Page 7 of 497 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    $17mill isn't hard to make by end of year. Itll break even
    I might be allready past the break even point. And I don't doubt that it will turn a profit.

I just don't think that it will not catch up to "Multiverse of Madness" when it comes to world wide box office.

No credible source has claimed Black Adam needs $600 million to break even. It's always been 2-2.5 Xs multiplier.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But it came afaik out a week after BoP, showing there will still plenty of people willing to go to the movies at the time.

The first couple of weeks (which is when movies make most of their money) of BoP's run, were not really effected by Corona that much.
    $100mill more is not a SIGNIFICANT number. Sonic was a family movie and not a female dc film, it was always going to have a slightly easier time at the box office. Aquaman opened similarly to Black Adam and it blew BA out of the water in the long run so there are COVID does matter imo. If you think it didnt play a part in Sonic or BoP numbers, fine for you. I do.

No talk about gunn meeting with the batgirl director over the film killed (even though it got the same score as shazam 2 and black adam did) and they will make another film for dc IF "it's released!" Lol.

Film they are wanting to make. Batman beyond!

https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-ba...-arbi-meeting/

Don't listen to most sights or Youtubers they're very bias and exaggerate the numbers for clicks. The safe rule of thumb to figure out a box office Proformance for a tent pole movie/blockbuster has been for the last decade is to take the budget and add 100 million for marketing then whatever the Box Office is subtract half then subtract the budget and marketing from that and you have the profit margin.

Black Adam is hundred million or slightly more away from breaking even and Wakanda Forever has broken even and is still in cinema so it will likely make a small profit at least.

While The Batman and Love and Thunder made moderate profits for Warner and Disney respectfully.

Multiverse of Madness made Disney a nice profit and No Way Home made a big profit for Sony.

Morbius although was probably the worst hit a studio took for a Superhero film this year but again No Way Home softened the blow.

Extraordinary Member

Wakanda forever will most likely end at 800 to 900 million.
    Thor love and Thunder and wakanda forever budget is around is 250 million and marketing is 100 million.
    So to break even they needed 600 million.
    They both broke even and made profit but wakanda forever will make more profit,so it will make nice profit as well but not like doctor strange 2.

Black adam needs 500/600 million to break even.
    The 600 million talk is because of the bigger marketing that black adam is said to have from some then the other films i list above,but i am not sure if that is true or not.

The other dc film to flop this year is DC League of Super-Pets.

Multiverse of Madness made Disney a nice profit and No Way Home made a big profit for Sony.
    Disney made profit too from spiderman no way home.

Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. As part of the arrangement, Spider-Man will also appear in one future Marvel Studios film.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-07-2022 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Wakanda forever will most likely end at 800 to 900 million.
    Thor love and Thunder and wakanda forever budget is around is 250 million and marketing is 100 million.
    So to break even they needed 600 million.
    They both broke even and made profit but wakanda forever will make more profit,so it will make nice profit as well but not like doctor strange 2.

Black adam needs 500/600 million to break even.
    The 600 million talk is because of the bigger marketing that black adam is said to have from some then the other films i list above,but i am not sure if that is true or not.

The other dc film to flop this year is DC League of Super-Pets.

Disney made profit too from spiderman no way home since they spent 25% of thier money on it.
    Superpets budget was $90 million. It grossed $205 million. Unless we’re going by the ridiculous 3x system, it was profitable for the studio and not a flop.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Superpets budget was $90 million. It grossed $205 million. Unless we’re going by the ridiculous 3x system, it was profitable for the studio and not a flop.
    Birds of prey budget is less and they made MORE money and it flop.

Birds of Prey
    Budget $84,500,000

WORLDWIDE
    $205,308,611

Here is some info on big screen animated 2022 movie.

