Page 186 of 497 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

I guess what gets me is that, even if it wasn't the best movie, I'm not sure it really deserved to do this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess what gets me is that, even if it wasn't the best movie, I'm not sure it really deserved to do this bad.
    It certainly got judged harsher than it would have if it had released a year prior. Critics and the general audience are raising their standards, it’s no longer enough for a superhero movie to be “fun” and “colorful”. Both Ant-Man 3 and Shazam 2 are simply the victims of a new era where superhero films are going to have to try harder. Going with generic villains was a bad call and I do think what little marketing there was for this film was terrible.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Wow the world famous Dc superhero team - "The Authority" is getting a movie.

WTH is James Gunn doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    Let him cook.

The Authority is exactly what we need to break up the monotony of superhero movies.

Extraordinary Member

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    Why is it that the fans who have been complaining for years that DC only gives Batman and Superman the spotlight are now complaining that DC is giving other heroes some love?

Honestly, it's mind-boggling how some fanbases can literally never be satisfied even when you give them exactly what they said they wanted.

James Gunn is giving fans exactly what they've been asking for for years. The exact same thing he did for Marvel and what made him a household name in the first place.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-27-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Peacemaker actually played a significant role in Jaime’s first series. I would love to see Cena show up in a post credits scene.

As far as his age it seems like they’re making him older in the movie. rumor is that Jaime has just graduated from college when the film starts. So 22-23 years old. Xolo is only 21 so he’ll be able to play “early 20s” for a while. If the new Superman is mid to late 20s and Batman is in his early 30s the timeline could still work. If they bring Ted in they could just make him a bit younger or say he had a late start to his superhero career.

I’m totally fine with Jaime being a little older. If he’s going to be DC’s most prominent Hispanic superhero I think it would be great if he’s eventually allowed to stand shoulder to shoulder with the “adults” and not always be the inexperienced teen hero who needs Batman or Ted Kord to constantly bail him out of trouble.
    If James Gunn's Batman already has Damian (his 10-year old son) as his Robin, Bruce would have to be in his mid-30s at the very least. Very possibly late 30s to early 40s. In most continuities, Bruce doesn't start being Batman until he's in his early-to-mid-20s and I'm assuming he'd need a few years at least under his belt before he met Ra's and Talia.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-27-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Why is it that the fans who have been complaining for years that DC only gives Batman and Superman the spotlight are now complaining that DC is giving other heroes some love?

Honestly, it's mind-boggling how some fanbases can literally never be satisfied even when you give them exactly what they said they wanted.

James Gunn is giving fans exactly what they've been asking for for years. The exact same thing he did for Marvel and what made him a household name in the first place.
    Nothing new, people say they want more diversity in comics, but then nobody shows up when DC (or another comapany) tries to publish more diverse material.

If James Gunn's Batman already has Damian (his 10-year old son) as his Robin, Bruce would have to be in his mid-30s at the very least. Very possibly late 30s to early 40s. In most continuities, Bruce doesn't start being Batman until he's in his early-to-mid-20s and I'm assuming he'd need a few years at least under his belt before he met Ra's and Talia.
    They could say that he knocked up Talia when he was younger and traveling the world, training with everyone including Ra’s and the League of Shadows/Assassins. Young Bruce has a fling with the daughter of the Demon and 10 years later she introduces him to Damian.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    Authority is exactly the kinda grand narrative opposite side that the likes of superman and batman need...No body would care for a mindless movie with justice league with no stakes or complexity. "mwahaha!" Villains being attractive isn't the case.A story with protagonists and antagonists rather than heroes and villains would be much more liked i believe.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-27-2023 at 11:49 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

They could say that he knocked up Talia when he was younger and traveling the world, training with everyone including Ra’s and the League of Shadows/Assassins. Young Bruce has a fling with the daughter of the Demon and 10 years later she introduces him to Damian.
    That would be my guess, too. Ever since Batman Begins, the idea that Bruce trained with Ra's during his Pre-Batman years is already well established. Having him unwittingly knock up Talia during his youth only to have 10 year old Damian appear while he's still relatively young is a smart way of introducing Batman's son without ageing Bruce too much.

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    Well, the world famous DC superhero team was a colossal flop, so maybe what actually matters is the quality of the movie and not how "famous" the characters are?

