Page 31 of 500 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Cavill doesn't need that much of your pity. He's fine. And Witcher was its own hellhole for the man.

Hard reboot! Hard reboot! I won't believe it until I see it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Film journalists are apparently being sent Blue Beetle posters with the tagline "This is just the beginning."

Leaks about the test screenings say there are no cameos and the only real references to the wider DC universe are offhanded mentions of Superman, Supergirl and the Flash. So if they want to have Blue Beetle be in the "new" universe, it could presumably be done relatively easily.
    Well, well, well that would be interesting as a fresh, new approach.

Astonishing Member

Well, however you may feel about the Snyderverse, today is a sad day. For Henry Cavill, and for those of his who loved his portrayal of Superman, which is nearing its 10th anniversary.

I do feel Snyder could have delivered on a great multi-film arc, had his worst excesses been reigned in by DC. But instead we got a watered-down Avengers-lite Justice League. Even so, Cavill's Superman was easily the best part of even that movie. And I do feel that the loose arc that Superman went through in those three movies set the stage for a more 'classic' take on the character moving forward. In general, as directionless as the post-JL DCEU was, it did produce some quality content - Aquaman, Shazam, The Suicide Squad. Personally I enjoyed the other movies as well. But not building on the ending of JL to 'retool' Cavill's Superman and take him in a new direction was a huge missed opportunity!

Anyway, the baby's out with the bathwater now. And I suppose, the loss of Cavill's Superman and Gadot's Wonder Woman not getting her threequel notwithstanding, its probably for the best.

I'm curious about this ''young Superman'' movie though. Is it going to be a Year 2 take on Superman, like Reeves' Batman? Or something set before Superman's time in Metropolis, when he was traveling the world? Could this potentially be a segway to introduce LOSH?

Great news. Hoping this is an indicator that everything’s being rebooted. It’s been my opinion for a while that that’s the only way Dc can flourish as a shared universe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Even if it's year 2,3 or 6 ,if the movie shows flashbacks and is with a younger superman..Isn't that basically an origin?
    Depends. Reeves' Batman was a Year 2 movie that wasn't an origin at all...at least not in the conventional sense. It was about Batman becoming the legendary hero of Gotham, but he was already in the suit right from the jump.

I think what Gunn means is that we're not getting Krypton, the rocket landing on earth, Clark going to the Fortress and seeing a hologram of Jor-El, putting on the suit for the first time etc. etc.

Instead of moving on with Coates’ Superman project, I’d rather see an Icon movie that happens in the same world as the new Superman movie. It would be great to see Milestone integrated early on in the DCU.
    The Dakota characters can add so much of the DCU while at the same time being relatively independent, which gives them more room to play with.
    Movies like Static Shock or a Blood Syndicate series would be really big if done right. Plus a lot of these characters are already familiar to viewers due to animation.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Instead of moving on with Coates’ Superman project, I’d rather see an Icon movie that happens in the same world as the new Superman movie. It would be great to see Milestone integrated early on in the DCU.
    The Dakota characters can add so much of the DCU while at the same time being relatively independent, which gives them more room to play with.
    Movies like Static Shock or a Blood Syndicate series would be really big if done right. Plus a lot of these characters are already familiar to viewers due to animation.
    I don't really care about coates or not coates.I want an adaptation of goldenage superman.If icon can fill that roll.sure, call it whatever you want. be it captain major from planet umpalumpa disguised as mild mannered reporter leaping tall buildings and fighting on behalf of the common folks.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-15-2022 at 05:17 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Is it bad that I'm very much numb to all of this. When I first saw it I was neither upset about it, nor glad about it, thought it was just more of the same mess from people who don't know what they're doing no matter who the "head" of the DC slate happens to be. I guess I kind of feel bad for Cavill but considering how they brought him back, he should've expected something could likely go south. Just another day for the black hole of shit that is WB.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is it bad that I'm very much numb to all of this. When I first saw it I was neither upset about it, nor glad about it, thought it was just more of the same mess from people who don't know what they're doing no matter who the "head" of the DC slate happens to be. I guess I kind of feel bad for Cavill but considering how they brought him back, he should've expected something could likely go south. Just another day for the black hole of shit that is WB.
    I can empathize. It's a sour pill for Cavil and his fans but a day ending in 'y' at WB.

Hehehe

Forget Darkseid, forget Trigon, forget the Anti-Monitor. WB is the DC universe's greatest villain.

You know I just realized that in Man of Steel if Clark is not working at the Diner in the beginning of the movie, the plot would have been unable to move forward as he would have never heard about that alien ship and discovered it was Kryptonian. Also the fact that it was there in the Ice for 18,000 years should have been followed up in Man of Steel 2 instead of Batman v Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I can empathize. It's a sour pill for Cavil and his fans but a day ending in 'y' at WB.

Hehehe

Forget Darkseid, forget Trigon, forget the Anti-Monitor. WB is the DC universe's greatest villain.
    Much like Rothman to Fox X Men.

The silver lining for me is no more Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor. Hopefully they hold off on using Lex for a while in the new universe. Brainiac would be perfect for a bombastic Superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Much like Rothman to Fox X Men.
    Rothman was worst IMO the WB is constantly fumbling and trying to copy Marvel or be the opposite and doing both poorly. But they were at least trying Rothman had open disdain for Comic Book films. I honestly believe when he got hired at Sony someone high up took him aside and said "You mess with Spidey and you're going to end up in a ditch somewhere".

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Depends. Reeves' Batman was a Year 2 movie that wasn't an origin at all...at least not in the conventional sense. It was about Batman becoming the legendary hero of Gotham, but he was already in the suit right from the jump.

I think what Gunn means is that we're not getting Krypton, the rocket landing on earth, Clark going to the Fortress and seeing a hologram of Jor-El, putting on the suit for the first time etc. etc.
    With it being Gunn's vision, I'd put money on seeing a version of this SUPERMAN

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I am not sure how I feel about all of this. I was excited for Cavill back as Superman. Now I am a bit sad. (I am in no way a big Snyder fan)

So we are going to get kind of a year 2 or whatever Superman. Ok I see that as a start. So what is this Blue Beetle is the start then? Odd. So now no cameos and just mentions of others. Interesting.

How about the Rock? He is not staying as Black Adam? Wow after all that.

Peacemaker? Suicide Squad? Shazam?

Aquaman is done after #2, WW3 not happening, Flash is still a go but after that its the end.

I understand what Gunn and others are trying to do. Its just that there are a lot of questions going forward. This is going to take some time. MCU was not built in 2 years.

The Batman as well. I loved it. I want it as its own universe. Have spinoffs on HBO Max or whatever. Now rumors of merging it into this new DCU? Please no.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I just have to say that, whatever your opinion of Henry Cavill as Superman, I feel like the guy never got a fair shake and whenever it seemed like he was promised the chance to get said fair shake, it never turned out. So in that sense I feel really bad for him.

But I also can't deny that straight up rebooting everything, which they seem to be doing, makes sense (even if I have no idea what they're going to do with Batman). And going with an early years Superman which we've been getting pretty consistently lately.

James Gunn never struck me as someone that passionate about Superman himself, and his style and general writing sensibilities has never struck me as something you would expect from a typical Superman story, so I'm morbidly curious how this might turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Naah, that would be unfair to Liam Hemsworth. Cavill made his choice by dropping Witcher like a hot brick when he got the Superman cameo. If he had issues with salary or the writing, he could have threatened to leave if those weren't rectified. But he straight up left so can't blame Netflix for moving on.
    I think Liam's in an unenviable position one way or another.