Page 305 of 499 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 7471

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't know what kind of fantasy land you live in but not every actor out there is some bleeding heart thespian that studied all the classics of cinema or something. Many want to be actors because of the money, fame, and lifestyle that being an actor provides and the acting is just a job. You even see this within sports. Not everyone that plays sports professionally does it out of love for the game. It's a big discussion in something like the NBA atm. But it feels like you are jumping to conclusions way to fast. No one is getting their likeness hijacked without consent. I've not heard that anywhere nor is that legal. They want safeguards in place to future-proof the use of AI with actors so they can get proper compensation because the unions failed to see what happened with streamers screwing actors out of residuals. The main point of tension between the studio and the actors is the residuals on streaming platforms. Right now actors get paid WAY less than what they should be when these streaming platforms are having their movies or TV shows get binge watched endless by people all around the world all day everyday, and also these studios can remove the movie or TV show from their platform freely to skirt around having to give out residuals or bonuses based on how a certain project did, and it is also difficult to even know how truly successful a project was as there is no real data for streaming views other than what the streaming networks provide.

The majority of actors now in the guild make well below a livable wage. A big issue is that with streaming and the reduced number of episodes shows now have the salaries have kind of fallen off and a lot are now earning less than they did in the early 2000s. The entire industry is built on the backs of desperate people moving to Hollywood hoping for their shot at fame. It's one of the most predatory industries in the country but the dazzling movies and TV shows mask the real problems within the industry as a whole. But it all still comes down to contracts. No one can get their likeness taken from them unless they sign it away themselves. The union's purpose is to make sure the studios can't overstep the bounds of the contract and give the actors protection. Just make sure actors don't sign contracts that give studios unlimited freedom with using AI likeness of them unless the actor wants it. I feel like that is a fairly easy thing to handle in the long run.

So you don't think stunt performers are actors as well? So when Batman is doing all those action scenes, riding his motorcycle, and fighting the bad guys that doesn't count as acting too? Then what about the people that do all the performance capture for animation or anything? Do you think that was actually Vin Diesel in the blue suit doing all the performance capture work for Groot? I just don't think a person being used as a stand in for some AI likeness actor isn't that dissimilar to performance capture now. Since they will only be providing the motion but the voice and image will be added later.

Yeah it couldn't now, but there is nothing saying that in 20 or 30 years AI couldn't write something that is on par with a show you consider great. There is just no way to know, but so much of what makes a show successful isn't just the writing. It is also the directing, the acting, and the editing. I think eventually AI will be used in all parts of production of these shows and it will get to a point where the audience probably won't be aware of what is or isn't aided by AI I think. That is probably the most likely future. It isn't a all in or all out thing in regards to AI, but more of a blend of it across the whole industry that will make thing simpler.

I never said it was a good thing. I don't know where you got that from. I was just talking about it from a more neutral point of view. Since all industries deal with these kind of upheavals when new technology is introduced. Towns across the US are gutted because automation and computers have rendered so many old jobs obsolete. I think it is inevitable that many jobs in Hollywood both in front and behind the camera will change drastically with the use of AI. AI will eventually be able to edit film and create CGI assets which will cost a lot of jobs working in post production too. It's sad but I don't see how you can ban technology that will be able to do so much.

Again, I never said I was advocating for anything. My whole point was that it would be incredibly stupid for the studios to ban or outlaw new technology that could reshape their entire industry. If you were the studio you wouldn't give that future option away now.
    Lol. Dude, I actually WORK in entertainment. So I’m not “living in a fantasy.” I’m actually involved in it and I really don’t need to be lectured about the realities of the business. I know the motivations of actors and creatives a lot better than you do. And trust me when I say: the ones who stick around are the ones who genuinely love acting. The ones who get into it for fame and fortune only almost never last because, like you said, only a SLIM minority of actors actually make a living by acting full-time. It’s actually only about 1% of SAG membership that can sustain themselves on their acting income. Ninety-nine percent (including some celebrities you see on TV) have other revenue streams. So I’ve seen a lot of those actors who are JUST looking for attention and fame come and go in my time in the industry.

So, no most actors DO NOT want to only do the bare minimum. Because most actors want to, you know, act out the parts themselves. That’s why they’re there to begin with.

