Page 187 of 497 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They could say that he knocked up Talia when he was younger and traveling the world, training with everyone including Ra’s and the League of Shadows/Assassins. Young Bruce has a fling with the daughter of the Demon and 10 years later she introduces him to Damian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That would be my guess, too. Ever since Batman Begins, the idea that Bruce trained with Ra's during his Pre-Batman years is already well established. Having him unwittingly knock up Talia during his youth only to have 10 year old Damian appear while he's still relatively young is a smart way of introducing Batman's son without ageing Bruce too much.
    Yeah, that would be a bad direction to take, imo, because its a very untrue or inauthentic take on the Bruce/Talia/Ra's relationship. Ra's training up Bruce was established in one movie: Batman Begins. And even people who like the Christopher Nolan Batman films would point out that that take on Ra's isn't the best. And then because of that fact, Bruce and Ra's come to blows then very early in his career and therefore instead of Batman and Talia having a genuine love story, Marion Cotillard's Talia is on a mission of revenge and merely seduces Bruce to advance that mission.

Also, and this is the more important part: Ra's and Talia don't respect and/or love Bruce. They have those feelings for Batman. The whole thing that makes that dynamic between the three of them fascinating is because Ra's is impressed with Batman's skill and prowess as Batman and sees him as a worthy challenger/suitor for his daughter. There's a reason that both of them more often than not call him "The Detective" as opposed to "Bruce." And that wouldn't be the same if Ra's himself had trained him up. One is a student/master dynamic. The other is a meeting of equals.

And yes, there are people who would say "but Batman is Bruce. Bruce Wayne is the mask." The "Bruce" part of Bruce Wayne is still a part of who he is. Talia may still love "Bruce" but she definitely loves "Batman" more. So introducing Talia to "Bruce" instead of to "Batman" kind of diminishes that whole relationship.

Also, as if mid to late 30s is ancient. LOL. Zachary Levi and Chris Evans are both in their 40s and they are in better shape than I am despite me being about a decade younger than them. And I'm a guy who stays fit.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-28-2023 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Well, the world famous DC superhero team was a colossal flop, so maybe what actually matters is the quality of the movie and not how "famous" the characters are?
    If Blue Beetle is good, I think it's gonna be a huge deciding factor here. If it gets good reviews and makes solid money, it's a sign that it's not superhero fatigue but bad movie fatigue; if it does poorly in spite of good reviews, it's a sign that people are just sick of the genre and don't care enough to see a movie about a no-name.

Though I'll say this for myself - even if BB gets good reviews, I'll probably just watch it on a plane eventually. Don't care to spend the time or money on yet another C-list superhero origin story, even if it's a particularly good one. But I'll check out the TV shows, and I'd definitely turn out to the theater to see well-reviewed movies about the Trinity and maybe Harley (also Supergirl: WoT because I really liked the comic, though the character herself wouldn't be a draw for me).

If BB is well-received and still fails to turn a profit in spite of its modest budget, I think DC needs to ditch the smaller-name films and focus on making great, self-contained, and reasonably-budgeted (sub-$200m) films about their biggest stars. Save the smaller names for TV, assuming shows like Waller, Lanterns, and Paradise Lost wind up being hits. I also think they should limit themselves to maybe 1-2 theatrical releases and 1-2 live-action TV shows per year - it seems like they're trying to do that but I think it's a mistake to have movies like The Authority and Swamp Thing taking up space.

In general I think wish they'd stop trying to do another big cinematic universe - people are really starting to sour on the MCU, the failure of the DCEU put a stain on the whole idea of a connected DCU, and the budget bloat on big team movies is insane - but it's a foregone conclusion at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    If Blue Beetle is good, I think it's gonna be a huge deciding factor here. If it gets good reviews and makes solid money, it's a sign that it's not superhero fatigue but bad movie fatigue; if it does poorly in spite of good reviews, it's a sign that people are just sick of the genre and don't care enough to see a movie about a no-name.

