Page 480 of 497 FirstFirst ... 380430470476477478479480481482483484490 ... LastLast
Results 7,186 to 7,200 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

For a long time there were complaints that Hollywood always casts black actors as aliens.

Now people are gonna be pissed if Starfire isn’t played by a black actress. Funny world.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/holl...ck-actors.html

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The problem is, goth girl is a mainstream perception of Raven: animated series, DCAMU (if she's deaged to Damian's age, then beware of Damian/Raven shippers), even godawful live action show. And they're gonna try to make this as appealing as possible to younger demographics. And for younger demographics those versions are definitive.
    There is nothing wrong with Raven being goth in the '03 series or currently on Teen Titans Go. But, it's very limiting in the comics as an identity.

Raven's take in NTT was at her core an Azarathian trying to fit into Earth which was a made-up identity by its creator with its own philosophy, ideology, etc. Raven's take in New 52 was more a citizen of Trigon's vast realm at her core trying to fit into life on Earth.

The live action TV show was kind of a goth girl with a dark side at least in the episodes I watched. Teen Titans Go. Well, they have fun mixing and matching.

As for who Raven dates? I don't care. Both Beast Boy and Damian offer something as would a love triangle. Both shipper fanbases happen to be large, vibrant, and active which are good things for selling comics and merch for DC. One should win for a while until it gets tired and then the other wins and the character have a different ship in different mediums.

As for Raven's age it will probably be a teenager in the first two or three movies if they get that many (before aging up with time) which will probably bleed over to the comics, but I don't particularly care as they bounce Raven's age around constantly as it is. If movie induced synergy returns her again to 15 it will only be a couple years until she is aged up again as the actress she plays ages.

Starting Raven in the films with an actress not in her teens or looking like it would be a bad idea as you have to expect a decade or longer of the character playing Raven if she is successful.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-16-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Always thought Ella Balinska would be perfect for Starfire, but I don't know if she is getting too old for the role if they want the cast to be younger. She will probably be close to 30 by the time the movie comes out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I always find it weird how people take umbrage at a black person playing Starfire, as if an orange-skinned alien woman has to be played by a white person. She's an orange-skinned alien. She has no race or ethnicity that exists on Earth. She's not white or black or anything else (although coded black, as you said). Any woman of any race could conceivably play her.
    Because it's NOT about Starfire or even a race swapped person it's about a black person getting work that offends some. A white actress would not have gotten all that crap over playing Starfire on that show.

The people complaining are just dumb people who see white as the default for everything.
    The thing is the majority of your projects are default white cast.

That is who tends to show up at those castings the most unless it's stated the role is for a certain race.

Most actors of color tend to not bother with certain casting calls and that is how you sometimes wind up with that one POC who shows up and gets the role.

Because most think if they don't see a race listed-the role is meant to be white. While some have gone to said castings and got told that to their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Always thought Ella Balinska would be perfect for Starfire, but I don't know if she is getting too old for the role if they want the cast to be younger. She will probably be close to 30 by the time the movie comes out.
    Depends on how old they wanna depict the characters. We’re clearly getting a more lived in DC Universe this time since we’re getting Damian in the Batman movie. If Dick is already Nightwing, Ella could pass for a 20-something Starfire.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because it's NOT about Starfire or even a race swapped person it's about a black person getting work that offends some. A white actress would not have gotten all that crap over playing Starfire on that show.

The thing is the majority of your projects are default white cast.

That is who tends to show up at those castings the most unless it's stated the role is for a certain race.

Most actors of color tend to not bother with certain casting calls and that is how you sometimes wind up with that one POC who shows up and gets the role.

Because most think if they don't see a race listed-the role is meant to be white. While some have gone to said castings and got told that to their face.
    Hey, man, I'm on your side here. I get it.

All the sources so far have said the project is Teen Titans not Titans.

In the best case for the films success they could get 2 or 3 films out of the Teen Titans before they become the Titans.

A successful franchise should plan to be around in a decade.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-16-2024 at 04:38 PM.

Raven in the original NTT often wore a sari and the design choices of Azarath had a lot of Indian influences. George Perez said he initially based her features Persis Khambatta and later switched to another actress. So I wouldn't mind if an actress of South Asian descent played Raven.

Starfire is an orange alien. She could be played by anyone of any race.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    If it isnt 1 or 2...KEEEP IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The problem is, goth girl is a mainstream perception of Raven: animated series, DCAMU (if she's deaged to Damian's age, then beware of Damian/Raven shippers), even godawful live action show. And they're gonna try to make this as appealing as possible to younger demographics. And for younger demographics those versions are definitive.
    I dont think it is a problem. They don't need to go with the most relevant option. They should have a good inbetween if anything but it isnt going to be the animated version so it isnt going to easily draw kids. This will be PG-13 and while they could cast 13 year olds....I dont see it happening.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 03-16-2024 at 05:09 PM.

Number 1 is what i actually want. Wolfman\Perez team.

It would be awesome for Marv Wolfman to see his team on the big screen, it's too bad George won't be there to see it too.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

All the sources so far have said the project is Teen Titans not Titans.

In the best case for the films success they could get 2 or 3 films out of the Teen Titans before they become the Titans.

A successful franchise should plan to be around in a decade.
    Teen Titans doesn’t preclude having some older members tho since there was already established precedent in the Geoff Johns run and the DCMU flicks. If it’s not a flashback starring a young Dick Grayson, then I am expecting the Johns/DCMU setup where it’s some of the older veteran Titans training the newest generation of teenage superheroes.

Especially with it looking likely that there’s already a Justice League of some sort in existence in the Superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Honestly I think there's a chance Wally might already be Flash in the DCU.
    Good call. Remember, Green Lantern bombed so hard in 2011 that it effectively killed any chance of Hal Jordan being a solo leading man for the foreseeable future, with both the unmade DCEU GL reboot and the upcoming HBO show being buddy cop projects instead.

Flash bombed even harder, so I wonder what this means for the character of Barry Allen going forward. Will he be considered similarly radioactive?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Teen Titans doesn’t preclude having some older members tho since there was already established precedent in the Geoff Johns run and the DCMU flicks. If it’s not a flashback starring a young Dick Grayson, then I am expecting the Johns/DCMU setup where it’s some of the older veteran Titans training the newest generation of teenage superheroes.

Especially with it looking likely that there’s already a Justice League of some sort in existence in the Superman movie.
    True Kori and Dick were 20 somethings in the animated movies.

If the Bat Family is fully established in this universe, a Teen Titans project could be the place to showcase Tim Drake. Then in subsequent movies, depending how popular Damian turns out to be on screen, he could try and take over the team.

Alternatively, they skip Jason and Tim entirely. Damian officially becomes Robin in the 'Brave and the Bold' movie and Dick becomes Nightwing.

I don't know how I feel about the DC movie universe starting off this late into Batman's career. Feels like film Batman is either just starting out or starting to feel his age. I would have preferred a set up akin to TNBA but with Jason instead of Tim-as-Jason. With subsequent movies plus shows adapting story arcs like Death In the Family, Knightfall, Contagion and No Man's Land. But that's just me.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly