Page 348 of 499 FirstFirst ... 248298338344345346347348349350351352358398448 ... LastLast
Results 5,206 to 5,220 of 7471

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Like I said, WB could have pushed the movie to next year when the strike is maybe over. They chose not to, so its on them.

The last time a DC movie was certified fresh was The Batman, (last year), which was far fresher than BB. In fact, Harley Quin and The I'm Not Writing All That score the same fresh rating as BB and it was utter garbage in every way. WW, Shazam, and a lot of older DC movies scored far higher than BB.
    I feel like people put maybe a little too much stock in Rotten Tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Absolutely. That and Cinemascore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Naw, it's unscientific and subject to manipulation. But the argument was made, and I merely point out BB really didn't do well as the DC movies go. And that those ratings don't really make sense, (BB is a better movie than Harley, by a long shot, yet they have equal number on RT.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Like I said, WB could have pushed the movie to next year when the strike is maybe over. They chose not to, so its on them.

The last time a DC movie was certified fresh was The Batman, (last year), which was far fresher than BB. In fact, Harley Quin and The I'm Not Writing All That score the same fresh rating as BB and it was utter garbage in every way. WW, Shazam, and a lot of older DC movies scored far higher than BB.
    The last time a DC movie was certified fresh was The Batman, (last year), which was far fresher than BB what is this supposed to prove? I said exactly that BB is the most recent fresh DC film since The Batman. HOW FRESH it is don't matter. It's still fresh. reviewed positively. Where did I say anything about it being the highest and freshest DC film? No where.

Like I said, WB could have pushed the movie to next year when the strike is maybe over. They chose not to, so its on them. A film that is already that locked and loaded 3-4 weeks post strike is not going to get just disappear. And like I said, they can use it as an excuse. That's what excuses are for.

Blue Beetle seems to be selling quite well for national cinema day! So many full theaters or nearly full theaters! I think Sunday is about to have the highest gross for Blue Beetles entire run
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Blue Beetle seems to be selling quite well for national cinema day! So many full theaters or nearly full theaters! I think Sunday is about to have the highest gross for Blue Beetles entire run
    Not according to the latest predictions. It’s now supposed to do worse than originally estimated for its second weekend. expected to do around $10.5 million instead of $12 million.

It’s pretty frustrating that DC actually makes a very enjoyable movie and no one goes to support it. On top of the actor’s not being able to promote it I think people have been burned far too many times by the DC brand and are just gonna wait for it to hit streaming.

It’s not a great situation but I’d rather have a quality movie that doesn’t do well at the box office than a stinker that makes a ton of money but does long term damage. Looking at you Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman. hopefully more people will discover Blue Beetle down the line when the movie hits streaming, since it’s actually a great flick.

Regardless of its box office this could be an overall positive for Blue Beetle (both Jaime and Ted). The character went from something that basically no one had heard of to a more well known part of modern pop culture. WB/DC now has something to build on with the character.

It’s the opposite of what happens to a more universally known character like The Flash or Green Lantern when they have a box office disaster. it damages the marketability of the character for years to come.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-26-2023 at 12:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Naw, it's unscientific and subject to manipulation. But the argument was made, and I merely point out BB really didn't do well as the DC movies go. And that those ratings don't really make sense, (BB is a better movie than Harley, by a long shot, yet they have equal number on RT.
    Well critics liked both equally.
    TOMATOMETER is what critics liked the most etc.. not how good a movie is.

Average rating below the TOMATOMETER is the real score or score on how strong or good a movie or show is from critics.

BLUE BEETLE
    6.40 out of 10

BIRDS OF PREY
    6.80 out of 10

So critics liked both equally but thought birds of prey is the stronger movie.

Actually the Tomatometer is not how much critics liked a movie, but how many of them thought the movie was worth a watch. It’s based on an average of binary scores (rotten or ripe). So even if they didn’t think it was the best movie ever but it’s watchable (ripe), it gets a positive score.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at the recent box office numbers i think blue beetle might beat shazam 2 domestic numbers or come much closer to it but not worldwide.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-26-2023 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not according to the latest predictions. It’s now supposed to do worse than originally estimated for its second weekend. expected to do around $10.5 million instead of $12 million.

It’s pretty frustrating that DC actually makes a very enjoyable movie and no one goes to support it. On top of the actor’s not being able to promote it I think people have been burned far too many times by the DC brand and are just gonna wait for it to hit streaming.

It’s not a great situation but I’d rather have a quality movie that doesn’t do well at the box office than a stinker that makes a ton of money but does long term damage. Looking at you Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman. hopefully more people will discover Blue Beetle down the line when the movie hits streaming, since it’s actually a great flick.

Regardless of its box office this could be an overall positive for Blue Beetle (both Jaime and Ted). The character went from something that basically no one had heard of to a more well known part of modern pop culture. WB/DC now has something to build on with the character.

It’s the opposite of what happens to a more universally known character like The Flash or Green Lantern when they have a box office disaster. it damages the marketability of the character for years to come.
    Projections are all over the place right now because the trades have no idea how to predict NCD or how much each film will sell.

