Page 188 of 497 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Just found out that the heroes won't have origin stories. They'll already be established in Gunn's universe like the JLU cartoon.
    Cool. I've seen the rocket ship land in Smallville or the Wayne's get gunned down in that alley already, more than once. Tell some fresher stories with those characters, where they are already competent and experienced and adult. Competent and capable > awkward and inexperienced. We've got *plenty* of younger heroes that could be tapped to play up the '... Begins' angle where the rookie takes his first steps into crimefighting and balances it with teen / YA drama. Save that for Blue Beetle or various Titans / Young Justice types.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Pretty excited for Authority. I read the first run and I enjoyed it a lot.

If they get it right, it be some over the top stuff just a bunch of unrestrained superhumans laying waste on the badguy.

My main concern though is potentially going the Guardians route of making them ****-ups. They aren't supposed to be losers, they are more...... monsters that cannonball through whatever pisses them off.

Not the best comparison but its how like how John Wick is about this professional warrior who just barrels through an entire army of fuckers through his epic skills and ****. Midnighter is one man death man and he's technically one of the weaker members of the team.
    Can Gunn depict a team or group of people that isn't dysfunctional? That's why I thought he was such an odd fit for Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Just found out that the heroes won't have origin stories. They'll already be established in Gunn's universe like the JLU cartoon.
    Honestly, the belief that we were ever getting a hard reboot with origin stories was more a theory than anything based in actual fact.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can Gunn depict a team or group of people that isn't dysfunctional? That's why I thought he was such an odd fit for Superman.
    i don't view. superman as functional person out there.He literally sits on the cloud and behaves like metropolis's dad.He has the most massive savior complex.Sure,the guy can be harmless.That's cause the guy is afraid to do anything or touch anything fearing it might break.

Superman is functional when something like an american alien comes along.Donner superman, silverage-bronze age guy..etc are all train wrecks waiting to happen.postcrisis guy would live with his facade and nostalgia ridden world view.Goldenage guy's problems are out in the open.So he's like batman.He might get help or die doing something crazy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-29-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Really? Because in the DCU, we have had girlfriends murdered and stuffed in refrigerators, sidekicks being to beaten to death with crowbars and/or becoming addicted to narcotics, superheroes framing each other for murder, heroes transforming into supervillains themselves and committing atrocities, heroes committing "magic lobotomies" of villains, etc. And that's all while Batman and Superman have...existed. Honestly, the idea that anything is "too edgy" for comic book movies/universes is very outdated.
    That's true, but not all at once. Those 'edgy' stories are spread out across different franchises, across time.

The Authority concentrates all of that edginess into one condensed experience, which is less palatable. Movies/comics can handle one 'fridged love interest', but if every character has a backstory of trauma (alien abduction! heroin addict gains tech-suit! homosexuals brainwashed into blackops kill squad! a second drug addict gains magical power!) plus the things that happen to the heroes (rape, torture, etc), then that becomes a little farcical.

Gunn teasing the Terrifics?

God I hope so, I would freaking love a Terrifics movie/series. I’m so excited at the idea of Gunn building up the non-JL teams so we can get some proper pillars in the DCU.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    i don't view. superman as functional person out there.He literally sits on the cloud and behaves like metropolis's dad.He has the most massive savior complex.Sure,the guy can be harmless.That's cause the guy is afraid to do anything or touch anything fearing it might break.

Superman is functional when something like an american alien comes along.Donner superman, silverage-bronze age guy..etc are all train wrecks waiting to happen.postcrisis guy would live with his facade and nostalgia ridden world view.Goldenage guy's problems are out in the open.So he's like batman.He might get help or die doing something crazy.
    I don't see it. Guy is a fairly well-adjusted and well-raised person who likes doing the right thing and helping people. I don't think it's super complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gunn teasing the Terrifics?

God I hope so, I would freaking love a Terrifics movie/series. I’m so excited at the idea of Gunn building up the non-JL teams so we can get some proper pillars in the DCU.
    I'd rather the Terrifics than Strange Adventures.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    That's true, but not all at once. Those 'edgy' stories are spread out across different franchises, across time.

The Authority concentrates all of that edginess into one condensed experience, which is less palatable. Movies/comics can handle one 'fridged love interest', but if every character has a backstory of trauma (alien abduction! heroin addict gains tech-suit! homosexuals brainwashed into blackops kill squad! a second drug addict gains magical power!) plus the things that happen to the heroes (rape, torture, etc), then that becomes a little farcical.
    Then how does one explain the critical success of The Authority in the comics? We assume that comic readers' tastes somehow drastically diverge from average moviegoers and that's not necessarily or even really the case most of the time. When it's executed well, people are not turned off by things that go into dark subject matter. If anything, I think audiences might be getting tired of the sanitized, family-friendly takes on some of these characters and franchises. Don't get me wrong: those can be great. But that purely escapist mindset of "I just want superheroes to be fun" doesn't really match where we are now in society. I think, to survive, we need things a little darker.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Superman: Legacy will basically be the litmus test for Gunn