Also, you do know what the contracts process for working on a TV show is like right?? I do. Because I’ve been part of that process. They’re boilerplate agreements negotiated by SAG and the AMPTP based on the level of project. And whatever is in those terms is what the actors agree to because an INDIVIDUAL actor doesn’t have much leverage to negotiate for special terms. They’re not in a position where they have a lot of bargaining power so studios take advantage of them if they can. I mean, that is literally the reason there IS a union in the first place. To ensure that those terms are fair. So that is where the sticking point is. Because the union MADE UP OF PROFESSIONAL ACTORS doesn’t want to agree to terms that would sign away their members’ likenesses whenever they did a project. Because bottom line: actors are still people who want to control their likeness just as you’d want to control yours. So please tell me how you’ve gotten this notion that actors are somehow lining up to have their faces scanned by AI because “hey, it doesn’t matter to me as long as I’m famous” when their own union is advocating against it.

Pretty much everyone in my circle I’ve talked to—actors, writers, casting directors, agents, managers, entertainment lawyers, etc.—are very anti-AI. A lot of reps I know have warned their clients to stay away from non-union projects that would ask them to scan their likeness. Everyone I know who is in SAG voted for the strike authorization, in large part, because of AI. Because THEY want to be the ones acting. Not a computer.

And again, you do not have to tell me about residuals. Do you know how many anecdotes I have about dwindling residuals?? A lot. But the residuals and streaming, while one of the big issues in this strike, is still not the only issue. The other is AI. Fran Drescher even named it as one of the main issues they’re striking about.

So again, idk where you’re getting this idea that actors are willing to sign their likeness away.

Where did I say stunt performers were not actors? Pretty sure I’m advocating for their continued ability to ply their craft. What I said was that they are different from AI because they are still performers being hired for their skills.

And I’m sorry but no: AI could never write for TV like humans can. Because for something to be art, it has to be an actual reflection of human experience. That may be “fantasy” to some but when you’re in the arts, you understand it. AI can mimic formulaic speech and can do stuff like legal briefs or academic papers because those follow a mandatory pattern. But writing things like speech and dialogue and behavior (or at least doing it well) requires that the writer is actually familiar with human behavior. And again, AI can never really duplicate that because it’s not human.

And the point of this strike is to LIMIT the amount to which AI can replace as much as possible. Because if AI can come for actors and writers, it’s absolutely coming for your industry. And in this case, it’s not about whether the studios would be “dumb” for passing on AI. We know that their motivations make AI very attractive for their bottom line. We’re not stupid. But the issue is that their motivations here are not lining up with fairness and equity in this business. And yes, we know that fairness and equity aren’t on the top of their list of considerations. But that is why we DO have organized labor in this country. Because the TPTB a lot of the time have to be forced to take fairness and equity into account for the well-being of the workers that make them their millions.

But…that’s my take. So sorry for the detraction, but as you can probably tell, this is an issue I’m very passionate about.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-15-2023 at 07:56 PM.

*Chief's kiss*

Great bookend for what a **** show this whole production has been.

Fresh Off Its Disappointing Box Office Performance, The Flash Will Launch As An NFT

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Aquaman 2 reshoots happened at the end of June 2023 (likely something minimal unlike the reshoots of the past Summer). The film has recently wrapped editing, it's done.

Xolo addressed it today in a video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CuqhphGN58N/
    Any idea what the latest reshoot was about?

Extraordinary Member

I'm actually excited about Guy Gardner being introduced. I don't know how much screen time he'll get, but I think Gunn will make the most of it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Any idea what the latest reshoot was about?
    Nope. It's only known that Momoa and Wilson were part of the latest reshoots but that's it.

The previous reshoots (Summer 2022) happened to tweak the plot related to the villains (Black Manta and Mongo, the King of Necrus) and replace Keaton (he had 2 scenes) with Affleck after Aquaman 2 was moved before The Flash. Under Gunn/Safran, as per the latest test screenings, the film was made self contained with the removal of (both) Batman and unresolved subplots/cliffhanger ending setting up a 3rd film.

I can't think what other tweaks Gunn could've requested recently. We'll see in December, I guess.

