Page 18 of 489 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    Hasn't really worked out for Patty Jenkins. Her Rogue Squadron film seems to be dead in the water as well
    To be fair

Disney probably realized that without luke, Han, or Leia…a Star Wars movie is guaranteed to flop

Especially after the sequel trilogy alienated general audiences whose love for Star Wars begins and ends with the OT3 and by limited degree the prequels

And that the characters from those two trilogies are the only things that sell
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 12-08-2022 at 11:50 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Gunn/Safran killed a BatKeaton-lead film written the past year by Christina Hodson (The Flash), it was a Batman Beyond movie (I think to establish Terry McGinnis as the new DCEU Batman taking over Keaton): https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status...32478596026370

Original source: https://youtu.be/Bzy219GBEjA

They are getting rid of Keaton from everything, I wouldn't be shocked if The Flash's ending get altered too next.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-09-2022 at 12:11 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Gunn/Safran killed a BatKeaton-lead film written the past year by Christina Hodson (The Flash), it was a Batman Beyond movie (I think to establish Terry McGinnis as the new DCEU Batman taking over Keaton): https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status...32478596026370

They are getting rid of Keaton from everything, I wouldn't be shocked if The Flash's ending get altered too next.
    This is why I am confident in hard reboot rumors

The only alternative is a DC universe without ANY Batman whatsoever

And Warner will NEVER allow that under any circumstances

So the next best thing is a hard reboot for the entire universe with a new Batman

I think it would have been cool if it was actually set in the future and Terry wasn’t going to be the current DCU Batman.

They haven’t even introduced Nightwing, Redhood, etc. They were just going to skip over a potential decades worth of Batman universe stories and go straight to Beyond.

This is where the shared universe and strict continuity sucks. Would have been great as an alternate universe story.

The more I read about Hamada's decisions the less I understand what he was trying to accomplish.

Like, the movies themselves were good for the most part, but if I had to judge him as the architect of a DC Cinematic Universe...man, what was he thinking? His decisions are even more non-sensical than Snyder's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dagothoth View Post
    This is why I am confident in hard reboot rumors

The only alternative is a DC universe without ANY Batman whatsoever

And Warner will NEVER allow that under any circumstances

So the next best thing is a hard reboot for the entire universe with a new Batman
    I guess the question is - who's going to be Batman?

It seemed like the plan was for it to be Keaton (then passing the mantle to a different character)? That's out now it seems. Recently, it seemed like Affleck might be back? That's out too now it seems.

Are they folding Pattison into the shared universe? Will he and Reeves agree? Or are we going with a new version entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The more I read about Hamada's decisions the less I understand what he was trying to accomplish.

Like, the movies themselves were good for the most part, but if I had to judge him as the architect of a DC Cinematic Universe...man, what was he thinking? His decisions are even more non-sensical than Snyder's.
    Actually, one advantage of Hamada's approach was that it was all about the Multiverse - so basically everyone could do what they wanted in their own little sandboxes. Hamada's approach delivered us Joker and The Batman. So I wouldn't entirely knock it.

Shared universes are hard. Marvel's the only one who's really pulled it off successfully and even their shared universe has limitations.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post

Hamada wanted a stop gap before the crisis movie rebooted everything

That was why Superman and Batman were replaced by sidekicks, why Batman was a 70 year old man, and why deepfake reeve was heavily considered at some point for the DCEU Superman along with I guess if you believe Pojema(a famous Reddit leaker who is credible) Nicolas cage Superman

Because all of it was a testing ground and a stop gap before the reboot power of crisis washed away the stuff that wasn’t sustainable or working
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 12-09-2022 at 01:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Hamada wanted a stop gap before the crisis movie rebooted everything

That was why Superman and Batman were replaced by sidekicks, why Batman was a 70 year old man, and why deepfake reeve was heavily considered at some point for the DCEU Superman along with I guess if you believe Pojema(a famous Reddit leaker who is credible) Nicolas cage Superman

Because all of it was a testing ground and a stop gap before the reboot power of crisis washed away the stuff that wasn’t sustainable or working
    Okay, this is the first I'm hearing of a COIE movie. I always thought Flashpoint was going to be Hamada's big reset.

Funnily enough, COIE isn't something you can just randomly put together to do a reboot. It's something you build up to. People tend to forget that because COIE is so strongly associated with continuity-rebooting. The actual COIE story was the culmination of decades of DC storytelling. The Multiverse-hopping and team-ups aren't really the focus of the story - it's about all of DC's heroes coming together to deal with one existential threat (and most of those heroes are familiar ones from the then-mainstream earth).

