Page 325 of 498 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375425 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 7457

Thread: DCU Movies

Will she be helping develop it or will she star in it? Either way, this is very surprising to hear.

Extraordinary Member

Well this is officially my first red flag for the Gunn reboot. They should have used Flash failing as a total clean slate.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Well this is officially my first red flag for the Gunn reboot. They should have used Flash failing as a total clean slate.
    My analysis I posted in the other thread focused on trying to make sense of the way Gunn changed the clip show scene. What meaning does the choices of what to show/not show have? He showed us Nic Cage as Superman... seems like something they'd only have as an alt-U, not main. He also showed PAST versions of the DC universe that.... he CAN'T use going forward. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, both are dead. He showed Helen Slater, who isn't gonna reprise that role unless it's an older future Kara.

Hmm...... But.... he didn't really show us what he plans TO use. hmm..... does the Gal Gadot omission mean he had plans that he wasn't ready to reveal yet?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

It wouldn't be DC comics if a half-assed reboot wasn't involved somehow.

COIE
    Zero Hour
    Infinite Crisis
    New 52
    Rebirth
    Infinite Frontier
    DCEU - Gunn's DCU

For example, I’m sure Captain Marvel would have made a lot of money because it was the first female led Marvel movie but it made a BILLION dollars because it was released at the height of the big Marvel storyline. It came out in between Infinity War and Endgame and people were fiending for everything Marvel.
    So did ant-man. It didn't make a billion. It made a billion due to females loving the film, trailer getting people excited, 90s nostalgia and the old-fashioned people just liked the movie.

Doubt the avengers films had zip to do with it or ant-man would be in the billion club.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So did ant-man. It didn't make a billion. It made a billion due to females loving the film, trailer getting people excited, 90s nostalgia and the old-fashioned people just liked the movie.

Doubt the avengers films had zip to do with it or ant-man would be in the billion club.
    Captain Marvel was different. Ant-Man two came out after Infinity War, for some reason. Ant-Man missed the big event team-up movie of the year (2018). For a mostly standalone story that resolves things from Ant-Man 1 and sets up the Quantum Realm for the time travel to be used in Avengers 4.

Captain Marvel was released literally a month before Avengers 4. A lot of marketing and hype had the two films married for promotional purposes. The old sleight of hand of "you need to see everything to appreciate what's coming"! Avengers Endgame was the event of the Summer. Captain Marvel worked as an okay preamble. They made a big deal about her in the advertising but she played a small part in the actual event that was Avengers Endgame. But by then it didn't matter. Disney already had the money from the BO.

Ant-Man 2 and Captain Marvel end up being inconsequential to the two Avengers films they were sandwiched between. You can skip both and literally lose nothing. Watching Avengers Infinity War and Endgame back to back and not be sidetracked.

I'm curious to see what comes out of this new WW film. Will Gadot still be Diana? Will this be standalone or part of their new DCU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Shared universe versus standalones have nothing to do with whether a movie is a flop or not - every flop just named has an equivalent flop in the DCEU - Wonder Woman 1984, TSS, BOP, Shazam 2, Black Adam, The Flash. Point is characters were getting movies without the incentive of a shared universe, so the argument is flawed. Sure, they were crappy movies, but so were the ones we got with the shared universe. Real lesson is stand alone or shared universe WB have no damn clue what they're doing. But what's the point, you've made it clear that all you've ever cared about is the possibility of crossover stuff, everything else is a distant eleventh in comparison, so what's the point? Clearly a good superhero movie isn't point enough for you.
    Although if DC had better brand recognition like Marvel Studios had they might not have bombed so hard on certain films.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Yeah, I'm concerned.

“Exclusive” is a funny way to describe them cherry picking a two month old pre recorded video. Guess we wait and see but I have my doubts that Gadot is right. Surely Gunn would have announced that they planned to continue forward with Gadot in his initial reveal if that was the plan.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think this argument is doomed to go in circles because both sides are correct. A well made movie will usually bring in people all by itself without needing to be connected to a shared universe. The Batman for example. But there is no denying the appeal a shared universe has to an audience. People want to feel like they are a part of something big. The Marvel cinematic universe does that. I’ve seen a number of people say they aren’t really into the current crop of Marvel movies but they’re almost compelled to go because they are so invested in the movieverse.

For example, I’m sure Captain Marvel would have made a lot of money because it was the first female led Marvel movie but it made a BILLION dollars because it was released at the height of the big Marvel storyline. It came out in between Infinity War and Endgame and people were fiending for everything Marvel. That’s the magic that WB/DC has been trying to get and of course they’ve been failing miserably.

If a studio has a billion dollar movie like The Joker they can capitalize on that by making a sequel that could make a huge amount of money but what if they made a ton of spin-offs in that same universe? A shared universe could make them a fortune.

