that out is somehow me asking for more of him?

That's projection, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’re completely delusional. Snyder’s only contribution to WW and Aquaman was casting Gadot and Momoa for BvS and JL. Other than that he had zero involvement. Trying to claim that actually he’s the reason those two movies succeeded is pure Snyderbot cope.
    Show me where I said that Snyder responsible for WW 2017 and Aquaman succeeding. Use the quote feature. I'll wait.

Zack and Deborah Snyder are executive producers for WW, Aquaman and Suicide Squad. This is a known fact. They helped craft the stories with the directors and tailor them to be in-line with the then upcoming JL. It's why the director of SS, David Ayer said his original version was closer in-line with JL. Before it was changed to distance it from Snyder and be more like Deadpool 1.

Projection and hyperbole with you lot is off the charts.

@bold Name calling is not a productive exercise.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 06-19-2023 at 10:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It wasn't the action scenes that made WW good. Fact is Snyder never understood the characters and that was the original problem with the DCEU. For Christ's sake the man recently revealed he wanted to make the Amazons Kryptonians.
    Look, I'll be the first to admit that some of Snyder's unused ideas were a bit...out there, if not downright insane. But based purely of what's on-screen, I think it's unfair to say he doesn't understand the characters.

His Superman was a pretty fair representation of the Post-Crisis Superman, albeit a somewhat more 'grown up' look at the character. Even Superman killing Zod isn't something he came up with on its own.

His Batman was based off the DKR Batman, as well as a lot of the darker Post-Crisis 'Bat-jerk' takes on the character (think 'Tower of Babel'). But his Batman's arc was about becoming closer to the more classic, heroic take on the character (and we saw the culmination of that in The Flash).

And so on. Some of us may not like the interpretations of the characters that Snyder favored but it doesn't mean that those aren't valid interpretations of the source material, if not lifted from the source material wholesale.

(Funnily enough, I do think Snyder dropped the ball when it came to the Flash and casting Ezra Miller as the character...but Andy Muschetti has done a much better job in bringing Ezra's portrayal more in line with the comics).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    @Bold Worst part of the movie, huh? Maybe tone down the hyperbole, mate.

Snyder directed a few action scenes in WW and SS. Me pointing that out is somehow me asking for more of him?

That's projection, mate.
    The Flash also used slo-mo so I guess he also shadow directed a few of those action scenes too! Come off it, if Snyder secretly directed a few scenes we would have heard about it by now. When WW was first getting made, Snyder was still running the show and everyone had to copy his style to line up with his overall vision. After he got the boot they didn’t, which is why Aquaman and WW 1984 are much more different.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I defy you to tell me that all the action scenes in WW 2017 and WW84 are shot by same director. Especially considering Snyder's blue filter and trademark slow-motion fight scenes are prevalent in WW 2017 and absent in WW84. It's a well known fact that Snyder helped co-write and produce WW 2017. Him being an uncredited director for certain scenes in the film isn't a stretch. Hell, Snyder has uncredited scenes in Suicide Squad 2016 that he directed.
    l

Saying Synder "ghost directed" Wonder Woman is like saying Christopher Nolan "ghost directed" Man of Steel, something I'm sure that go over well with the "Zack Snyder is the blue print" cult.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Damon Caro was the stunt coordinator and second unit director for Wonder Woman and Snyder's DCEU films. That's why you can see similarities in the action scenes.

I don’t the the mainstream audience has any investment in the DC characters right now. Batman is stand-alone do that different. I think with Marvel, it was everything being connected that was a factor in their success. I mean I went to see Ant-Man thinking there might be a crumb that tied into the Avengers. I skipped Black Widow & Shang Chi because they weren’t necessary viewing. It’s a wrong way of thinking. Movies should be judged on their own merit & not need to be part of a larger story. Unfortunately, people don’t want to spend the money to go to the theater & it sometimes feels like a chore to go no matter how good the movie is. It’s so much easier to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Flash also used slo-mo so I guess he also shadow directed a few of those action scenes too! Come off it, if Snyder secretly directed a few scenes we would have heard about it by now. When WW was first getting made, Snyder was still running the show and everyone had to copy his style to line up with his overall vision. After he got the boot they didn’t, which is why Aquaman and WW 1984 are much more different.
    Don't be obtuse. Between 300, Watch, MOS, BvS and JL. We all know what a Zack Snyder action scene looks like. Flash is a super speed character. We expect there to be slow-mo scenes.

