Page 477 of 497 FirstFirst ... 377427467473474475476477478479480481487 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,155 of 7454

Thread: DCU Movies

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I guess Raven confirmed
    It's kinda obvious, she's the most popular Titan among those, who is not Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's kinda obvious, she's the most popular Titan among those, who is not Robin.
    Starfire is the one getting the most chatter on Twitter right now post movie announcement though (Raven is also trending but then many of those tweets are also about the actual bird raven and Edgar Allan Poe's gothic short story The Raven )

Twitter also makes it seem like Starfire has a much bigger black fanbase than Cyborg, interestingly enough. Poor Vic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I know James Gunn is your boogeyman, but you act like reading a comic book takes a lot of effort. All he has to do is read one on his iPad or whatever when he's on a plane. It's not that deep. Even if he didn't read all of those runs, just the fact that he is talking about it is good for the industry.
    It's not about effort. Most people think comic books are childish and lame, and this is why practically every director of a comic book movie wants to ""fix" the comic book stories and make them edgy or gritty enough to be palatable for the mainstream audience. Or in some cases, strip the original comic of all its themes and undertones, making a bland, corporate approved product.

I doubt a Hollywood director would spend his free time reading comic books unless he is researching for a project.

Fantastic Member

It's also hilarious how fans think Gunn will give them a sincere, hopeful Superman when his idea for TSS was to have the squad fight an evil brainwashed Superman and beat him up in the final battle. The only reason it didn't work was because of continuity issues.

Gunn seems fundamentally more interested in twisted, grimdark interpretations of heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman (remember him posting an image of angry, blood soaked Diana on Wonder Woman's Day), so I fully expect DCU to go along the same lines as Snyder's DCEU did.

But I will be content as long as actually good adaptations like MAWS keep coming.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Starfire is the one getting the most chatter on Twitter right now post movie announcement though (Raven is also trending but then many of those tweets are also about the actual bird raven and Edgar Allan Poe's gothic short story The Raven )

Twitter also makes it seem like Starfire has a much bigger black fanbase than Cyborg, interestingly enough. Poor Vic.
    Only because its arguments that Starfire is black which is funny considering all the little mermaid debacle last year

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah. Whole argument here is that Gunn is faking his love for comics to get the support from comics reading part of the fandom.
    More exaggerating than faking, but I realize it's easier to oversimplify what people are saying than deal in nuance. I mostly just referenced actual things he's said and how many times he's been dishonest or misleading in his comments and maybe people shouldn't blindly buy everything the guy is selling. I think healthy skepticism towards any CEO selling a product is probably a good thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    It's also hilarious how fans think Gunn will give them a sincere, hopeful Superman when his idea for TSS was to have the squad fight an evil brainwashed Superman and beat him up in the final battle. The only reason it didn't work was because of continuity issues.

Gunn seems fundamentally more interested in twisted, grimdark interpretations of heroes like Superman and Wonder Woman (remember him posting an image of angry, blood soaked Diana on Wonder Woman's Day), so I fully expect DCU to go along the same lines as Snyder's DCEU did.

But I will be content as long as actually good adaptations like MAWS keep coming.
    Like I said, whatever Gunn's personal tastes are, I'm sure he's not going to do a "grimdark" Superman because he's not a fool and he knows how divisive Snyder's take was. If anything, I worry it'll be an overcorrection and we're going to get a very saccharine, overly soft and sentimental Superman.

I don't think Gunn has a deep love of Superman or any particular reverence for the source material, but I also don't think he's an idiot who's going to repeat Snyder's mistakes in such an obvious way. He's in charge of DC Studios now, so he's got a lot more skin in the game than when he was making TSS.

I obviously have my misgivings about Gunn, but nothing he's said about his Superman movie gives the slightest inkling its going to be dark and edgy. Quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Only because its arguments that Starfire is black which is funny considering all the little mermaid debacle last year
    There was a whole thread though regarding how Koriand'r and the Tamaraneans were originally black coded since NTT. And early artists took inspirations from 80s and 90s black supermodels like Naomi Campbell while drawing her.

BANNED

There was a whole thread though regarding how Koriand'r and the Tamaraneans were originally black coded since NTT. And early artists took inspirations from 80s and 90s black supermodels like Naomi Campbell while drawing her.
    I always find it weird how people take umbrage at a black person playing Starfire, as if an orange-skinned alien woman has to be played by a white person. She's an orange-skinned alien. She has no race or ethnicity that exists on Earth. She's not white or black or anything else (although coded black, as you said). Any woman of any race could conceivably play her.

The people complaining are just dumb people who see white as the default for everything.

This is the twitter headcanon ever since Anna Diop became Starfire in the Titans show.
    George Perez was inspired by a ton of women when he created Starfire, including his wife, but none of them were black.

We can read his on words in the reddit thread bellow.

I don't really care if the actress will be black or white, as long as she is beautiful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...d_starfire_on/
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The way the DCU is turning out is interesting. The Authority already exists, the Teen Titans already exist, The Suicide Squad likely is semi-canon as well.

The real question is the Justice League. I don't believe they don't already exist to some degree. Likely it will be like Post-Crisis DC where it's just a bunch of B-listers who get their ass kicked so the "real Justice League" comes back ala Morrison.
    I assumed the other heroes in Superman (2025) are JL members.

An interesting bit, Superman (Legacy) will film briefly in Cincinnati this Summer. Perhaps they are going to turn the Union Terminal in Cincinnati into the Hall of Justice?

Some very vocal people on social media I noticed are arguing Raven should be brown because she is ‘Indian’????

Azarathians had some Indian themes to their garb, but they were from everywhere including Gotham. They certainly weren’t defined by a skin color.

I think companies would be best to simply focus on telling a good story and ignore people on social media focused on identity over content.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-16-2024 at 09:21 AM.

As Morbius showed listening to twitter is the peak of foolishness. Social media represents nobody, while ironically people on it pretend to represent and speak for everybody. It's farcical.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-16-2024 at 09:32 AM.

Boy this argument about Gunn is definitely way more interesting to read than the thousand times it's been hashed out on here before.

Extraordinary Member

The dcu.

Chapter 1
    There will be 8 films and 8 shows.
    Projects so far.

Chapter One: Gods and Monsters
    Films

Superman
    The Authority
    The Brave and the Bold
    Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow
    Swamp Thing