Again, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, etc. has shown the appeal of an expanded universe. Get people so invested in your product so you can keep branching out. Monetarily why wouldn’t that be your goal?
    Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

And you're completely right about Captain Marvel.

I think the one thing the MCU had going for it during Phases 1-3 was that it was building up to something, and Captain Marvel was leading right up to the grand finale. A major complaint from many MCU fans is that Phase 4-5 so far doesn't feel like it's leading up to anything specific (even if Secret Wars has been announced), which actually makes me wonder how well The Marvels will do.

The DCEU also never really felt like it was leading up to anything post-JL. Which would have been fine had there been great movies which, largely, there weren't (though I've personally enjoyed most of the DCEU slate). So the DCEU never really got to exploit any of the advantages of having a shared universe, which could have potentially elevated even mediocre films.

I'll have to see it to believe it.

Honestly though, I'm pretty okay with Gadot continuing as Wonder Woman. I guess the only issue is that yet again it muddies the waters about how hard Gunn's reboot is or isn't, and how it ties into the idiocy of the decision-making surrounding The Flash's ending.

Mixed feelings if true.

First and foremost...I'll believe it when I see it. After what happened with the Batgirl movie, I don't think we should trust to see anything until it's in the theater or on TV.

I think what concerns me is, although I did want to see Gal wrap up a Wonder Woman trilogy, where is this supposed to land in regard to the rest of Gunn's plans? Is this a wrap-up of Gal's Wonder Woman, or is it going to be a bridge movie that integrates her into the rest of Gunn's DCU?

But that also ties into what Gunn's DCU is even going to be. It's a reboot, except not? It's a semi-reboot? Some things will carry over, but other things are starting from scratch?
    Jesus, this really is on-brand for DC.

And, though I did like Gal as Diana, I feel like she's a point where she should be closing up shop, so to speak, so a new actress can be Wonder Woman going forward.
    Or will this movie be about Diana passing the torch, and the Wonder Woman of Gunn's DCU will be Nubia or Yara or (shudder) Lizzie?

I'm also reluctant to trust Gunn's take on Wonder Woman at all. He has his strengths and preferences as a creator, but I don't see Diana falling into his wheelhouse.

I would welcome a third Wonder Woman that is just a Wonder Woman movie that caps off the trilogy and gives Gal's Diana a nice send-off. But I fear it...assuming it even gets made...is going to be shared universe BS instead.

And as long as we're on that subject, I've no use for shared universes. Random characters showing up in other people's stuff does not appeal to me in the slightest. Especially in regard to Wonder Woman, who I maintain gains nothing of value existing in the same universe as the rest of DC. She has two, maybe three friendships/relationships with characters outside her world that are worth a damn...and no, neither of them are Superman or Batman...and none of them are really worth it.

I've personally reached a point where I cringe every time Diana shows up in a comic outside her own. Justice League sucks more often than it doesn't. Even the League stuff generally considered good like Morrison's run or the DCAU as glaring blind spots. DC's crossover events are hot garbage.

Why would I want to see any of that adapted into movies?
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 08-02-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Why are they so afraid to make a full reboot? The Flash proved, that DCEU has to go, it has to be large-scale reboot, not this half measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Captain Marvel was different. Ant-Man two came out after Infinity War, for some reason. Ant-Man missed the big event team-up movie of the year (2018). For a mostly standalone story that resolves things from Ant-Man 1 and sets up the Quantum Realm for the time travel to be used in Avengers 4.

Captain Marvel was released literally a month before Avengers 4. A lot of marketing and hype had the two films married for promotional purposes. The old sleight of hand of "you need to see everything to appreciate what's coming"! Avengers Endgame was the event of the Summer. Captain Marvel worked as an okay preamble. They made a big deal about her in the advertising but she played a small part in the actual event that was Avengers Endgame. But by then it didn't matter. Disney already had the money from the BO.

Ant-Man 2 and Captain Marvel end up being inconsequential to the two Avengers films they were sandwiched between. You can skip both and literally lose nothing. Watching Avengers Infinity War and Endgame back to back and not be sidetracked.
    I went to see Cap Marvel to prepare for Endgame, that's for sure. It was sold as necessary to understand the blockbuster of the decade after all.

Hoping the Gal story is wrong. I liked her as Wonder Woman but they need to flush the main parts of the DCEU, including her version of the character. Do the Amazons project, wait a few years and then introduce a new Diana.

Henry Cavill also announced that he would be coming back as Superman and we saw how that turned out. I won’t be convinced until we hear James Gunn himself confirm that Gal will be Wonder Woman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I went to see Cap Marvel to prepare for Endgame, that's for sure. It was sold as necessary to understand the blockbuster of the decade after all.
    It also created Nerdrotic's career of hating Brie Larson.