Page 20 of 499 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I’d be equally opposed to appeasing Bible thumpers by blacklisting actors who say anything that offends that group. So nationalism has nothing to do with it. And I don’t see anyone currently doing that in any case, or proposing here that it be done. So I’m addressing the topic at hand.

You seem to conflate “shaping content to appeal to ticket-buying demographics” with “blacklisting artists to appease a dictator,” as if they all obviously come under the same heading of “courting demos.” There is clearly a distinction to be drawn between the two policies.
    Sorry - I lost track of the thread and didn't realize you were discussing blacklisting actors. I thought you were discussing the other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Hollywood Reporter update on the situation:

So Cavill was planned to return in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Gunn bringing back Deathstroke is believable. He is friends with Joe Manganiello, concept art shows he intended him to be the lead of The Suicide Squad until he was replaced with Bloodsport and he even recently complained in an Instagram AMA that nobody was using DCEU Deathstroke lol.
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 12-09-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Do you think Gunn and Safran would put out a timeline of the movies they'll make? Divide them in phases 1 to 3 like the MCU?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    From what I gather

Flashpoint was supposed to lead into COIE by stranding affleck Batman in the multiverse, while setting up a long term status quo shift that would have lived by COIE if it was well-received

The post-flashpoint dc universe would have been a mess of nostalgic and snyder iconography that would have paradoxically have allowed filmmakers to have more freedom

One of the earliest rumors being that a version of superman(implied to be Reeves or Henry) would go into retirement in Smallville to raise his family with lois while supergirl took his place
    Okay, I hadn't heard about Affleck's Batman being "stranded in the Multiverse" or that COIE was coming along. I'd heard about the rest though, and thought it was mostly rumors.

This just seems like a total clusterf#ck though where they were going to through stuff into the Multiversal blender and see what sticks. Again, COIE is more than just some big crossover where you have multiversal team-ups and reboot the timeline - it's an actual story that's a culmination of sorts of the DC story so far. That's true of Flashpoint as well - at its core its a story about Barry and how his attempt to save his mother nearly doomed the universe, and about his enmity with Thawne, and Thomas Wayne's attempts to save his own son (and I hope all of this makes it to the movie in some form, even if the characters of Thawne and Thomas Wayne don't seem to be around). The timeline shenanigans and cosmic reset isn't supposed to be the pivot around which the story turns!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    Here is the philosophy that I think we are gonna be seeing moving forward

Same faces…different universe

The next Henry Superman movie, if it happens, will be set in its own continuity that belongs to Gunn, ditto to Wonder Woman and anyone else

Just as Superman and Lois isn’t set in the arrowverse
    Yeah, I'm kinda hoping for that. I think Cavill definitely deserves another chance. I'd like to see him play a veteran, established Superman ala the version of Kal-El from the late Post-COIE era or the Rebirth era of the comics...truly emerging as the leader of the superhero community rather than just the powerhouse or martyr he's been so far.

With Wonder Woman, I think even if they keep Gadot, due to the mystical nature of the character's mythos there's scope to 'recast' her in-universe. My current pet theory is Gadot's Wonder Woman dying/being destroyed in her next solo film, and Hippolyta recreating her in clay and her being resurrected by the Gods in that way, with a slightly different body. In a way its kinda what happened to her after COIE - she was killed and reverted back to clay, and in-universe that set the stage for her to be 'rebooted' in her Post-COIE avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I doubt that would have actually happened. They bring him back for what? A brief cameo before they hard rebooted the universe? And if the intention was to work with Cavill, why deny him a chance at another solo? This just reads like Hamada trying to cover for himself to be frank. They might have made Cavill an offer for CoIE but I bet it wouldn’t have been what he wanted and he wouldn’t have returned.

As for the rest it looks like everything is on pause for the moment until next week when Gunn & Safran unveil their plan to Zaslav.
    Yeah, Cavill returning in COIE as the big event makes little sense, especially as Cavill is notionally the 'current' Superman. If you wanted a past Superman to return and play the 'Kal-L' role there, someone like Brandon Routh would make way more sense. And again, COIE isn't really just about cameos - there has to be a cohesive story, and that cohesive story is built on the back of a well-developed universe.

The original COIE was a culmination of nearly 50 years of DC storytelling. The Arrowverse COIE was a culmination of over 7 years of storytelling on TV. What would this cinematic COIE be a culmination of exactly?

Lots of fun stuff for WB lately. lmao
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-10-2022 at 02:02 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    What would this cinematic COIE be a culmination of exactly?
    40 years of live action DC adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer were going to reunite for Batman Beyond.

Seems like people are coming out of the woodwork to bury Gunn and Safran.
    I mean, those guys were hired to streamline the films. Where does a Keaton/Pfeiffer featuring Batman Beyond film factor into what they are building?

It does seem like the older regime at WB was so clueless that they were literally throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks (other than Titans, surprisingly).

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Just give Cavill his stand-alone Superman movie as a send-off and also reboot at the same time.

Seriously, what the hell. Then both sides are happy.
    I don't understand why this is so difficult as messy as the theatrical cut of JL was they essentially got rid of the ZS baggage so they effectively had a clean slate for Superman.

How we got a Pattinson Batman and solo Joker off the ground before another solo Supes is beyond belief
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Do you think Gunn and Safran would put out a timeline of the movies they'll make? Divide them in phases 1 to 3 like the MCU?
    There is zero chance they'd do anything that expansive this early on. The initial "phase 1" announcement of the MCU was a mere six films, and that only got announced to the public after Iron Man had a huge opening weekend and showed there was actual interest in a shared Marvel movieverse.

The DCEU also has an unfortunate history of doing these types of announcements because they just end up becoming meme fodder when certain things wind up not happening. There will definitely be some kind of public announcement, maybe at Comic-Con, but there's no way they're gonna announce all ten years worth of movies in one go.

If Gunn and Safran had any hope of keeping their plan under wraps until they were ready for an official reveal, they’re SOL because their presentation next week is definitely going to leak.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    No. Their plan will likely get changed should their first film flop. They dont need another repeat of what happened with Snyder.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Hollywood Reporter update on the situation:

So Cavill was planned to return in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    See I dont believe a thing about Hamada trying to bring Cavill back. Its been noted he was against it. It wouldnt have taken The Rock going above Hamada to bring him back if that it were already in the works.

Yeah that part just made me scratch my head. Why would The Rock do that if Hamada had a "long-range plan" to bring back Cavill. FWIW, Ray Fisher was really good at calling out the trades on trying to paint WB in a positive light. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-10-2022 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah that part just made me scratch my head. Why would The Rock do that if Hamada had a "long-range plan" to bring back Cavill. FWIW, Ray Fisher was really good at calling out the trades on trying to paint WB in a positive light. lol
    The thing about the trades is that they rely on people working at WB to share details on what’s going on, so the people who share information get portrayed better. Deadline for example is biased towards the Rock. THR and Variety are much more favorable towards Hamada and Abrams. They’ll run cover for their guys as long as those camps keep sharing information.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Hamada not wanting Cavill to cameo in BA and him wanting him back for a Crisis themed movie were both written by THR's Borys Kit. They both show how much of mess that make no sense was Cavill's situation, lol.

Hamada's plans was to have Cavill on hold long term with a Crisis film (it was likely The Flash sequel or a movie being set by that sequel) being used for Cavill's return.

The Rock wanted Cavill back now not in 2025/6 or when this Crisis thing would've happened.