Is DC League of Super-Pets Hit Or Flop? How’s The Warner Bros’ DC Super-Pets Performed At Box Office?
    According to reports, Warner Bros ‘DC League of Super-Pets’, released in the USA on 29 July 2022 in more than 4300 theaters, collected $9.32 million on its opening day and $23 million on its opening weekend at the domestic box office. Overall, the ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ has so far collected $93.65 million domestically and $110.20 million overseas, for a worldwide total of $203.85 million[1].

Dwayne Johnson and Keanu Reeves like well know actors voice starring $90 million production ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ has opened with the lowest numbers in 2022 for Warner Bros, and apart from $90 million production, the makers spent a huge amount on prints and advertising, and easy to say, ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ needs to earn around $250 million for became an average successful. But for now, there is no sign of the ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ earning $250 million because the overseas box office is also not well, and currently, despite receiving positive reviews from critics, the ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ is a commercial failure.

Not only that, maybe in the future, ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ will earn $250 million at the box office, and would consider it well but still for us, this film will still be a box office failure because the ‘DC League of Super-Pets’ comes with big production banner, well-known star cast like Dwayne Johnson and Keanu Reeves, and a part of well-known comics, and despite having so many advantages, such a performance is more than any failure.

https://www.thefilmik.com/is-dc-leag...at-box-office/

SO birds of prey and DC League of Super-Pets are flops.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-07-2022 at 12:53 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A bunch of DCU movies had screenings this month. I'm going in order of release...

The past week, The Flash screened internally at WB (the last public screening was in July), the whole movie and the ending are the same with Batfleck and Keaton switching place, and a lost-in-the-multiverse Batfleck sending a message of help to Barry in the mid-credits scene. Cavill seems to have filmed a brief cameo for the film but apparently it's in the early section of the movie not in the end scene, leaving still uncertain if he still Superman after Barry's "reset" of the timeline (I take it they are still waiting for Safran/Gunn to make such decision): https://twitter.com/thecomixkid/stat...47898692087808

Blue Beetle is at its 3rd test screenings I think. The runtime was reduced each time (it was past 2,5 hours in the early rough cut). The movie is set in the main DCU, currently there are no cameos but Superman, Supergirl and Batman are referenced. Jamie and the scarab can communicate with each others Venom-style? Susan Sarandon/Victoria Kord is Ted Kord's sister. It seems Ted Kord's status in not addressed in the cuts shown. I mean he can pop up in a post credits scene when the movie will be out, you never know till then. Movies in test screenings have no credits and post-credits scenes get left out till late by default.

The post-reshoots version of Aquaman 2 screened yesterday. Mera/Amber Heard is still in the movie: https://twitter.com/bigscreenleaks/s...65159364657153 There's no Batman anymore (both Affleck and Keaton were cut). William Dafoe was never in any cuts of the movie (pre and post reshoots), spoilers:
    Vulko dies off-screens of a disease
    end of spoilers. Nicole Kidman is in it. The silly humor is still in it too, lol: https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/statu...01312146853888

Be very funny if after hyping up his return Cavill got dropped and they recast/rebooted the role within the DCU. Still expect him to be the DCU’s Superman going forward but you never know. As for Batman I’m taking that as another sign that Affleck is out, now his post Flash return is gone which means they can just leave him out in the Multiverse until/unless they want to use him for a Crisis movie.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

spoilers:
    Why would you kill off Vulko off-screen? Unless Dafoe wasn't interested in coming back to begin with.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

How can Aquaman make so many awful mistakes in a sequel? I truly don't understand

I don’t think DC’s upcoming film slate is going to perform very well.

Shazam 2 - I expect a repeat of the first movie. Good critical scores, weak box office. It’s Shazam fighting a bunch of OC villains, I’m not seeing much hype for it. I expect around $400-500 million at most.

The Flash - This is the big wild card since while the test screenings make it seem like this will be well received by critics, and it’s “important” to the future of DC Films which means people are going to be curious to check this out, Miller being the star might negatively impact the reception. I could see this doing about $800 million if people don’t care about the Miller controversy, or I could see it only doing around $600 million if people do care about that.