Astonishing Member

WTH is James Gunn doing?
    Actually, The Authority can be sold to a mass audience with the right approach. People love anti heroes, these characters, especially Midnighter can easily become fan-favorites.

I don't even think of the Authority as a DC team, really, but in a climate where The Boys are super popular they probably have their place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That would be my guess, too. Ever since Batman Begins, the idea that Bruce trained with Ra's during his Pre-Batman years is already well established. Having him unwittingly knock up Talia during his youth only to have 10 year old Damian appear while he's still relatively young is a smart way of introducing Batman's son without ageing Bruce too much.
    To be honest if this Batman is as experienced as he probably is there's likely a chance he's gone through all the typical Al Ghul stuff he did in the comics.

He's likely to have already gone through two sidekicks already so they'll probably age him one way or another. This isn't going to be a fresh-faced, young, Batman because that's what Pattinson is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Authority is exactly the kinda grand narrative opposite side that the likes of superman and batman need...No body would care for a mindless movie with justice league with no stakes or complexity. "mwahaha!" Villains being attractive isn't the case.A story with protagonists and antagonists rather than heroes and villains would be much more liked i believe.
    I don't think it's a matter of concept so much as execution. I don't think the general audience would make that much of a distinction.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yeah, the actual film had no cameos just the usual references to the key JL characters (+Kara) we hear in every DC project.

From my POV, the "main connection" to the DCEU is that BB is part of a universe where superheroes are "old". Ted has to be some guy in his 50s no longer active (he is MIA for awhile) while Jaime (a 20 something) was meant to belong to a new generation of heroes like Supergirl, Batgirl, The Wonder Twins (all characters that were going to be introduced around the same year). If Gunn's Superman is in his 20s, it'll be a weird fit, imo.
    Peacemaker actually played a significant role in Jaime’s first series. I would love to see Cena show up in a post credits scene.

As far as his age it seems like they’re making him older in the movie. rumor is that Jaime has just graduated from college when the film starts. So 22-23 years old. Xolo is only 21 so he’ll be able to play “early 20s” for a while. If the new Superman is mid to late 20s and Batman is in his early 30s the timeline could still work. If they bring Ted in they could just make him a bit younger or say he had a late start to his superhero career.

I’m totally fine with Jaime being a little older. If he’s going to be DC’s most prominent Hispanic superhero I think it would be great if he’s eventually allowed to stand shoulder to shoulder with the “adults” and not always be the inexperienced teen hero who needs Batman or Ted Kord to constantly bail him out of trouble.
    Gunn has already said his DCU will be one where heroes have been established for a while (not to mention it being a soft-reboot of the DCEU). Also, the idea that Superman would be in his 20's is an assumption fans (including those on this forum) made...there's been no official statement, to my knowledge, on that score.

Since Damian is around and will be at least 10 (but honestly, probably a bit older, realistically speaking...so maybe 12-13), I think the DCU's Batman will be in his late 30's, if not over-40. Superman will probably be in his early-to-mid 30's. So there would already be a long enough history of superheroics for Jaime to be a 'second-generation' hero.

In any case, I think it's a bit futile to expect adaptations to replicate precisely the timelines/generations of the comics (which are themselves sometimes a mess). In the DCAU, for instance, Superman started his career roughly around the same time as Tim became Robin and Dick became Nightwing, with Batman having already been around for a decade-plus. The DCEU turned Barry Allen into a kid being mentored by Bruce Wayne. In the DCAMU, apparently, Barry Allen was the original Kid Flash who was part of the OG Teen Titans, years before the Justice League was even formed! (Not explicitly mentioned in any of the films, but Google it...it's for real!)

This always brings me back to the backlash against MOS and the Snyderverse. Yes, some of the criticisms were valid, but the fact is that the man was trying to do something different. But his vision was rejected because it was too 'dark' and 'grim'.

So DC/WB pivoted away from that towards more light-hearted 'classic' superhero movies, in the vein of the MCU - Shazam being an example. But now it seems audiences are tired of that as well.

I guess it's just impossible to predict what audience tastes are in this genre. One thing's clear - the movie needs to really knock it out of the park and be universally beloved to not be considered a 'failure' of some sort...