Page 347 of 497 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 7451

Thread: DCU Movies

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    See, this always confuses me. You don’t have to “trust” anything. The movie is getting good reviews and positive word of mouth. So, really what you’re saying here is you’re just choosing to not like something…because reasons.
    I saying I also saw positive word of mouth from people on The Flash "it's fun", "the Keaton parts are amazing" and it was an absolute disaster on all fronts. So when people are positive about this movie, I have my doubts that that positivity will line up with my tastes.

And "like" has nothing to do with it. I won't like or dislike it or til I see it (for free on streaming maybe). I'm choosing to look at the reputation of a studio that produces bad movies whose in the midst of a management transition that has probably caused more issues for these inbetween movies. Combined with trailers that didn't wow me and deciding it's not worth the trip to the theater to roll the dice. There's just other things I would prefer to do with the 3ish hour commitment a theater run takes than risk it on a movie from a bomb factory studio and on a brand that hasn't been well served by the people managing it.

The one positive for me is I like the lead in a different show made by different people. That's just not enough for me.
    Last edited by Coop; 08-24-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Apparently some Mexicans (in Mexico) feels that the movie mock them.

I wonder if it doesn't showcase the difference between the experience of Mexican immigrants in the US and the rest of the world.

It is only a small evidence but it does surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Apparently some Mexicans (in Mexico) feels that the movie mock them.

I wonder if it doesn't showcase the difference between the experience of Mexican immigrants in the US and the rest of the world.

It is only a small evidence but it does surprise me.
    Well, it's Hollywood's idea of what Mexico is like... and.... yeah.... probably run through a spaghetti Western filter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yeah, tough break for BB---though I'll note none of this seemed to affect other movies. Like I've said, it would likely have done better had it hit maybe ten years ago. Of course then its lead actor would have been too young...
    If you’re talking about Barbie and Oppenheimer, that was because both of those movies had pretty much wrapped up their promotion by the time the SAG strike was called. The Oppenheimer cast was even AT the London premiere of their film when the strike was called (and then they had to walk out of said premiere). And Barbie had already banked a bunch of cast interviews that they kept releasing after SAG went on strike.

In fact, SAG leadership is pretty sure that the AMPTP only extended negotiations an extra two weeks so they could wrap up promotion on those immediate summer releases.

But again, people on this forum seem to want to make anything released by DC into an unmitigated disaster because, for people on the internet, toxic negativity is more fun than actual analysis.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-24-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I saying I also saw positive word of mouth from people on The Flash "it's fun", "the Keaton parts are amazing" and it was an absolute disaster on all fronts. So when people are positive about this movie, I have my doubts that that positivity will line up with my tastes.

And "like" has nothing to do with it. I won't like or dislike it or til I see it (for free on streaming maybe). I'm choosing to look at the reputation of a studio that produces bad movies whose in the midst of a management transition that has probably caused more issues for these inbetween movies. Combined with trailers that didn't wow me and deciding it's not worth the trip to the theater to roll the dice. There's just other things I would prefer to do with the 3ish hour commitment a theater run takes than risk it on a movie from a bomb factory studio and on a brand that hasn't been well served by the people managing it.

The one positive for me is I like the lead in a different show made by different people. That's just not enough for me.
    There’s a BIG difference between the reception here and the reception of The Flash. And again, if you don’t see that, it might be just because you don’t want to see it. But that’s fine. That’s your prerogative. But at least be honest about it.

Doesn’t seem like good word of mouth will help Blue Beetle’s box office. It’s tracking to come in 3rd this weekend with around $12 million.

It will be a challenge for it to even make as much as Shazam 2 domestically.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    If you’re talking about Barbie and Oppenheimer, that was because both of those movies had pretty much wrapped up their promotion by the time the SAG strike was called. The Oppenheimer cast was even AT the London premiere of their film when the strike was called (and then they had to walk out of said premiere). And Barbie had already banked a bunch of cast interviews that they kept releasing after SAG went on strike.

In fact, SAG leadership is pretty sure that the AMPTP only extended negotiations an extra two weeks so they could wrap up promotion on those immediate summer releases.

But again, people on this forum seem to want to make anything released by DC into an unmitigated disaster because, for people on the internet, toxic negativity is more fun than actual analysis.
    I'm interested as to how you can spin Blue Beetle into a success for WB. Bottom line is, like their other DCU offerings this year so far, it flopped. Not as big as the others, since it cost less...maybe that's a silver lining. But "failing less than the others" but still failing is hard to imagine as any sort of win.

We get it, you like the movie. That's fine, lots of other people did too. But not nearly enough. Facts are facts, and it's really hard to get around them.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm interested as to how you can spin Blue Beetle into a success for WB. Bottom line is, like their other DCU offerings this year so far, it flopped. Not as big as the others, since it cost less...maybe that's a silver lining. But "failing less than the others" but still failing is hard to imagine as any sort of win.