Blue Beetle - Of the slate next year this is the one I think might be the big break out hit. First Latino hero of a solo movie, Blue Beetle is a well known and popular character thanks to being used in Batman: The Brave & The Bold cartoon and Injustice, and it looks fairly unique. If it reviews well I could see it taking off like Black Panther did and actually making a billion.

Aquaman 2 - First one did poorly in the States, it made most of its money overseas and was boosted by China. Now it won’t have China to give it a boost and it sounds worst than the first (which just barely got a “Fresh” score). I think this one will get rotten and underperform massively compared to the first.

So 3 films that do critically do well, Shazam 2 doing mediocrely commercially, The Flash and BB potentially doing great, and Aquaman 2 being a flop critically and commercially. Gunn and Safran should be able to pin any failings on Hamada, I’m sure Zaslav will point to him as the culprit for Black Adam, but Gunn and Safran will need to really come out swinging.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Be very funny if after hyping up his return Cavill got dropped and they recast/rebooted the role within the DCU. Still expect him to be the DCU’s Superman going forward but you never know. As for Batman I’m taking that as another sign that Affleck is out, now his post Flash return is gone which means they can just leave him out in the Multiverse until/unless they want to use him for a Crisis movie.
    I think Affleck's scene in Aquaman 2 was the same as Keaton's in case the movie was going to be released before The Flash. But now even Keaton is gone from the movie, it seems he is gradually disappearing from everything to be relegated in The Flash franchise as a time anomaly Barry has to fix. Or it's Gunn & Safran that has yet to figure it out what to do with these subplots and actors, but Gunn said to have sent notes to the filmakers for these movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Why would you kill off Vulko off-screen? Unless Dafoe wasn't interested in coming back to begin with.
    end of spoilers
    Or Wan didn't know what to do with the character anymore, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think DC’s upcoming film slate is going to perform very well.

Shazam 2 - I expect a repeat of the first movie. Good critical scores, weak box office. It’s Shazam fighting a bunch of OC villains, I’m not seeing much hype for it. I expect around $400-500 million at most.

The Flash - This is the big wild card since while the test screenings make it seem like this will be well received by critics, and it’s “important” to the future of DC Films which means people are going to be curious to check this out, Miller being the star might negatively impact the reception. I could see this doing about $800 million if people don’t care about the Miller controversy, or I could see it only doing around $600 million if people do care about that.

Blue Beetle - Of the slate next year this is the one I think might be the big break out hit. First Latino hero of a solo movie, Blue Beetle is a well known and popular character thanks to being used in Batman: The Brave & The Bold cartoon and Injustice, and it looks fairly unique. If it reviews well I could see it taking off like Black Panther did and actually making a billion.

Aquaman 2 - First one did poorly in the States, it made most of its money overseas and was boosted by China. Now it won’t have China to give it a boost and it sounds worst than the first (which just barely got a “Fresh” score). I think this one will get rotten and underperform massively compared to the first.

So 3 films that do critically do well, Shazam 2 doing mediocrely commercially, The Flash and BB potentially doing great, and Aquaman 2 being a flop critically and commercially. Gunn and Safran should be able to pin any failings on Hamada, I’m sure Zaslav will point to him as the culprit for Black Adam, but Gunn and Safran will need to really come out swinging.
    The Flash is going also to have competition from other movies releasing the same month.

More about the ambiguity surrounding Cavill in the post-Flash universe (he got paid for a pointless cameo with no spoken lines, yay!):

"Regarding Cavill I’ll say this. The movie doesn’t answer his fate. The ‘full extent’ of changes in the new timeline is left ambiguous"
    https://twitter.com/FlashFilmNews/st...71020900470784

"For the record, I've heard Cavill is in the movie very briefly but not in the final reboot timeline scene, and there's a meta crack from Barry referencing his absence.

Also heard the (apparently very funny) mid-credits scene with a drunken, confused Arthur being confused that Supergirl used to be Superman has been cut"
    https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/statu...53816583438336