Page 299 of 498 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349399 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 7460

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that these will be cameos that are no more than 2 minutes long. Gunn loves to use whatever cameo to flesh out the world so it doesn't feel like it exists in a vacuum.

I mean with a 10 second cameo he confirmed Watchers, one of the biggest cosmic things MCU has so far.
    That actually may a good thing, if done that way. Audiences can see the world is already filled with cool hero and then discover them, if they are like, a scene in say Paris and Mr. Terrific is defending it from whaetver's attacking, and elsewhere its Hawkgirl and elsewhere Guy.

So I'm absolutely ecstatic for these castings, but a little worried for their placement in a "back-to-basics" Superman movie.

Edi Gathegi as Mister Terrific is inspired casting. Gathegi was so good in For All Mankind where he already played a brilliant and elloquent, if a little arrogant, tech mogul. Throw some action and heroism in there, which Gathegi's also had roles in spades, and he's gonna knock this out of the park. Really hoping he's a long-term character.

Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardner is a take, but honestly I'm all for it. We got Nathan Fillion as a live action Green Lantern, I'm gonna take that as a win. I dunno how long he'll stick around, given that he's on Gunn's one-and-done list of buddy cameo roles, but Fillion's absolutely got the Captain Hammer chops to play a douchey Guy Gardner and I hope he gets a few appearances.

Isabela Merced is a bit of a wild card casting for me, just cuz I haven't seen her in much. I'll be interested to see if she's Thanagarian Hawkgirl, Ancient Egyptian Hawkgirl, or even if she's Kendra or Shayera Hawkgirl.

All of this being said, is Superman: Legacy the best place to introduce all of them? I'm excited to see every one of these characters, but I was also really hoping for a strong Superman-centric movie where we'd focus on Clark's history and what made him special. I'm worried this movie will be too bloated and Gunn'll bite off more than he can chew to establish a superhero status quo at the expense of Clark's solo DCU proof-of-concept

I'm on record saying that starting so deep in the history of this DC movie universe and skipping over so much stuff that the audience has never seen and doesn't know about is a mistake. I think it needs to grow organically with the audience, rather than trying to force in so much at once, for the audience to build an attachment to the world or characters. The cast for the Superman movie feels kind of bloated when you are also trying to throw in The Authority characters as well from reports. I dunno. Guy Gardner is a very unexpected choice. The casting is fine for the characters, but that one does feel a bit puzzling.

As a Hawkgirl fan, I kinda don't even want to complain about this movie getting overcrowded

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm on record saying that starting so deep in the history of this DC movie universe and skipping over so much stuff that the audience has never seen and doesn't know about is a mistake. I think it needs to grow organically with the audience, rather than trying to force in so much at once, for the audience to build an attachment to the world or characters. The cast for the Superman movie feels kind of bloated when you are also trying to throw in The Authority characters as well from reports. I dunno. Guy Gardner is a very unexpected choice. The casting is fine for the characters, but that one does feel a bit puzzling.
    It does seem to be making that common superhero movie mistake; putting in way too many characters you have to introduce to get the audience to like them, then do something with the title character. And...yes, Superman isn't exactly closely associated with these characters. It sounds more like Gunn himself is personally into these characters, which is why he's including them. Maybe I'm wrong, but probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    So I'm absolutely ecstatic for these castings, but a little worried for their placement in a "back-to-basics" Superman movie.

Edi Gathegi as Mister Terrific is inspired casting. Gathegi was so good in For All Mankind where he already played a brilliant and elloquent, if a little arrogant, tech mogul. Throw some action and heroism in there, which Gathegi's also had roles in spades, and he's gonna knock this out of the park. Really hoping he's a long-term character.

Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardner is a take, but honestly I'm all for it. We got Nathan Fillion as a live action Green Lantern, I'm gonna take that as a win. I dunno how long he'll stick around, given that he's on Gunn's one-and-done list of buddy cameo roles, but Fillion's absolutely got the Captain Hammer chops to play a douchey Guy Gardner and I hope he gets a few appearances.

Isabela Merced is a bit of a wild card casting for me, just cuz I haven't seen her in much. I'll be interested to see if she's Thanagarian Hawkgirl, Ancient Egyptian Hawkgirl, or even if she's Kendra or Shayera Hawkgirl.