Though I'll say this for myself - even if BB gets good reviews, I'll probably just watch it on a plane eventually. Don't care to spend the time or money on yet another C-list superhero origin story, even if it's a particularly good one. But I'll check out the TV shows, and I'd definitely turn out to the theater to see well-reviewed movies about the Trinity and maybe Harley (also Supergirl: WoT because I really liked the comic, though the character herself wouldn't be a draw for me).

If BB is well-received and still fails to turn a profit in spite of its modest budget, I think DC needs to ditch the smaller-name films and focus on making great, self-contained, and reasonably-budgeted (sub-$200m) films about their biggest stars. Save the smaller names for TV, assuming shows like Waller, Lanterns, and Paradise Lost wind up being hits. I also think they should limit themselves to maybe 1-2 theatrical releases and 1-2 live-action TV shows per year - it seems like they're trying to do that but I think it's a mistake to have movies like The Authority and Swamp Thing taking up space.

In general I think wish they'd stop trying to do another big cinematic universe - people are really starting to sour on the MCU, the failure of the DCEU put a stain on the whole idea of a connected DCU, and the budget bloat on big team movies is insane - but it's a foregone conclusion at this point.
    That would be a travesty! DC fans deserve a connected cinematic universe like Marvel fans got! I don’t want to return to the day if only Batman and sometimes Superman getting films! Hated that era!

Anyway hoping for the best for Blue Beetle and I hope that trailer is a solid one because 1st impressions matter! Also Latinos better show up for Blue Beetle, since it looks like we aren’t getting Namor anytime soon
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    This always brings me back to the backlash against MOS and the Snyderverse. Yes, some of the criticisms were valid, but the fact is that the man was trying to do something different. But his vision was rejected because it was too 'dark' and 'grim'.
    The main problem with Snyder's way of doing something different, was that he was trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Superman didn't feel like Superman at the end of the day. At that point, use Apollo/Midnighter instead of trying to force Superman/Batman into that 'dark' or 'grim' mold.

I've grown a bit tired of Gunn's anti-hero shtick, but I do commend him for using his vision of 'anti-heroes being heroes' and not forcing characters that wouldn't work in that vision, in that mold. He didn't try to force Superboy to be on Suicide Squad; he didn't try to force Nova onto the Guardians.

I do agree that in this current movie watching climate, just being a superhero movie is no longer enough to get audiences to show up, as they now feel a dime a dozen. The last superhero movie I saw was Spider-man, and that was only because it leveraged Tobey Maguire as a new element.
    Last edited by lefthanded; 03-28-2023 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Wow the world famous Dc superhero team - "The Authority" is getting a movie.

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    He's doing exactly what he needs to do: switch it up. CBMs are going to have to evolve and go new places if they want to stick around.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Lmao, people complain about Batman and Superman being the only heroes to get movies, then when Authority is announced, they wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    The main problem with Snyder's way of doing something different, was that he was trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Superman didn't feel like Superman at the end of the day. At that point, use Apollo/Midnighter instead of trying to force Superman/Batman into that 'dark' or 'grim' mold.

I've grown a bit tired of Gunn's anti-hero shtick, but I do commend him for using his vision of 'anti-heroes being heroes' and not forcing characters that wouldn't work in that vision, in that mold. He didn't try to force Superboy to be on Suicide Squad; he didn't try to force Nova onto the Guardians.

I do agree that in this current movie watching climate, just being a superhero movie is no longer enough to get audiences to show up, as they now feel a dime a dozen. The last superhero movie I saw was Spider-man, and that was only because it leveraged Tobey Maguire as a new element.
    A movie starring Superman and Batman together was the easiest possible slam dunk they could have been handed, and they somehow managed to **** it up so epically. Doing something different is fine, but ideally it should either be done with lesser known characters or wait until a few films later after the audience is invested in these versions of Supes and Bats to start experimenting with them.