The WW clip is posted has the hallmarks of Snyder directed action scene. For Suicide Squad, Snyder directed the scene where Flash capture Captain Boomerang. In the event you did not know that.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I allegedly said Snyder is responsible for WW and Aquaman being successful. I never said such a thing, so I imagine I'll be waiting a long time. If you would like to apologize for your pejorative insults ("Snyderbot" and "delusional"), I will accept them.

Respectful conduct on the internet is not too much to ask. Not once have I ever insulted you or anyone else on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Damon Caro was the stunt coordinator and second unit director for Wonder Woman and Snyder's DCEU films. That's why you can see similarities in the action scenes.
    Ah! Now that is useful information. Thank you for sharing. I learned something today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I don’t the the mainstream audience has any investment in the DC characters right now. Batman is stand-alone do that different. I think with Marvel, it was everything being connected that was a factor in their success. I mean I went to see Ant-Man thinking there might be a crumb that tied into the Avengers. I skipped Black Widow & Shang Chi because they weren’t necessary viewing. It’s a wrong way of thinking. Movies should be judged on their own merit & not need to be part of a larger story. Unfortunately, people don’t want to spend the money to go to the theater & it sometimes feels like a chore to go no matter how good the movie is. It’s so much easier to stay home.
    I've felt the same way for years. DC really copied the Marvel formula by greenlighting and funding all manner of comic book projects, but with no "Avengers" level event to bring them all together. A string of flops is what we have now.

I'm with the same place at Marvel. I don't watch every film they release in theaters and I stopped following every film and show they make as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Look, I'll be the first to admit that some of Snyder's unused ideas were a bit...out there, if not downright insane. But based purely of what's on-screen, I think it's unfair to say he doesn't understand the characters.

His Superman was a pretty fair representation of the Post-Crisis Superman, albeit a somewhat more 'grown up' look at the character. Even Superman killing Zod isn't something he came up with on its own.

His Batman was based off the DKR Batman, as well as a lot of the darker Post-Crisis 'Bat-jerk' takes on the character (think 'Tower of Babel'). But his Batman's arc was about becoming closer to the more classic, heroic take on the character (and we saw the culmination of that in The Flash).

And so on. Some of us may not like the interpretations of the characters that Snyder favored but it doesn't mean that those aren't valid interpretations of the source material, if not lifted from the source material wholesale.

(Funnily enough, I do think Snyder dropped the ball when it came to the Flash and casting Ezra Miller as the character...but Andy Muschetti has done a much better job in bringing Ezra's portrayal more in line with the comics).
    Post Crisis Superman is my favorite version of the character and Superman is my favorite superhero and Snyder's Superman is nothing like him. Synder is a man who copies poetry without understanding the meaning of what was written.

Superman killed Zod, Faora, and Quex-Ul because they had literally destroyed an Earth and threatened his home universe. He saw no other way to stop them, and the guilt almost destroyed him. Synder's flaw when killing Zod and pardon the pun was in the execution he kills Zod because Zod is about to kill a family, yet he just spent the last ten minutes ripping through Metropolis with Zod killing God knows how many people. What he only cares about the collateral damage when presented in front of him? In Superman II Zod and Ursa realized Superman's "Weakness" it was he cared about the humans if you threaten them, you can get him to yield.

Snyder's Batman kills goons and street thugs but his Rogues including Joker who murdered a Robin are alive? Even Titans knew if Batman threw the no kill rule out the 1st thing he'd do was go to Arkham and kill all the Rogues. Say what you will about Keaton's Batman killing but at least he was consistent he killed the goons, but he also killed Joker and Penguin.

Synder's WW in JL she stayed in the shadows because her boyfriend who she knew for what a week died a hundred years ago.

Whedon at least added a scene where she tells Bruce while helping to mend him, I might add that she stayed out of the public eye because Steve Trevor taught her humans are fragile and when you lead them into battle they can die, and she didn't want any more Steve Trevor's on her hands. This is why for as bad as it is I still think the Whedon Cut is better than the Snyder Cut.