We get it, you like the movie. That's fine, lots of other people did too. But not nearly enough. Facts are facts, and it's really hard to get around them.
    "It was impacted by the strike so our cast couldn't promote it but we're happy that it was well received by the audience and had some of the best reviews for a DC film since The Batman"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    "It was impacted by the strike so our cast couldn't promote it but we're happy that it was well received by the audience and had some of the best reviews for a DC film since The Batman"
    What does the not promoting have to do with it? WB could have moved the release date if they wanted. It's not like the strike came from out of the blue. Nor does it spin the movie into being a success, it's merely an excuse for why it wasn't. And not a good one, either, as I noted above.

"Best reviews since the Batman"? The "great" reviews came mostly before the movie was released, by critics beholden to Disney for access and other goodies. When the movie was released, reviews got a bit more realistic. "Okay, but totally unoriginal, and never quite as good as the better movies it copies" isn't a ringing endorsement, but it was the consensus of reviews. Bottom line is that yes, audiences did like it, but those audiences weren't enough to make it a success. Mostly, it was just sort of "yeah, that was a movie" reaction.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

What does the not promoting have to do with it? WB could have moved the release date if they wanted. It's not like the strike came from out of the blue. Nor does it spin the movie into being a success, it's merely an excuse for why it wasn't. And not a good one, either, as I noted above.

"Best reviews since the Batman"? The "great" reviews came mostly before the movie was released, by critics beholden to Disney for access and other goodies. When the movie was released, reviews got a bit more realistic. "Okay, but totally unoriginal, and never quite as good as the better movies it copies" isn't a ringing endorsement, but it was the consensus of reviews. Bottom line is that yes, audiences did like it, but those audiences weren't enough to make it a success. Mostly, it was just sort of "yeah, that was a movie" reaction.
    You have seen the plethora of films pushed to 2024 haven't you? Because of the simple fact that actors cant promote their films.

Now do i think it would've made a MAJOR change in BB box-office? No. But it's an easy thing to hide behind

Positive reviews are positive reviews. It's certified fresh. Tell me the last DC movie that was certified fresh. It's a big deal for DC. No movie has absolutely stellar reviews.

Not even solid to good DC movies can do well any more .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not even solid to good DC movies can do well any more .
    Don't worry. Gaga is coming next year.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    You have seen the plethora of films pushed to 2024 haven't you? Because of the simple fact that actors cant promote their films.

Now do i think it would've made a MAJOR change in BB box-office? No. But it's an easy thing to hide behind

Positive reviews are positive reviews. It's certified fresh. Tell me the last DC movie that was certified fresh. It's a big deal for DC. No movie has absolutely stellar reviews.
    Like I said, WB could have pushed the movie to next year when the strike is maybe over. They chose not to, so its on them.

The last time a DC movie was certified fresh was The Batman, (last year), which was far fresher than BB. In fact, Harley Quin and The I'm Not Writing All That score the same fresh rating as BB and it was utter garbage in every way. WW, Shazam, and a lot of older DC movies scored far higher than BB.
    Last edited by achilles; 08-25-2023 at 12:22 PM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...235573895/amp/

Warner Bros. isn’t going to win back everyone, and it would be a mistake, one that the studio made in the past with the DCEU, to even think that they can. Attempting to make films for everyone resulted in the theatrical cut of Justice League (2017), a film for no one. And it will take time to rebuild DC’s fandom, to unify the parts that can be unified, and simply let the rest go. Not everyone is going to be sold, and expecting a billion-dollar Superman film out the gate would be absurd, but of course, we’ve been down that road before. Perhaps the simplest lesson for this current regime comes from the film that spearheaded a DC cinematic universe in the first place, The Dark Knight. “Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.”

That means offering consistency and not changing directions every time some critics and certain segments of fandom become blinded by nostalgia or throw tantrums when the story isn’t told the way they wanted it to be. That means decisiveness and letting filmmakers do more than simply adapt the familiar, but challenge what we think we want from these movies and what we think we know about these characters. The DCU has to do more than make fans believe a man can fly. It has to make them believe that this time, there’s a willingness to stay the course and see that flight to its destination. Only then will the DC film fans be found again.
    Bolded is the important part. Legacy is not making a billion, but if the reception is good and it makes around what MoS made or more? Greenlight the sequel. Batman Begins did modestly at the box office but TDK is what really exploded. The general audience has no faith in DC’s ability to commit given the endless wild shifts every time something didn’t meet WB’s wild expectations.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Doesn’t seem like good word of mouth will help Blue Beetle’s box office. It’s tracking to come in 3rd this weekend with around $12 million.

It will be a challenge for it to even make as much as Shazam 2 domestically.
    Even with a lower budget Blue Beetle can flop sad.