The Arrowverse recently did a COIE adaptation and it was a culmination of the stories of their characters across the shows - particularly Oliver Queen and Barry Allen. Yes, there were cameos from 'legacy' characters/actors but those weren't the core focus.

My point is that you need to have built something before you do COIE. How did Hamada, if this is true, propose to do COIE without a cohesive universe to start with? COIE requires a lot more than just having Affleck and Keaton team-up or Lynda Carter and (CGI) Christopher Reeve cameos!

To be fair

Disney probably realized that without luke, Han, or Leia…a Star Wars movie is guaranteed to flop

Especially after the sequel trilogy alienated general audiences whose love for Star Wars begins and ends with the OT3 and by limited degree the prequels

And that the characters from those two trilogies are the only things that sell
    I've stated in the SW Section my disdain for TLJ which I think is just a bad movie and my thoughts that TROS is a hobbled together mess. But the whole "Sequel Trilogy is a failure" thing is a fanboy delusional. All of the Sequel Trilogy were billion dollar hits at the box the so was Rogue One only Solo flopped.

Chapek had a no SW films mandate according to rumors but the sequel Trilogy wasn't a failure from a financial standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I guess the question is - who's going to be Batman?

It seemed like the plan was for it to be Keaton (then passing the mantle to a different character)? That's out now it seems. Recently, it seemed like Affleck might be back? That's out too now it seems.

Are they folding Pattison into the shared universe? Will he and Reeves agree? Or are we going with a new version entirely?
    Gunn should really find some way for Reeves and Pattison to agree. Having two Batmen running around at the same time is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Gunn should really find some way for Reeves and Pattison to agree. Having two Batmen running around at the same time is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense from a business standpoint.
    Well...it kinda makes sense from a business standpoint Though probably to the detriment of other characters/franchises.

I guess Hamada's plan was to have Keaton be the 'main' DCEU Batman but only appear in a supporting Nick Fury-esq capacity, while Pattison spearheaded his own little universe. The problem with that is that the actor who's the face of your new Batman franchise isn't representing it in your cinematic universe (and by extension, the Justice League), and your 'main' Batman is an aged version who's mainly there to perpetuate the legacy of 30+ year old movies (as much as I love and respect Keaton and Burton's work).

I do think that logistically folding Pattison's Batman into a rebooted DCEU makes the most sense - provided they do so in a way that allows the Reeves movies to remain tonally independent and exist without interference from the wider DCEU. Like, the odd easter egg, like a newspaper article about Superman (which was planned for The Batman but didn't show up in the final cut) is okay, but I don't want Superman showing up in a post-credits sequence asking Batman to join the Justice League...

If Reeves/Pattison don't play ball then I suppose a 'two-Batman' formula is the only way forward. But in that case, I'd prefer someone closer to Affleck's age-range than Keaton's. And a Batman who's totally very different from the Pattison version.

When asked about the story gunn responded--

Some things are true.

Some things are false.

Some things are kind of true.

Some things we don't know if they are true yet ourselves!
    That sounds to me more of a "new 52" or fox x-men "we keep what we want to change what we want" type soft reboot but not reboot to me.

Or gunn is just picking on everyone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know this website, but a lot of the language -- any opportunity for a subjective adjective and interpretation of events -- of this article paints the picture of WB being reasonable, but Jenkins reacting in a way that was unreasonable. Even their direct quote, (which is intended to appear more authentic) was from an anonymous "insider" - so, it doesn't mean ****.

I read a similar report where Jenkins declined to give a second pass to the script based on the new paradigm, but this article places the blame on Jenkins, as though she walked away. If anything, this reminds me of Edgar Wright walking away from Ant-Man because of certain concessions he was told to make for the sake of the MCU's larger story. Back then, Marvel was not respecting an "auteur," but with Jenkins, some people are trying to paint her as "unreasonable."
    Patty Jenkins reminds me of the Tim Burton Batman movies. Burton directed the first Batman to commercial success and was given free reign in the sequel. When the sequel was less successful, the WB wanted a different direction and Burton wanted to make more personal movies with less oversight.

After Wonder Woman: 1984, I think the WB has valid reasons to ask for changes to Jenkin's proposed WW3 treatment.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "It's not us, it's you".
    It's a good thing they said that lol! coz with Gunn ppl are already skeptical of his writing/directing of female characters.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough