Page 148 of 499 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 7474

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In all honesty Shazam would have worked best as a 3-season series.

So, Season 1 Black Adam, Dr. Sivana and his family, & Season 3 Mr. Mind and the Monster Society.

The reason for this is Shazam's appeal is a kid who turns into an adult hero, but a film series as we see causes the actors to age out too fast.
    I still don't get why we're not getting Mr. Mind and the Monster Society in this movie. What was even the point of the post-credit scene?

And now we might never get to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't get why we're not getting Mr. Mind and the Monster Society in this movie. What was even the point of the post-credit scene?

And now we might never get to see that.
    The point was to probably set up a film 3 that now we'll never get.
    Sometimes Hollywood thinks too long term.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, people have been predicting superhero fatigue since the original Daredevil movie back in...03? Way back, well before the MCU.
    But they might be getting tired of the same type of quippy formulaic superhero film that is the MCU. Or they might be getting tired of a neverending story that's already gone through all its most popular characters. There's how many MCU movies now? Well over 20 - that's a hell of a commitment to one series. Or maybe the recent MCU outings are doing something different besides the quippy formula I'm tired of and fans aren't responding to the new direction (I don't know, I haven't seen Shang Chi, Eternals, SM: No Way Home, DS: MoM, maybe these films are actually different for all I know). Could be some other reason. But there's still an appetite for sci-fi fantasy action films, which ultimately is all superhero films are.
    There could be any explanation for it, but overall fatigue of a whole genre is doubtful.
    Yeah, agreed. Marvel’s current problems the face now have more to do with their quality control declined, and less to do with any fatigue of the genre.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Yeah, agreed. Marvel’s current problems the face now have more to do with their quality control declined, and less to do with any fatigue of the genre.
    They likely will be fine once GOTG 3 hits with it being Gunn's swansong.

Astonishing Member

IMO, it's less decline of quality control and more that Disney was forcing them to scale up and produce more new material and thus their preexisting staff were spread out too thin.

Has it declined, or is it our perceptions that changed after Endgame?

The last few films from Marvel's phase 3 were pretty amazing. That stretch from Ragnarok to Endgame had a lot of home runs. And I wonder if that made audiences expect too much from the "standard" Marvel movie. Because I've watched all the phase 4 stuff, and while all of it has problems and flaws, I don't generally see anything worse than what we always got from the MCU. It doesn't seem worse to me, it just seems the same. The stuff people complain about now with the MCU, those flaws have always been there, they're not new. To my mind, at least.

In any case it's something Fiege and Marvel need to contend with. If the quality hasn't changed but our expectations have, then these guys need to do something to raise the bar, or otherwise regain audience satisfaction. If the quality has actually dropped then obviously that needs to be addressed too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I rather skip the NTT and go for the modern runs because i wanna give Damian his own crew and stories than just redoing the old favorites.

But that feels too optimistic so I'm hoping we get a new spin on them.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-24-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

The last few films from Marvel's phase 3 were pretty amazing. That stretch from Ragnarok to Endgame had a lot of home runs. And I wonder if that made audiences expect too much from the "standard" Marvel movie. Because I've watched all the phase 4 stuff, and while all of it has problems and flaws, I don't generally see anything worse than what we always got from the MCU. It doesn't seem worse to me, it just seems the same. The stuff people complain about now with the MCU, those flaws have always been there, they're not new. To my mind, at least.

In any case it's something Fiege and Marvel need to contend with. If the quality hasn't changed but our expectations have, then these guys need to do something to raise the bar, or otherwise regain audience satisfaction. If the quality has actually dropped then obviously that needs to be addressed too.
    This is exactly what I see, too. Phase 4 isn't really any worse than Phase 1-2, imo. Phase 3 having so many back to back sucesses has skewed perception.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Ant-man 3 was nowhere near the level of panning it deserved, not great but it wasn't horrible like 90% of MCU films (I am perhaps one the few that hate Endgame that to me will always be the worst MCU film) I just feel like people are just getting fed up of the MCUness now
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I rather skip the NTT and go for the modern runs because i wanna give Damian his own crew and stories than just redoing the old favorites.