RRR is the movie Batman v Superman should have been.

Just saw Shazam 2. It was great but I wonder how it would've been if Captain Marvel when in superhero form pretended to be an adult but made some slip ups here and there.

I think it was a core element of Shazam to pretend to be an adult in public but make stupid mistakes that an adult would never do. Everyone he hangs out with knows he's a kid. Every major enemy he fights knows he's a kid.

It would have been interesting and funny to see Captain Marvel put some effort into maintaining his adult status.

Have you guys even read The Authority? The things that they do in their comic won't fly in a world that has Superman and other DC heroes in it. So either we're getting a neutered version of the authority or a neutered Superman.
    The authority has been wildstorm and separate from the main DC universe for a reason.

Also Guardians of the galaxy came after 9 movies. After the avengers had been established.
    Anyway It's the beginning and James should be focusing on developing the main DC universe first.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-28-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Nothing new, people say they want more diversity in comics, but then nobody shows up when DC (or another comapany) tries to publish more diverse material.
    That is mainly a DC and Marvel issue.

Other companies are NOT having this issue. Many of them are producing diverse stuff that does not NEED 100K in orders.

Folks showed up for Lumberjanes, Backstagers, Spawn, Bitter Root, Excellence, House of Slaughter, Farmhands and others.

With many of those books being able to tell a complete story and others get to have spinoffs.

Vampirella is having the universe folks here WANT for Wonder Woman.

It's here at Marvel and DC where it's the issue.

Where folks LOOK for reasons to NOT support.

Every flaw a writer or artist has seems to MATTERED more with diverse books versus guys like Batman. Where it should matter just much with Batman.

We see cries for better writers yet when DC HIRES some-who happen to be certain demos-there is an issue before the FIRST issue of the book comes out.

Your point is taken but lets look beyond it and see the real issue.

Folks want that diversity under THEIR terms.

It has to be PERFECT for them.

Have you guys even read The Authority? The things that they do in their comic won't fly in a world that has Superman and other DC heroes in it. So either we're getting a neutered version of the authority or a neutered Superman.
    The authority has been wildstorm and separate from the main DC universe for a reason.

Also Guardians of the galaxy came after 9 movies. After the avengers had been established.
    Anyway It's the beginning and James should be focusing on developing the main DC universe first.
    Seems like the folks who put him in charge of running the "Creative..." aspect of the new "Big Picture..." would disagree with that assessment.

Past that, this will seemingly be an Authority that exists in a "Classic Coke..." DCU. So, the idea that any of the components will be exactly what they have been seems like a toss up. At best.

He’s got Superman and Batman films up first, not sure why people are acting like he’s only doing C-Listers. The Authority are likely going to be the JL’s predecessors, they’ll be the loose cannons that the League comes together to replace.
    Nothing burger of an article.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Pretty excited for Authority. I read the first run and I enjoyed it a lot.

If they get it right, it be some over the top stuff just a bunch of unrestrained superhumans laying waste on the badguy.

My main concern though is potentially going the Guardians route of making them ****-ups. They aren't supposed to be losers, they are more...... monsters that cannonball through whatever pisses them off.

Not the best comparison but its how like how John Wick is about this professional warrior who just barrels through an entire army of fuckers through his epic skills and ****. Midnighter is one man death man and he's technically one of the weaker members of the team.

Extraordinary Member

Really? Because in the DCU, we have had girlfriends murdered and stuffed in refrigerators, sidekicks being to beaten to death with crowbars and/or becoming addicted to narcotics, superheroes framing each other for murder, heroes transforming into supervillains themselves and committing atrocities, heroes committing "magic lobotomies" of villains, etc. And that's all while Batman and Superman have...existed. Honestly, the idea that anything is "too edgy" for comic book movies/universes is very outdated.

Just found out that the heroes won't have origin stories. They'll already be established in Gunn's universe like the JLU cartoon.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-29-2023 at 01:52 AM.