BOP has it at 12.5M
    Deadline has it at 10.5
    Variety has it at 8M

So we have a range, and with how it’s currently selling around me I’d bet it’s closer to 12 than 8!

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Looking at the recent box office numbers i think blue beetle might beat shazam 2 domestic numbers or come much closer to it but not worldwide.
    Blue Beetle still has 4 big markets to release in (China, Korea, Japan and Australia) so I think it’ll pass Shazam 2 world wide, next step would be to pass TSS and WW84, but that’ll depend on how it performs in the markets left.

Cinema day is sunday. All movies in america from the main theatres are $4! IMax and big d and 3-d included! Reports pre ticket sales are up 700% from saturday sales. What does that mean for dc?

Well--

Anecdotal but Blue Beetle is selling a lot of tickets on that Sunday in my theater
    I’m hearing reports that Blue Beetle’s upcoming Sunday is beating every day from the opening weekend
    This could be a big help to beetle. Heck my family is going to see it sunday in big D as it's only $4!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c...ets_currently/

Extraordinary Member

I'm interested as to how you can spin Blue Beetle into a success for WB. Bottom line is, like their other DCU offerings this year so far, it flopped. Not as big as the others, since it cost less...maybe that's a silver lining. But "failing less than the others" but still failing is hard to imagine as any sort of win.

We get it, you like the movie. That's fine, lots of other people did too. But not nearly enough. Facts are facts, and it's really hard to get around them.
    Well, for one, I haven't even seen it yet. I've wanted to and I'm going to tonight, but I have a busy life and haven't had the time.

But secondly, you're right. Facts are facts. But what I gave you WERE the facts. It is a fact that we are in the middle of a dual strike, the likes of which have not been seen since 1960. That UNDOUBTEDLY affects the box office. Because if actors and writers cannot promote the projects, then people are less aware of those projects and are less likely to see them. That's kind of the whole goal for the unions with the strike: to hurt the studios economically so they come back to the negotiating table.

It's also a fact that people seem to be talking about this movie in a very positive light and word of mouth is good.

So, everything me and other people have said are facts that impact how this film does in this very much irregular climate. However, you seem to just want to judge things as if they're normal right now (maybe because you want another sign of the incompetence of anyone not named James Gunn at DC), but what we're telling you is that: no, things are not normal right now. This is not like WBD released this film during a normal year and it bombed. It released this film in a very turbulent year where Hollywood is essentially on fire right now and those factors impacted this movie's box office.

Yeah, I haven't seen Beetle yet either (too busy) but despite it underperforming a little it seems to be a net positive for DC like we haven't seen in a while. I said from the start that all this movie needed to do was be 'solid' and enjoyable enough to start repairing some of DC's brand damage. It seems to be doing that, regardless of what the box office or critics say. Word of mouth is positive, social media still seems to be rooting for the movie, and the film itself sounds like it's entertaining enough to satisfy folks. Nothing groundbreaking, but right now DC doesn't have to reinvent the wheel or even make the best wheel ever, they just have to prove they have some basic competency. If Beetle is a decent movie people enjoy, it's a win. Whatever it makes or doesn't make matters a lot less than proving that DC *can* make a good movie.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, I haven't seen Beetle yet either (too busy) but despite it underperforming a little it seems to be a net positive for DC like we haven't seen in a while. I said from the start that all this movie needed to do was be 'solid' and enjoyable enough to start repairing some of DC's brand damage. It seems to be doing that, regardless of what the box office or critics say. Word of mouth is positive, social media still seems to be rooting for the movie, and the film itself sounds like it's entertaining enough to satisfy folks. Nothing groundbreaking, but right now DC doesn't have to reinvent the wheel or even make the best wheel ever, they just have to prove they have some basic competency. If Beetle is a decent movie people enjoy, it's a win. Whatever it makes or doesn't make matters a lot less than proving that DC *can* make a good movie.
    It’s definitely a good movie and its biggest strength is the family dynamic, plus Xolo is so damn good/charismatic that I hope he gets more leading roles. Unfortunately any good will Biue Beetle builds up will be destroyed by Aquaman 2, if rumors are to be believed. DC’s biggest problem is consistency!! They need to be consistently good to change the narrative of DC time being bad… hopefully with Gunn in charge and looking over scripts, the quality will rise and we won’t get anymore half hearted, rushed/generic films!

Also a big thing that is currently hurting DC (and WB in general) is that they’re chasing trends and trying to imitate what has worked for other studios/films instead of being the innovative studio they were in 2000’s

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    It’s definitely a good movie and its biggest strength is the family dynamic, plus Xolo is so damn good/charismatic that I hope he gets more leading roles. Unfortunately any good will Biue Beetle builds up will be destroyed by Aquaman 2, if rumors are to be believed.
    Yeah, that's definitely a concern. It'll be interesting to see how WB handles the marketing and PR spin.

Also a big thing that is currently hurting DC (and WB in general) is that they’re chasing trends and trying to imitate what has worked for other studios/films instead of being the innovative studio they were in 2000’s
    Trying to imitate more successful studios has been a lethal flaw with DC since the MCU became successful. Even when they go in a different direction it usually feels like such an obvious reaction to their competition you couldn't make it any clearer if you screamed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.