I object to Snyder making characters stupid especially the DC Trinity.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-20-2023 at 09:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Oh, dude, Shang Chi was actually pretty cool. Dumb CGI fest third act as always with these movies, but that's probably one of the better recent MCU movies.

And I wholly agree that movies should be judged on their own merit and not on whether or not they should contribute to a larger narrative.

James Gunn's The Suicide Squad comes out and it flops hard. It's a better movie that the 2016 version, but no one went to see it. Speaking personally, I noticed that a lot of people who watched the first one were big fans of the Fast and Furious movies. When the second one came out, they couldn't be bothered. There was an audience there that WB lost the second time around.
    that's a weird one because the first Suicide Squad was a bit disjointed and doesn't flow right.... because it got a load of reshoots and stuff late in production to make it less gritty and grim. It keeps the dark tone in the finished version but is more playful with it.

but yeah, they didn't managed to nail anything.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Now we can finally get the true Flash on the big screen: my boy Wally West.

Clean slate this bitch and give us the newer versions of everyone.
    This implies the Barry Allen character had something to do with The Flash bombing and we should use its failure as an excuse to sweep him under the rug.

Don't be obtuse. Between 300, Watch, MOS, BvS and JL. We all know what a Zack Snyder action scene looks like. Flash is a super speed character. We expect there to be slow-mo scenes.

The WW clip is posted has the hallmarks of Snyder directed action scene. For Suicide Squad, Snyder directed the scene where Flash capture Captain Boomerang. In the event you did not know that.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to show me where I allegedly said Snyder is responsible for WW and Aquaman being successful. I never said such a thing, so I imagine I'll be waiting a long time. If you would like to apologize
    Still waiting for your actual evidence of Snyder ghost directing Wonder Woman beyond just "well I think he did".

Or should we starting giving Christopher Nolan directorial credit for MoS?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Some of us may not like the interpretations of the characters that Snyder favored but it doesn't mean that those aren't valid interpretations of the source material, if not lifted from the source material wholesale.
    Lot of folks miss that. Nothing in MoS or the other films was a new idea. Just old ideas done poorly.

I think there was an interesting idea in the heart of it, the idea of exploring these larger-than-life characters through the lens of a complicated, morally gray reality. On paper that sounds interesting, and if you can get over the faux outrage you can see how something like Pa Kent saying "maybe" is still in-line with the source material, just taking real-world complexities into account in a way the comics never do.

But I think as a thought experiment, it proves only that these characters don't really function outside of their own world/morality structure. Superman in the real world doesn't work the way Superman should work (or at least our expectations thereof), because he's not going to win over the whole population and be celebrated, or maintain the basic, simplistic convictions and justifications the comics get away with (not a criticism, merely an observation).

I'll be as glad as anyone else to see DC move entirely away from what Snyder did (and I quite like MoS), but I can't agree with those who say he didn't get the characters. He clearly did his homework and applied some literary analysis, but that doesn't mean the end result was good. It just means he had all the tools he needed and still made bad movies. But they're bad movies firmly entrenched in the source material, just twisted in regretful ways.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Still waiting for your actual evidence of Snyder ghost directing Wonder Woman beyond just "well I think he did".

And tbh, compared to BvS, MoS actually has comparatively decent reviews. Hell, dude even tried to stop Snyder/Goyer from the neck breaking scene. You legitimately could say Nolan contributed more to MoS than Snyder did to WW which has reviewed better than any of Snyder's movies ever making it laughable to give him credit for it.

Saying Synder "ghost directed" Wonder Woman is like saying Christopher Nolan "ghost directed" Man of Steel, something I'm sure that go over well with the "Zack Snyder is the blue print" cult.

Go back and read my post. I said Snyder is uncredited for directing a few action scenes. You deliberately removed context to make a strawman argument where you misrepresent the facts. I never said Snyder directed the whole movie. I always said he directed a few (noticeable for his style) action scenes.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan has uncredited scenes he directed MOS. I'm really failing to see any issues here. Patty Jenkins still has all the credit, she still directed the 'Crossing No Man's Land' scene, the key scenes between Diana and Steve and she directed the CGI finale.