But that feels too optimistic so I'm hoping we get a new spin on them.
    I'm not exactly against it, but even the comics have bungled giving Damian his own generation. Jon was aged up, Maya and Collin are all but forgotten, his first TT team was an also ran of previous members, and the second was character assassination under Didio. Frankly, I would want at least Jon and one more established before trying to give Damian his own live action team. Just so the general audience isn't being slapped with tons of characters they've never heard of.

I would at least establish the NTT as existing, and a group that Dick spends part of his time with. That way there's precedence and an open door to making them a thing to catch onto that nostalgia of those that enjoyed the animated cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The point was to probably set up a film 3 that now we'll never get.
    Sometimes Hollywood thinks too long term.
    It doesn't seem like any of that setup is continued in the second film which makes it feel even more out of place.

I'm not sure if they were counting on Black Adam being able to appear because Dwayne Johnson wants nothing to do with Shazam but it just feels off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    IMO, it's less decline of quality control and more that Disney was forcing them to scale up and produce more new material and thus their preexisting staff were spread out too thin.
    I definitely think having to churn out so much content had it's drawbacks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think that’s a major factor in their declined quality control. They’re just making too much stuff. I’m glad to hear they’ll be releasing less stuff a year and give projects more time in the creative oven to refine them. I think that’ll help tremendously.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Ant-man 3 was nowhere near the level of panning it deserved, not great but it wasn't horrible like 90% of MCU films (I am perhaps one the few that hate Endgame that to me will always be the worst MCU film) I just feel like people are just getting fed up of the MCUness now
    Maybe? But even then, didn't a lot of phase 4 perform better domestically than the films preceding them, like Strange 1 and Ant 2? Eternals was one of the most watched films on D+ last year, I'm told. To me, that says audiences still want these movies and fatigue hasn't set in. Disappointment, maybe, but not fatigue.

I think there's channels online that want us to think the MCU/superhero genre is failing, because it fits the narrative certain people have been telling for fifteen years. And there's a lot we can point to and say "look at it fall down!" but most criticisms kinda boil down to the times we're in; pandemic, economic uncertainty, social upheaval, etc.

Or maybe the bubble finally is starting to burst, I'm certainly no prophet. Never expected this genre to stay on top of the Hollywood mountain forever, maybe this is when it starts to give up its monopoly. Or maybe it's just a weird time for cinema during a weird time for the world.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Maybe? But even then, didn't a lot of phase 4 perform better domestically than the films preceding them, like Strange 1 and Ant 2? Eternals was one of the most watched films on D+ last year, I'm told. To me, that says audiences still want these movies and fatigue hasn't set in. Disappointment, maybe, but not fatigue.

I think there's channels online that want us to think the MCU/superhero genre is failing, because it fits the narrative certain people have been telling for fifteen years. And there's a lot we can point to and say "look at it fall down!" but most criticisms kinda boil down to the times we're in; pandemic, economic uncertainty, social upheaval, etc.

Or maybe the bubble finally is starting to burst, I'm certainly no prophet. Never expected this genre to stay on top of the Hollywood mountain forever, maybe this is when it starts to give up its monopoly. Or maybe it's just a weird time for cinema during a weird time for the world.
    I mean even after the collapse of Batman and Robin we got Blade, X Men, and Spider Man films picking up steam.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    To be fair it seems like Marvel is also losing their grip at the box office. None of the MCU films last year hit a billion and Ant-Man 3 is looking to have a BVS level drop for second weekend… has superhero fatigue finally hit? All I hope is that Blue Beetle is good and successful leading to a trilogy of films and more in the new DCU
    Unless xmen or ff..i am pretty much tapped out with mcu.xmen with focus on other people not named wolverine..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"