Superman is unlike his Guardian and Suicide Squad movies, so if he manages to get it right then Gunn will have proven himself able to do stuff outside his wheelhouse

Incredible Member

Then how does one explain the critical success of The Authority in the comics? We assume that comic readers' tastes somehow drastically diverge from average moviegoers and that's not necessarily or even really the case most of the time. When it's executed well, people are not turned off by things that go into dark subject matter. If anything, I think audiences might be getting tired of the sanitized, family-friendly takes on some of these characters and franchises. Don't get me wrong: those can be great. But that purely escapist mindset of "I just want superheroes to be fun" doesn't really match where we are now in society. I think, to survive, we need things a little darker.
    I don't entirely disagree with your view, I was moreso pointing out that those examples of main continuity DC/Marvel was not concentrated into one franchise all at once. I was viewing it through the lens of a frog slowly boiling in a pot of "dark" water vs being thrown into an already boiling pot of darkness.

The success of the standalone Joker movie, the acceptance of a serial-killer-esque Riddler, shows that audiences can handle these darker takes. That shows that there is an appetite in the movies for this.

Probably the closest equivalent to the Authority would be how (seemingly) successful Amazon's The Boys is. The argument there would be the same that a 'dark comic was successful in being turned into a dark TV show."

I do disagree with your last sentence. Things don't need to be darker; there just needs to be more variation in the types/tones of movies we are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

To start with...

It was not actually an alien abduction.

Past that, Apollo/The Midnighter signed up for that team.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't see it. Guy is a fairly well-adjusted and well-raised person who likes doing the right thing and helping people. I don't think it's super complicated.
    The guy's motive is "saving the world".Unless you are 8 year old, that's not well adjusted behaviour.Comics don't have complicated story telling,unless some really talented writer gets hold of things.But, that's not the point.The point simple person doesn't mean well adjusted.He's not well raised either he literally depended on his parents.So much so he keeps a shadow of his dead parent to tutor him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Superman: Legacy will basically be the litmus test for Gunn

Superman is unlike his Guardian and Suicide Squad movies, so if he manages to get it right then Gunn will have proven himself able to do stuff outside his wheelhouse
    Depends on version of superman.Jesus superman is unlike anything gunn does.Robin hood superman is something like the guardians.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-29-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

returns mos.jpg

Came across this on Facebook and I think it really sums up the dilemma Gunn will undoubtedly face with Superman Legacy, and possibly the DCU as a whole.

I don't disagree with you. And that's what I loved about MOS, and about the direction in which Snyder was taking the DCEU (which wasn't 100% dark...if anything Justice League is a pretty optimistic story about heroes bringing light back into the world after a period of darkness). But general audiences and a pretty significant and vocal part of the fanbase didn't dig it.

There's a belief that 'darkness' is something that should be reserved for characters like Batman, and the rest of the DCU should be much more light-hearted, family-friendly stuff. Now there is some truth in this - you can't approach every DC film as you would a Batman film, and nor should you. But taken to its extremes, this line of thought would mean that other heroes could end up with mediocre light-hearted fluff while Batman gets all the emotional complexity and realism. I'm oversimplifying a few things here of course, but you get the gist.

The guy's motive is "saving the world".Unless you are 8 year old, that's not well adjusted behaviour.Comics don't have complicated story telling,unless some really talented writer gets hold of things.But, that's not the point.The point simple person doesn't mean well adjusted.He's not well raised either he literally depended on his parents.So much so he keeps a shadow of his dead parent to tutor him.

Depends on version of superman.Jesus superman is unlike anything gunn does.Robin hood superman is something like the guardians.
    Hate to break it to you, but I think Gunn's Superman is likely to be closer to what you call 'Jesus Superman' than the 'Robin Hood Superman' based on what we've been told so far. There's a lot on the line with Superman Legacy and neither Gunn nor DC/WB are going to go for any perceived 'risky' takes.

The good news is that with the focus on both Superman's human and Kryptonian families, we're at least not getting a complete retread of Donner. Maybe something a little closer to S&L?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

No, no version of Superman is like the Guardians.

They are a bunch of degenerate loud crude assholes, and thats not me hating on them. They are supposed to be these loutish thugs who get into bar fights and care mostly for profit along with just generally having a juvenile sense of humor.

Star-Lord in the first film makes a jizz joke, telling Gamora she should black-light his whole ship if she wants to see something gross. The obvious implication of such a joke is that Quill masturbated in his ship so many times most of it is stained white which even Rocket notes is a disgusting thing to joke about. Do you actually see or want Superman making jokes about how destructive his semen is when he ejaculates after jerking off?

There is literally no comparison between them and Superman. Robin Hood Superman being more "hard" does not make them the same, they are still widely different characters.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 03-29-2023 at 11:06 PM.