All of this being said, is Superman: Legacy the best place to introduce all of them? I'm excited to see every one of these characters, but I was also really hoping for a strong Superman-centric movie where we'd focus on Clark's history and what made him special. I'm worried this movie will be too bloated and Gunn'll bite off more than he can chew to establish a superhero status quo at the expense of Clark's solo DCU proof-of-concept
    Merced is probably best known as the live action Dora the Explorer (she was a teenager in her movie, not the toddler she is in the cartoon). That of course means she's young, so almost certainly playing Kendra who's barely out of her teens in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    As a Hawkgirl fan, I kinda don't even want to complain about this movie getting overcrowded
    Hawkgirl's new solo mini is set in Metropolis. I'm thinking maybe they knew she would be in the new Superman movie so wanted to bring her into his world in the comics too?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-12-2023 at 03:53 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's interesting that i haven't come across any people on twitter being mad that Nathan isn't a red head

Makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's interesting that i haven't come across any people on twitter being mad that Nathan isn't a red head
    Qwhite interesting indeed.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

James Gunn reveals that the DCU Canon starts with Creature Commandos and Superman Legacy:

If I’m interpreting this right, this pretty much means that every DCEU project that predates these two projects(including things Gunn did like Suicide Squad and I guess Peacemaker season 1) are not canon to the new DCU.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-12-2023 at 07:05 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I'm sure Gunn can handle this movie. He's already done movies in a universe populated with heroes with The Suicide Squad and the Guardians movies. And those movies had various cameos in them.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I'm sure Gunn can handle this movie. He's already done movies in a universe populated with heroes with The Suicide Squad and the Guardians movies. And those movies had various cameos in them.
    I don't think people are worried about that but more worried about this being the start of a new universe and Supermans big solo film debut since MoS.

Astonishing Member

Super excited about this! Particularly Hawkgirl, as I've long been an advocate for bringing her to the films. Hope she's on the Justice League lineup. I wonder which Hawkgirl this is though? I'd love for it to be Shayera Hol, though it's more likely they'll go with Kendra Saunders I suppose. Wonder if Aldis Hodge is making it to the new DCU...

Guy Gardner is an interesting choice since he's probably the last GL I'd have expected to be picked for GL's second live-action cinematic appearance ever. (Hell, isn't Guy the only major GL not to be a 'main' GL ever? Alan, Hal and Kyle have all had tenures as the 'main' GL. Dunno about John, but he was the 'main' GL of the DCAU). But I suppose that's what makes it an inspired choice. I get the feeling that Gunn can do wonders with this character. And who knows, maybe this will give Guy the kind of mainstream exposure that John once got from the cartoons.

Don't particularly have an opinion on Mr. Terrific, but the more the merrier. Wonder if he'll be on the League too, or dare I say, the Society (if it makes it to the new DCU)?

The inclusion of these characters confirms two things to me. One, that we're in a DCU that's already fairly well-established (something Gunn more or less confirmed earlier, and that was evident from Batman being old enough to have Damian as his pre-teen/teenage son, but that's now even more evident). And two, that the scope of this film will be far beyond a contained 'introductory' Superman film. I think Brainiac, or a villain of that level, is far more likely than someone like a Metallo or Parasite or Lobo for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    James Gunn reveals that the DCU Canon starts with Creature Commandos and Superman Legacy:

If I’m interpreting this right, this pretty much means that every DCEU project that predates these two projects(including things Gunn did like Suicide Squad and I guess Peacemaker season 1) are not canon to the new DCU.
    I think it's the case that everything from Creature Commandos/Superman Legacy onwards is 100% hard canon...there might be stuff from before that which is vaguely grandfathered in, especially in the case of the TSS/Peacemaker casts and other characters where actors are continuing, but it's not hard canon.

Zaslav has said in another interview that they want the new DCU to be accessible and not require audiences to have watched a bunch of earlier stuff. So its not like there will be tons of references to DCEU stuff like TSS. At the same time, unless explicitly contradicted, it'll be easy to assume that some of that stuff did loosely happen.

In other words, I guess it'll be similar to DC's approach to continuity after COIE in the comics. A few characters like Superman and Wonder Woman get rebooted, and a few others like Batman are soft-rebooted, but that apart, 70-80% of past continuity is still intact but will only be acknowledged when absolutely necessary (and maybe with some changes).

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It sounds like Gunn is going to have him sport Guy's bowl cut so I'm kind of guessing we will see him dye it or wearing a red wig.