Astonishing Member

Jeez, what kind of movie they made, if it needs so many reshoots? And the first one was really good, lol. I really don't get what the hell happened there.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Jeez, what kind of movie they made, if it needs so many reshoots? And the first one was really good, lol. I really don't get what the hell happened there.
    Only the reshoots of the past year were extensive (and expensive). The new reshoots didn't seem to have last that much. It's probably some minor tweak like they did for The Flash.

So how many DC brands did WB ruin this past year alone. Black Adam? Shazam? Flash? Are Aquaman and Blue Beetle going to be next.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So how many DC brands did WB ruin this past year alone. Black Adam? Shazam? Flash? Are Aquaman and Blue Beetle going to be next.
    I don't know what to think about Aquaman, but I think Beetle might end up doing okay. It's not gonna net a huge box office or anything, but the fans seem to be rooting for it and all the hype I see has been positive. Gunn liked what he saw enough to tag Xolo into the new DCU stuff. And these guys have played word games and hedged their bets with other movies and whether any of it 'matters' anymore, but I feel like Gunn wouldn't officially bring Xolo in if he didn't think the movie had any legs.

Aquaman...it's the same folks who did the first one so you figure you're in pretty good hands right, but what I've heard about it doesn't sound encouraging. The DCEU seems to be sequel-cursed, so maybe Aquaman 2 really has gone sideways? But I hope it delivers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't know what to think about Aquaman, but I think Beetle might end up doing okay. It's not gonna net a huge box office or anything, but the fans seem to be rooting for it and all the hype I see has been positive. Gunn liked what he saw enough to tag Xolo into the new DCU stuff. And these guys have played word games and hedged their bets with other movies and whether any of it 'matters' anymore, but I feel like Gunn wouldn't officially bring Xolo in if he didn't think the movie had any legs.

Aquaman...it's the same folks who did the first one so you figure you're in pretty good hands right, but what I've heard about it doesn't sound encouraging. The DCEU seems to be sequel-cursed, so maybe Aquaman 2 really has gone sideways? But I hope it delivers.
    Given what we know about A2...its already going away from what helped made the first one enjoyable. Mera is a guest character. We have the film being lead by Arthur/Orm which is not that interesting at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Given what we know about A2...its already going away from what helped made the first one enjoyable. Mera is a guest character. We have the film being lead by Arthur/Orm which is not that interesting at all.
    I mean, I’m interested in that. Personally, I think Patrick Wilson is one of the most underrated actors out there and I want to see more of what he can do with Orm.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Eh, from seeing the trailer, IMO Blue Beetle is toast. It's not that it seems to be a bad movie, but that it seems like a rather boring episode, slightly more expensive than most. of a CW Arrowverse show. Xolo just seemed out of his depth, trying to do Iron Man crossed with Spider-Man, but not really hitting on either. The writing seemed pedestrian, as did the lines, and everything seemed bog standard. There was literally nothing in it I haven't seen before, and often much better done.

I feel it's going to be the sort of movie you leave and largely forget five minutes later. You feel neither satisfied nor hugely disappointed. It's not that the character or actor can't be part of the new DCU, just that he's not going to be any sort of linchpin. More of a background character. And try next time to give the guy more to work with. Unless of course they just cut a trailer consisting of all the worst parts of the movie, in which case...it could be better than it seems. Doesn't seem all that likely. I predict a reception a bit less enthusiastic than say Shazam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I didn't find Mera a particularly interesting character, but I love Wilson. So the movie being led by him and the, y'know, lead character is probably interesting to most people.

I've just heard test audiences didn't react well to it and it might be a mess. I hope not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I didn't find Mera a particularly interesting character, but I love Wilson. So the movie being led by him and the, y'know, lead character is probably interesting to most people.

I've just heard test audiences didn't react well to it and it might be a mess. I hope not, though.
    I think there've been a few cuts, each with different Batmen (Keaton, Affleck, hopefully not Clooney but you never know) as well as a few other changes, and none of them have been received well

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    I think there've been a few cuts, each with different Batmen (Keaton, Affleck, hopefully not Clooney but you never know) as well as a few other changes, and none of them have been received well
    At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing Clooney, for the heck of it Put him in the suit this time...