Page 16 of 499 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Didn't Gunn original say that no one knows their plan but now people are already proving that wrong
    He’s getting ready to present his plan next week, not surprising some stuff might leak ahead of that. And he doesn’t say THR got his plan right, perhaps the only thing they correctly wrote was that Gunn/Safran rejected Jenkins WW3 pitch.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's not just Nolan esque, Man of Steel was Nolan's idea, he produced the film, suggested Snyder to direct and had David Goyer to write the script.
    And ironically enough was the one who advised him against the Zod neck snap.

Astonishing Member

According to Deadline, Jenkins refused to do a new vision of the script, and decided to quit the project all-together.

“Granted, the optics of Gunn and Peter Safran’s arrival at the studio, and the deep-sixing of Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 treatment doesn’t look good optically in the wake the diversity-led-and behind-the-scenes Batgirl getting killed, (that decision made by Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav). However, we’re hearing that Jenkins was given the chance to take another stab at a Wonder Woman 3 treatment after receiving notes from all Warner Bros. motion picture brass (it wasn’t just Gunn and Safran’s decision). There were concerns about character arcs and payoffs, and the threequel emulating similar structural problems ala Wonder Woman 1984. She decided to take her toys and go home. The studio would like to do another Wonder Woman, however, the question is will Gal Gadot do it sans Jenkins. Warners’ intent was never to be sexist, rather, the blowing up of Wonder Woman 3 came down to creative differences. Her tweet a day before yesterday’s chaotic news makes it sound like she’s still game. “

James Gunn Responds To ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Axing, Possible DC Franchise Turnover: “We Are Not Going To Make Every Single Person Happy”
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Sounds like Gunn is taking the Feige/Marvel Studios approach. Meaning you can put your own style on a film Raimi with Multiverse of Madness, Waititi and the Thor movies, Gunn's Guardians, Johnston's 1st Avenger, Whedon's Avengers and you can develop the story like Gunn writing creating the stories for the GOTG films, but there are limitations due to it being connected to a larger cinematic universe and storyline.

& even though they have a history Gunn wrote 2004's Dawn of the Dead I doubt Snyder will ever be back if such limitations are put in place.

Personally I see this as good usually I believe in giving a director free reign within reason, but when dealing with a larger franchise consistency is Paramount IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Sounds like Gunn is taking the Feige/Marvel Studios approach. Meaning you can put your own style on a film Raimi with Multiverse of Madness, Waititi and the Thor movies, Gunn's Guardians, Johnston's 1st Avenger, Whedon's Avengers and you can develop the story like Gunn writing creating the stories for the GOTG films, but there are limitations due to it being connected to a larger cinematic universe and storyline.

& even though they have a history Gunn wrote 2004's Dawn of the Dead I doubt Snyder will ever be back if such limitations are put in place.

Personally I see this as good usually I believe in giving a director free reign within reason, but when dealing with a larger franchise consistency is Paramount IMO.
    I think we've seen the struggles with this in Phase 4, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

In other words, no, there isn’t going to be a reboot. The plan right now is to seemingly stick with the old actors but take them in different directions.

Edit: It’s possible Deadline was hired to write a piece where the actors who might be on the outs try to pretend everything is fine.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-08-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Love how it says WW3 not going forward "was never anyone's intention to be sexist", as if cancelling a movie or rather parting ways with a director due to creative differences is somehow instantly supposed to be sexist. Who comes up with this stuff.

If it all boils down to WB not wanting to make another Wonder Woman flick that could potentially be as horrible as 84, then I say good on them for saying no. If there is a bigger effort to make sure they are crafting and green lighting quality scripts and Jenkins wasn’t going to budge, then it’s time to move on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Yes, please, let's all kiss Xi Jinping's Pooh-Bear ass as hard as possible. Screw that noise.
    Well, it's either placate the CCP's sensibilities, or simply scale back how films are done without the Chinese film market in mind.

The fact of the matter is that the BLACK ADAM film project may have made enough money to warrant a BLACK ADAM sequel, had it been released in China. We'll never know. What we DO know is that the film will fall $100M short, which means that there won't be a sequel. And, at the end of the day, box office receipts matters. I don't like it, but WB Studios need to adjust its approach in producing its films/streaming service. I want as many comic book IPs to be produced, but we also have to be realistic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Love how it says WW3 not going forward "was never anyone's intention to be sexist", as if cancelling a movie or rather parting ways with a director due to creative differences is somehow instantly supposed to be sexist. Who comes up with this stuff.
    That was always going to be the possible optics of the situation after Batgirl, so it makes sense they'd want to get out in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I want as many comic book IPs to be produced, but we also have to be realistic about it.
    I don't want as many comic book IPs to be produced ("as possible," I guess you meant to say?). I want good movies. And I don't want Xi Jinping to have absolute censorship power over Hollywood. You're free to prioritize differently, I guess.

I mean, seriously, you're urging studios to blacklist artists who've said anything that might piss off the CCP leadership. Maybe think about how you got to that point.
    Last edited by Yohei72; 12-08-2022 at 04:49 PM.

This part doesn't make sense:

Will there be a complete reboot of DC’s core stars? One studio insider tells us, “At no point was there any pre-conceived notions of not continuing with these actors. It all boils down to how The Flash (June 16) and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25) do at the box office.”
    So the decision to reboot or not comes down to the box office performance of Flash and Aquaman 2? Gunn is presenting his slate in some days, a decision would have certainly already been taken by 2024.

I suspect there are a lot of internal politics at play here. It's probably not a coincidence Variety published an article saying Black Adam lost millions of dollars only for Deadline to claim the opposite seemingly using some...let's say "creative accounting" a few hours later and then all this drama happens

If I had to guess, there are some people inside WBD pushing for a full reboot (and presumably recast with cheaper actors) and others who want to continue with Cavill, Gadot, Johnson, etc. These contradictory articles from THR and Deadline are just in-fighting.
    Last edited by Leancarp900; 12-08-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That was always going to be the possible optics of the situation after Batgirl, so it makes sense they'd want to get out in front of it.
    Batgirl was almost complete and cancelled after the fact, this is about parting ways with a director before anything was even shot. There's no similarity between these situations other than both movies having female protagonists, and from all we're hearing about these changes, it doesn't seem like only WW will be affected.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-09-2022 at 03:18 AM.

Just give Cavill his stand-alone Superman movie as a send-off and also reboot at the same time.

Seriously, what the hell. Then both sides are happy.