Page 91 of 497 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 7450

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It does kind of amuse me that for all of Dwayne Johnson's posturing that his Black Adam be independent and have nothing to do with Shazam, the movies' failure may have doomed the character to go back to being stuck as a Shazam villain .
    Ironic. - Sheev Palpatine

BANNED

Darla, Eugene, Pedro?

I swear I didn't double-check on a wiki .
    Each is only allowed one personality trait!

What's kind of sad is...say they went ahead with a Shazam sequel and announced that the villain would be Black Adam played by the Rock...it would've been huge. They could've hyped him up as Shazam's Venom and Rock could've easily parlayed that into a spin-off, and who knows?

A lot of people have compared Black Adam to Tom Hardy's Venom, but...one, Venom is a massively popular character that even non-comic fans know. He can draw an audience by himself even without Spider-Man.

But also, any time Tom Hardy is asked about crossing over with Spider-Man, he is always all for it. He agreed to cameo in No Way Home for a brief joke scene. His response has always been essentially "Of course I should fight Spider-Man. I'm Venom, aren't I?"
    Compare that to the Rock, who did everything in his power to distance Black Adam from Shazam...all in the hope he could fight Superman and be a Justice League level opponent.
    It would be like if Hardy refused to have anything to do with Spider-Man and insisted his Venom only be a Avengers villain who fights the Hulk.

It was hubris, plain and simple. Rock wanted to beat up Superman and refused to accept any less.
    And maybe he still could have, but he didn't have the patience for it. You'd think as a former wrestler he'd recognize the importance of building up characters before the main event. You can't just jump to Wrestlemania.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Which time zone?!?!

At this point I wonder how it will happen. Will it be a WB event thing with a press release, will Gunn just Tweet it? There's a LOT of interest - I wonder if DC will try to capitalize on the announcement.
    Joking aside, I expect something being announced this Monday via Twitter and trades. For a full slate of few years of upcoming DC movies, SDCC '23 is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    What's kind of sad is...say they went ahead with a Shazam sequel and announced that the villain would be Black Adam played by the Rock...it would've been huge. They could've hyped him up as Shazam's Venom and Rock could've easily parlayed that into a spin-off, and who knows?

A lot of people have compared Black Adam to Tom Hardy's Venom, but...one, Venom is a massively popular character that even non-comic fans know. He can draw an audience by himself even without Spider-Man.

But also, any time Tom Hardy is asked about crossing over with Spider-Man, he is always all for it. He agreed to cameo in No Way Home for a brief joke scene. His response has always been essentially "Of course I should fight Spider-Man. I'm Venom, aren't I?"
    Compare that to the Rock, who did everything in his power to distance Black Adam from Shazam...all in the hope he could fight Superman and be a Justice League level opponent.
    It would be like if Hardy refused to have anything to do with Spider-Man and insisted his Venom only be a Avengers villain who fights the Hulk.

It was hubris, plain and simple. Rock wanted to beat up Superman and refused to accept any less.
    And maybe he still could have, but he didn't have the patience for it. You'd think as a former wrestler he'd recognize the importance of building up characters before the main event. You can't just jump to Wrestlemania.
    Agreed with all of this. Funny how he’s now 0/2 with trying to take over a major film franchise.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I think it also had to do with Black Adam being in development hell for so many years and Rock being attached to it right from the start, he likely just didn't want to wait any longer. That movie was in development since he was in his 30s and it didn't come out until he was 50, so I can understand if he really didn't have more patience to build up the character, even though he's much bigger in Hollywood now than he ever was back then and Black Adam wouldn't have been made without him regardless. Either way it's just another case of WB botching an IP that had potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    You'd think as a former wrestler he'd recognize the importance of building up characters before the main event. You can't just jump to Wrestlemania.
    Well considering he was one of Vince McMahon's golden boys and everything he knows about wrestling storytelling comes from Vince whose ideas can often be rather... misguided, I guess you can argue that Rock could be starting to lose his touch a bit as well.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-28-2023 at 06:07 AM.

I still don't get why we're not getting any Mister Mind or Monster Society in this movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Meh!lois,perry..etc have become a bit bland.There is a serious lack of fire and go getter energy..I hope james gun does bring some of that guardians energy.
    No joke. I agree entirely. Especially Perry.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I thought Perry had some pretty solid character stuff Post-Crisis and during the triangle era. And can't forget about Lois and Clark!

Gunn seems like the type of guy who would find a way for him to say "Great Ceasar's Ghost" out loud in a movie, assuming he knows that's his catchphrase.

Incredible Member

I still don't get why we're not getting any Mister Mind or Monster Society in this movie.
    If this film does well enough to warrant a sequel, then I don't see why not.

I was really hoping for that too but maybe they felt that the Shazam movie franchise still isn’t at the level of popularity or success to get away with having a talking worm wearing glasses as the main villain. They went the very safe route and had “the gods” and mythological creatures as the super powerful and CGI heavy enemies instead.

Maybe if this one is a bigger financial success and the franchise survives the reboot we can get Mr. Mind and the Monster Society in the third film.

Extraordinary Member

I thought Perry had some pretty solid character stuff Post-Crisis and during the triangle era. And can't forget about Lois and Clark!
    Lois & Clark was okay. I really didn't care for much of Perry during much of post-Crisis (at least until Loeb and McGuiness took over the main book), especially his connections to Lex Luthor (which only makes sense since I also didn't care much for post-Crisis Lex up until the Loeb and McGuiness run).

Gunn seems like the type of guy who would find a way for him to say "Great Ceasar's Ghost" out loud in a movie, assuming he knows that's his catchphrase.
    I mean, I would hope so.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Jerry being Lex's, adopting Keith, and his cancer all great stories for him post crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    If this film does well enough to warrant a sequel, then I don't see why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was really hoping for that too but maybe they felt that the Shazam movie franchise still isn’t at the level of popularity or success to get away with having a talking worm wearing glasses as the main villain. They went the very safe route and had “the gods” and mythological creatures as the super powerful and CGI heavy enemies instead.

Maybe if this one is a bigger financial success and the franchise survives the reboot we can get Mr. Mind and the Monster Society in the third film.
    Maybe I'm just skeptical because it doesn't seem like anyone has any real confidence in the movie or it's success at this point. But I do want it do well myself.

It's just weird that they set up that post-credit scene and suddenly it's...not at all relevant to the sequel? I don't think there's any confirmation it even comes up at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Lois & Clark was okay. I really didn't care for much of Perry during much of post-Crisis (at least until Loeb and McGuiness took over the main book), especially his connections to Lex Luthor (which only makes sense since I also didn't care much for post-Crisis Lex up until the Loeb and McGuiness run).
    I liked the stuff with his family .
    I mean, I would hope so.
    Same here. But you never know what Gunn is going to draw on versus just doing his own thing.

Extraordinary Member

I liked the stuff with his family .
    Just wasn't a fan. It just kind of made it seem like there was more beef between Perry and Lex than Supes and Lex.